DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
strontium

Best wishes for your test on Thursday. I'm sure it will all be fine and you'll get through ok. Keep your eyes on the prize buddy!

You'll be fine. I was nervous as hell to begin with. When John and I arrived at the test centre I felt like running away and forgetting about it but as soon as it started I seemed to calm down a lot. I think it was because I knew in the back of my mind I could do it. All those years of driving had to count for something and even though the test procedures took a wee bit of time getting used to I knew my overall driving was good enough. Yours must be as good as mine so don't worry yourself into making a mistake. On the recommendation of my sister I went to the chemist and bought a thing called Bach Rescue Remedy. You put 3 or 4 drops on your tongue about 4 times a day and it's meant to calm you down. On the packet it says it's good for people taking exams and driving tests etc. It's a herbal product so there's nothing dangerous in it. I took it and I really believe it helped.

Thanks Chris...I know my driving is fine too...just worried I'll make a stupid mistake like forget to check a blind spot or something...I'll maybe try that Bachs stuff tomorrow...

How many lessons did you guys have before the test.

I tried several independent Driving Instructors and only one replied who is booked over May - doing driving instructions for schools. I managed to book with a driving school company.

They are charging £75.00 for 5 lessons and £100 for the use of the car for the test and an hours lesson beforehand - very pricey !!

Andy
I had 3 lessons plus a quick half hour or so before the test. The instructor that I used (same one being used by strontium) told me that it's a rip off that many instructors charge £100 for the use of the car during the test. He told me they usually say it's because of insurance purposes but this is untrue and they use it just to get more money. The car is insured during the test in the same way it's insured during your lessons and there is no genuine reason why they should charge it. It doesn't cost them any more, after all their car is going to be used for lessons and tests all the time. On the day of my test he charged me £30 in total for the half hour and the use of his car. His lessons are £22 each so overall, for everything, he charged me just £96 which I thought was very fair. He's based in Downpatrick, it's a pity you're not a bit closer as he really is a sound guy.

strontium
don't get too hung up on that changing from 1st to 3rd gear stuff. I didn't do it once in my test. There were parts of the route where maybe I could have done it but I didn't bother with it. And you won't be shafted for changing down through the gears either. Use the gears the way it suits you (but don't be coasting in neutral)........that way you'll feel more confident overall. There is no strict rule about it. Good luck for this evening buddy. You'll do great!

WOO HOO!! Well done strontium. Great news. How did it go then? What manoeuvre did you get? Anything else worth mentioning??

Great News Strontium - Congratulations.

Just me to go now - first 2 hour lesson tomorrow afternoon, really looking forward to getting behind the wheel again.

Just me to go now

The ball is in your court now Andy lol!!! I'm sure you'll be spot on when you get behind the wheel. On reflection I have to say I did enjoy it all. A little bit apprehensive maybe...but overall it was a great experience.

Thanks guys...Was nerve wracking...the good thing was John (the instructor) told me if I made a mistake to continue normally as it might only be a minor...the 3 point turn ( my manoeuvre) was fine however Downpatrick was chocker block...I turned onto Market street from the Down Recorder Office direction and it was blocked...then the light turned red...leaving me beached across the pedestrian crossing....tried to squeeze out of the traffic by going right up to the bumper of the car in front..seen the examiner writing something down...was convinced I had failed so just drove back to the test centre as if I wasn't doing the test...thoughts of rebooking the test etc...

To my surprise he told me I had passed...only one minor...not keeping a safe distance (that was the aforementioned driving too close)...

Thought the examiner was pretty lenient

Am elated...

Hi Chris, yes I had another lesson last night. Have 3 next week and the test on 19th May. I also have the motorcycle theory exam on 12 May.

Driving is OK, still getting used to not working down the gears when coming to a junction and 'feeling the bite' before I release the handbrake when moving off !!

Going to work on my manouveres next time but hoping all goes well on the day.

How does it feel to be driving again - am sure you have back into the bad habits !!

I was straight back to my bad habits the next day Andy. lol
I'm feeling great to be honest. It really is a buzz. The novelty and enjoyment of driving never wore off me when I first passed my test at 17 so it's like passing all over again. I'd drive from the kitchen to the living room if I could!

Ha, Ha Chris.

Meant to ask about the Motorcycle Theory - did you find much difference with the Car Theory test; as in how many questions were specifically related to motorcycle questions.

Have learnt a lot from mainly doing these test questions - rear wheel skid, carrying a heavy load, the lifesaver glance etc......

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off