Post medical wait update

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi everyone. I am so disappointed to read this thread but thank you all for sharing as it helps manage my expectations. I got my ban reduced from three years to two years by the mags. I informed the dvla immediately on 18 June 2021 which was 4 weeks ago. I immediately told the DVLA and filled out the correct forms. I phoned the medical department twice and I was told “you need to wait your turn like everyone else”. They guy I spoke to the second time was so rude to me.
One of the reasons I was given my licence back early was due to my wife’s poor health. The fact that I was unable to drive was causing huge issues for other people. However the dvla do not care one bit about this. It looks as though there is nothing I can do to speed things up although if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Hi everyone. I am so disappointed to read this thread but thank you all for sharing as it helps manage my expectations. I got my ban reduced from three years to two years by the mags. I informed the dvla immediately on 18 June 2021 which was 4 weeks ago. I immediately told the DVLA and filled out the correct forms. I phoned the medical department twice and I was told “you need to wait your turn like everyone else”. They guy I spoke to the second time was so rude to me.
One of the reasons I was given my licence back early was due to my wife’s poor health. The fact that I was unable to drive was causing huge issues for other people. However the dvla do not care one bit about this. It looks as though there is nothing I can do to speed things up although if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath for it being resolved in a very timely manner! I don't know if it would help, but it might be worth getting your local MP involved

MP's aren't very quick to publicly help convicted drink drivers, doesn't look great for polling. I contacted mine when I was dealing with them in 2019 and was told in polite terms that I had made my own bed and now it was time to sleep in it.

MP's aren't very quick to publicly help convicted drink drivers, doesn't look great for polling. I contacted mine when I was dealing with them in 2019 and was told in polite terms that I had made my own bed and now it was time to sleep in it.
Yeah that’s the attitude I got from the Dvla. It’s so frustrating. I had my last drink in April 2019 which was when I was convicted. The legal system has removed my ban but I am now forced to wait due to a government department being incredibly slow. I know that people don’t have sympathy but it’s incredibly difficult.

I agree that this is their sentiment, and there is some truth in the making our own bed etc. However, the fact that a tax payer funded government department has for years been unwieldy, unaccountable and generally not fit for purpose SHOULD be something that they see a need to address. Also, let’s not forget that there are many people at the mercy of this shambolic organisation who were required to relinquish licences for medical problems quite out of their control. It is unjust that they are hampered in their attempts to get them back.

I will. However in the meantime, if you haven’t already confirmed it , I suggest you check with them that they acknowledge receipt of everything and that it’s all on their system. At every stage of my process they have stated they have not received something and it has had to be resent.
While I agree with what you are saying, how on earth have you managed to contact the reclusive DVLA? I've called a couple of times and took me 40+ goes to get through.

While I agree with what you are saying, how on earth have you managed to contact the reclusive DVLA? I've called a couple of times and took me 40+ goes to get through.
Repeatedly ringing. The last few times it has taken fewer attempts but that may be chance.

One of the reasons I was given my licence back early was due to my wife’s poor health. The fact that I was unable to drive was causing huge issues for other people. However the dvla do not care one bit about this. It looks as though there is nothing I can do to speed things up although if anyone has any suggestions I would

Not a bad reply from my local MP

Not a bad reply from my local MP
The problem is there appears to be a catch 22 situation. The demand from the public is that DVLA get more staff (which will take quite some time to recruit and train, plus obtaining DBS clearance) Whereas the Union claim is that there are too many staff onsite already to have a safe and Covid compliant working environment, hence their strike.
You can see the PCS union case in the link to the video below. It seems that PCS have something of a political agenda, as they previously called for industrial action to bring down the Conservative Government, and I not that the union rep. In the interview was wearing a T-shirt with the large logo: “you’re never more than 10ft from a Tory” - with a drawing of a rat next to the word Tory……
Either way, people who are entitled to get their licences back are losing out big time.

The problem is there appears to be a catch 22 situation. The demand from the public is that DVLA get more staff (which will take quite some time to recruit and train, plus obtaining DBS clearance) Whereas the Union claim is that there are too many staff onsite already to have a safe and Covid compliant working environment, hence their strike.
You can see the PCS union case in the link to the video below. It seems that PCS have something of a political agenda, as they previously called for industrial action to bring down the Conservative Government, and I not that the union rep. In the interview was wearing a T-shirt with the large logo: “you’re never more than 10ft from a Tory” - with a drawing of a rat next to the word Tory……
Either way, people who are entitled to get their licences back are losing out big time.

