DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
A few different questions Andy but 90% of them were pretty much the same. I didnt do any extra studying for it. Its not difficult and the hazard test is just the same too. It'll be no bother to you. I have to say I really miss the bike and hopefully I'll find the time to get it sorted soon.

Thanks - am sick of doing the Theory practice tests and some of those Hazard Perception examples on the Focus Essential DVD are atrocious - really bad quality and I feel like I have lived in Wales !!

I remember the car theory - a few random questions which threw me - like you approach an unmanned level crossing with gates and have checked with the signal operator, how do you proceed - open one gate, drive through and then open the next gate or open both gates etc... I thought what the Fu*k I cant remember reading this in the Highway Code !!

There was also one about Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and I thought WTF - I had not read any of this stuff !!!

I suppose at the end -of-the-day its common sense so I will just take my time and read the questions.

Well Chris, Motorcycle Theory Test completed.

50/50 for Theory
57/75 for Hazard Perception - I scored zero for one clip as it said I was clicking rhythmically !!

Glad its out of the way so I can concentrate on the driving test next Monday - have a lesson tonight, Wednesday and Friday.

Well done Andy.
Yes the car test is always the priority. Hope your lessons go well, let us know how you get on in your test.

Thanks Chris, Well tonight was OK.

Did the Turn in the Road (3-point turn) and reversing around a corner and what a corner, it was massive and went up a hill - my neck is still sore. Just couldn't get the hang of it. Its one they use for the actual test, hope the Fu*k I don't get that !!!!

The Instructor reckons my driving is fine - had been driving for 25 years but he is concerned I'm not moving off quick enough from junctions - still find it strange sitting at a junction in first gear - but hopefully this time next week I will have passed.

Ok...have received my full license in the post...finally

As Chris stated there is no R plate time...On the photographic part it says groups AM/A/B1/B/f/k/p/q...
Is group A not motorbikes exceeding 125cc?...this entitlement began in Jan 3013...during my ban...have I now got the bike license?

strontium, category A is indeed for large motorcycles. The same thing happened to me when I got my full licence in the post last week. Category A is on the plastic part along with all the other categories but on the paper part it is in the section called Provisional Entitlement. I phoned them yesterday to ask why it was there and they told me it was an admin error. It doesn't mean I now have a bike licence as their computer still shows my entitlement for bikes is provisional only. The girl asked me to send it back and they will re-issue it with the category removed. I can't be bothered to be honest. I thought I had inadvertently got my bike licence back without doing a test but sadly it isn't the case.

Also, the paper part of my licence shows an 'R' Driver Expiry Date of 25/04/2015 even though that shouldn't be there either. I assume that must be an admin error too. Silly buggers!

Cheers for clearing that up Chris....

The incompetence of Coleraine beggars belief...Fortunately I have no "R" on my license, just the bogus "A" lol...How the new licensing proposals from Stormont are going to be implemented by Swansea, remains to be seen after the demise of Coleraine...what a mess

Yip, they don't instill much confidence, do they? How are you coping with real driving now? I see Andy has his test next Monday, it would be nice to see a hat-trick of passes for us criminals! lol

Have to admit, I'm really enjoying it...I feel free again, not dependant on others...I'm mainly driving a Terrano 4x4 as I'm a named driver on the policy now and it's thirsty and cumbersome...I left my sister to the City Airport on Monday afternoon and the traffic was a bit mad...

Have had one near miss so far, pulling out of Girlfriends drive onto a busy road and find other drivers are in such a rush and taking so many chances it's crazy...haven't been above 60 mph yet as I've no need..

But overall it's bringing me an inner smile again

Best wishes to Andy for Monday

Yeah Guys - test on Monday.

Not long back after another lesson, what a nightmare - it was trying to do the corner turn and parallel park. I just could not get it right. Trying to do it how the instructor wanted it and it was not working - just hope it goes alright on the day and I either get the bay park or turn-in-the road.

Feel my confidence has been severely knocked tonight. Other than that the driving is fine.

I was the same Andy...couldn't get those two right...relying too much on mirrors...I was lucky and got the three point turn...

keep calm and if you feel you've made a blunder, don't panic and continue as best you can...there is no difference in a fault...it's at the examiners discretion whether it's minor or serious so what might seem major to you might only be a minor...I got stranded on a pedestrian crossing and could go neither back nor forward as it was a traffic jam...was certain I had failed but I guess the guy used common sense and gave me a break...

Best of luck mate

Thanks Strontium, have watched a few videos on YouTube and understand the theory of the parallel park, the instructor was mixing me up with instruction so I asked him if I could do it my way and managed to get it done but now understand what he was saying about one full turn of the wheel to the left so the car sits at 1 o'clock and then slowly bring the car in with one turn to the right etc.....

Know i will be 'bricking' it on Monday morning - will have 90 mins with him before test so will hopefully get a few more practice maneuvers completed.

Well Guys, driving test is in a few hours. Am nervous but excited that this nightmare 3+ years may soon be over. Have been chain smoking all weekend and have been taking Kalms for the nerves !!

Have studied the Show Me / Tell Me and watched a lot of instructional videos on uTube. Just hope all goes Ok on the day. Not a great day weather wise and hope the rain stays off.

Will let you know how I do - really hope its good news.

Car Practical Test just over and I passed - 5 minors !!

I was given the parallel park - my weakest of the reverses but it was 'spot on' as the examiner said.

My main minors, 3 was not staying well out from cars when passing, 1 for not signalling where necessary and 1 for keeping a safe distance behind another vehicle. That happened as a car in front of me turned into a minor road with me behind and she then decided to do a u-turn in the road just at the junction so I had to get close behind her as I didn't want to obstruct the main road I had just turned off. The examiner said he could have failed me due to that but even he couldn't fault my action as no-one was aware she was going to do that at a junction as he had assumed she was going to drive on and not do a u-turn at a busy junction.

Am so relieved that is over - my nerves were unbelievable, am still shaking and test finished about an hour ago.

Chris, all I kept saying to myself during the test was 'keep your eyes on the prize' !!

WELL DONE ANDY!!

Congratulations, glad to hear you got through ok. Doesn't matter if it's no minors or 15 of them, it's still a pass and that's all that counts. It's good to hear your examiner had a bit of common sense too.

Congratulations Andy...That's the three of us through...I had the same minor as you...someone stopped just after a pelican crossing as a lorry was coming...gridlock..stuck with back wheels on crossing so drove bumper to bumper with the car in front to clear the crossing...fortunately, common sense prevailed and the examiner passed me...

Enjoy your new-found freedom

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off