DVLNI Medical Northern Ireland

Convicted Driver Insurance
Congratulations Andy...That's the three of us through.....

Makes you wonder what all the fuss was about!! lol
icon6.png

Thanks Guys - for all your support throughout this ordeal.

Just been out and bought a car !! Had a test drive and it was so comfortable driving again, with my old bad habits.

Its a 2012 Seat Ibiza, 1.4 SE 3dr. Reduced from £8k to £7.5k with 9800 miles and taxed until February next year. I had arranged a loan but they offered me a finance deal which includes the next 2 services free. Their deal is £5pm extra over 4 years. Thought with 2 free services I may as well. They had other older models with more mileage at the same price and when I asked the dealer he said its probably a pricing mistake - wonder if I should get it checked out. Hopefully you can see from the following link. I don't know much about cars so not sure if this is a good deal.

Meant to say there is no spare wheel with it !!

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uv...4059&largeId=f5b5ec4128e3c5f75fc874411416cbf6

Last edited:
Feck, you didn't hang about Andy!! lol
Lovely looking car. I like that colour, and Seat's are fabulously reliable. I hope you enjoy it. The price doesn't look silly to me but even if it was I bet you'll be driving it with a HUUGGEE grin on your face!

Thanks Chris - yeah I will be smiling - you may even see me next Monday, Bank Holiday, cruising through Dundrum via Castlewellan on the way to Newcastle !!

I didnt want to tempt fate by arranging a loan in case I failed today but saw that car online last week and really liked it and thought why wait as I can't really get to visit many of the Dealerships in Belfast without a car.

Really will be glad to get driving again. I live 5 miles, as the crow flies, from work and I have to get 2 buses in the morning and 2 buses in the evening. On a good day it can take 40 mins but the other week it took over 90mins to get to work.

Question about what to do next. The Examiner told me to get a DL1 Form and return it with the pass certificate and provisional licence. Reading the DL1 Form it says:

"If your NI provisional licence was issued on or after 1st April 1999, you do not have to complete a form unless you have changed your name."

Am unclear as to whether to complete the DL1 now - what did you and Strontium do? Is there another fee also to be paid ??

Andy...when I passed the test the examiner asked me if I wanted them to sort out the new license so he took the provisional and the full license was posted out..
great to be driving again, isn't it?

Thanks Chris - will do that tonight.

Strontium - my examiner said to me after the test that he couldn't arrange to send my provisional licence to get the full licence and he told me to go back into the test centre and get a DL1 Form and do it myself !!!

Yes it was great to be driving again - albeit a quick 20 min test drive - but so looking forward to being back on the road again.

I phoned Coleraine earlier and they state if I have both parts of the provisional license I just need to send them back with the Test Pass certificate otherwise I would need to complete the DL1 Form if I did not have the counterpart of the licence.

I will post that today and hopefully I will get my full licence back in 2 weeks !!

Andy...when mine finally came in the post, it was such a feeling of relief...the 3 and a half year nightmare was finally over..no more worries about courts, medicals, theory test, lessons, practical test...could have framed it...the standard of my life improved immediately...this forum helped especially this thread...all the best for the future

Yeah - I feel the same, it just seemed since the ban ended 5 months ago it has been torture waiting for the medical, then the results, then getting the provisional licence and the theory test as well as the test yesterday.

My worries still are not over as I work for NICS and didn't tell them about the DD conviction, the second time. Over the next few months I will be doing work that requires me to have a Counter Terrorist Check (CTC) completed and they check for criminal records, don't know how I will explain that when it comes out !!

On a better note I got a few Insurance quotations from a price comparison website for the Seat Ibiza and the cheapest is quoting £383 fully comprehensive and that was me giving the DD Conviction and the driving whilst disqualified conviction. Have to say the dearest quote was £8000 !!

Well Strontium & Chris,

Driving Licence finally received today and Coleraine seem to have got all the details correct.

Been driving 2 weeks and its great getting out-and-about again and not having to depend on taxis and buses.

Am trying hard not to get into the old bad habits, am taking my time, being patient, leaving the correct separation distances, NOT drink and drive, etc.... but do not think I will try the eco-driving I was taught in the test - still don't agree with stopping whilst in gear but then again its what is perceived as 'coasting'.

Was a bit wary about driving the car with no licence just in case I was stopped so been making a detour around the Police Barracks and trying to avoid the ANPR cameras but have not had seen many Police Cars whilst driving to and from work.

While it's great driving again, I've noticed that everyone else's driving has deteriorated somewhat...I drive a lot on narrow country roads and have to pull in and stop whenever I meet someone, frequently...they hog the middle of the road and are flying and never even slow...women in giant 4x4s are the worst, followed to a close second by work vans...

As for the eco driving...I forgot about that on the way home from the test...I never change from 4th to 1st or stop while braking in gear....except for meeting women driving 4x4s

Hi Andy and strontium, how's it going lads?
It's now 5 or 6 weeks since I passed my test and to be honest I feel as if the nightmare of DD never happened. I don't even think about my ban anymore whereas before it was on my mind every fekkin day. I jump into my car without a thought or a care of any kind. I drive exactly the way I did before my ban and it feels as if normal life has resumed for me.

Well fellas

Glad yous are enjoying being able to drive again.. Just wanted to say thanks for putting my mind at ease after i was caught and before court.. Was a horrible time.. Im 2 months into my ban which isnt going too bad.. I havent really missed my car alot if im honest.. Plus i work with my best mate who is currently waiting to do his driving test and he is on my insurance on my car so il soon have a full time chaueffeur =) I have booked the DD course for Oct and i will be allowed to apply for my licence from 16 Jan 2015.. All i can hope is that i dont have to do the medical and extended test, and that insurance wont be sky high.. If i apply for my licence on 16 Jan im hoping to have a few lessons and my tests done and back on the road for hopefully middle / end of Feb.. Thanks again lads and enjoy the driving

Hey Chris - 4 weeks today since I passed test. Glad its all over and now back to normal. Great to drive to work again and not depend on Translink anymore. Its nice to drive past Police Cars and not worry about getting pulled over and now just getting on with life. Don't come on this site as often now - reminds me of bad days but it really was nice chatting to you guys, especially the way our bans and driving test all seemed to be at the same time.

Gutted hard to believe its 2 months since the ban - wont be long until you are back on the road again.

Does anyone know whether the DVLNI medical is still using LFT as their test for excessive drinking while you are banned, or have they switched to the CDT test? I'm sure I read a link about it ages ago, but can't find it now!

Ah, that's a bugger - looks like I'll be giving up the grog for longer before my medical then! Cheers for the reply!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off