Such rhetoric from the Unions is unhelpful . I feel however , that whilst Covid has exacerbated the situation, there have been significant , fundamental, structural problems within the DVLA for years. There is an air of unaccountability that is unheard of in other major governmental organisations , or indeed anywhere , the « systems « are archaic, I doubt that there is any effective management structure or strategy , and in this context it isn’t a surprise at all that they suffered what they are calling the worst workplace Covid outbreak . Successive governments have presided over this . Rant rant 😂

Agreed. Seems that the union have a political agenda to cause chaos within the DVLA. It doesn't help that Wales has never been a supporter of the Torys and this will exacerbate anti Tory feelings amongst Welsh people.

Such rhetoric from the Unions is unhelpful . I feel however , that whilst Covid has exacerbated the situation, there have been significant , fundamental, structural problems within the DVLA for years. There is an air of unaccountability that is unheard of in other major governmental organisations , or indeed anywhere , the « systems « are archaic, I doubt that there is any effective management structure or strategy , and in this context it isn’t a surprise at all that they suffered what they are calling the worst workplace Covid outbreak . Successive governments have presided over this . Rant rant 😂
Would it be possible to complain or raise a partition from all those affected so the government can act and sort out the disarray in the DVLA? We need to create awareness and I feel we are all ranting on this site but it's not getting us anywhere.

Reactions: RSC
I've just got through on the phone and my paperwork is STILL waiting to be reviewed! So no clue if they'll need to contact my GP which will take even longer! The who system and process is just wrong! I bet they're all happy to go to Aldi and get their special buys amongst crowd's of people who haven't sanitised their hands, but won't sit next to the same person all day whilst at work...

I've just got through on the phone and my paperwork is STILL waiting to be reviewed! So no clue if they'll need to contact my GP which will take even longer! The who system and process is just wrong! I bet they're all happy to go to Aldi and get their special buys amongst crowd's of people who haven't sanitised their hands, but won't sit next to the same person all day whilst at work...
Why can't they work from home? I'm a contractor and work for a local authority from home. It doesn't stack up for me. How did you manage to get through to DVLA. I normally get the message that they cant answer due to high Volumes?

Yet another day with zip in the post from DVLA and I am beyond furious with their continued incompetency and outdated bureaucracy. If they were in the private sector, they would have been deemed not fit for purpose and the Chief Exec (if not others) sacked.

They still refuse to acknowledge that my ban was revoked SIX months ago. For the poster above in a similar situation, raise a formal complaint - details on the website. I'm in stage three of this which is supposed to be acknowledged within 14 working days. A month on, I'm still waiting to hear from the Independent Complaints Assessor. (Reading last years DVLA complaints report, there are only two ICA's who work part time from home, so that doesn't bode well).

For those of you who have asked or involved MPs, I thought that was the final stage of the DVLA complaints procedure? Did they not ask you about that? Mind you, I presume not everybody has a detailed knowledge of the DVLA's complaints procedure.

I'm am so frustrated with the Swansea lot that I have looked at raising a case in the Magistrates Court. However, this will cost £££ and I'm not in a position to pay that. Would be very happy to go along with Cafl2014's suggestion. With the news that medical results are taking at least three months to be reviewed, it could very likely be that I get my licence back a whole year later than I should have. Let's not even mention the loss of my protected NCB and MOT/service paid for plan

Why can't they work from home? I'm a contractor and work for a local authority from home. It doesn't stack up for me. How did you manage to get through to DVLA. I normally get the message that they cant answer due to high Volumes?

There may be certain basic functions that could be done from home, and I think they are, but the post goes to DVLA offices and someone has to sort them out first. I read somewhere that they have a backlog of 400,000 paper applications there. Then there is the issue about medical applications where some very sensitive material can be involved. These are the ones that they do not want dealing with via remote access even when they come to the top of the pile.
There is also considerable delay (up to 12 weeks) where they have to send enquiries to a persons’ GP, some of which seem reluctant to prioritise the completion of the forms.
I have a relative who works for the military and he had to jump through enormous hoops before he could be granted permission to log in from home. His family members had to be vetted as well because they could possibly gain access to the confidential databases.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off