Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance
Status
Not open for further replies.

anna498

I had my medical a couple of weeks ago,rang DVLA today they have my results in but they want information from my doctor? Is this something they do with everyone? I abstained for just over 8 months from my conviction date,had a drink boxing day then nothing till mid January which was two bottles of wine I then had my medical I think about 9 days later Im so paranoid I can't bludy sleep! I hope to god I get it back

I had my medical a couple of weeks ago,rang DVLA today they have my results in but they want information from my doctor? Is this something they do with everyone? I abstained for just over 8 months from my conviction date,had a drink boxing day then nothing till mid January which was two bottles of wine I then had my medical I think about 9 days later Im so paranoid I can't bludy sleep! I hope to god I get it back
If you ticked yes to anything on the form or declared drinking anything over 6 units (or as it seems recently ANY drinking) they will contact your doctor.

I'm not sure what effect 2 bottles of wine would have had on your cdt levels.

I obviously told the truth about the bottles of wine she was like "oh you should be fine"
The whole test was over within not even five mins,she fired the questions at me so fast that I had to ask her to slow down because I couldn't keep up especially the questions about units,I said I hadn't drank in 8 months she said it's the last 12 so it was confusing me I couldn't work it out at the pace she wanted me to
I was under the impression I would be given the questionaire to fill out before the appointment, anyway it got filled out either way

After my conviction I was really low,I spoke to my GP,not directly about drinking but that was mentioned but in a positive way as I said I had cut it out due to it having negative effects in my life,that's what I'm worried about,my records having drink mentioned in it,especially after what I have been reading

I obviously told the truth about the bottles of wine she was like "oh you should be fine"
The whole test was over within not even five mins,she fired the questions at me so fast that I had to ask her to slow down because I couldn't keep up especially the questions about units,I said I hadn't drank in 8 months she said it's the last 12 so it was confusing me I couldn't work it out at the pace she wanted me to
I was under the impression I would be given the questionaire to fill out before the appointment, anyway it got filled out either way

After my conviction I was really low,I spoke to my GP,not directly about drinking but that was mentioned but in a positive way as I said I had cut it out due to it having negative effects in my life,that's what I'm worried about,my records having drink mentioned in it,especially after what I have been reading
Hiya when I went to doctors regarding getting my first licence I was honest and told them I had 10 months abstinence, however I was refused and told I had to be abstinent for a full 12 months. As it stands now I believe they expect no alcohol at all fir around 7 years at least that's how it is if your HRO. X

Hiya when I went to doctors regarding getting my first licence I was honest and told them I had 10 months abstinence, however I was refused and told I had to be abstinent for a full 12 months. As it stands now I believe they expect no alcohol at all fir around 7 years at least that's how it is if your HRO. X
Eh I don't understand though IV never had any alcohol dependency it was my first offence I understand I'm classed as a HRO as I blew 87 so why would they expect anyone to remain sober for 7 years before been able to get there licence back? I'm really confused 😭 X

Eh I don't understand though IV never had any alcohol dependency it was my first offence I understand I'm classed as a HRO as I blew 87 so why would they expect anyone to remain sober for 7 years before been able to get there licence back? I'm really confused 😭 X
If there is nothing about alcohol misuse or dependence on your record you might be ok tbh it really has been pot luck with akot of people. Something is usually a flag to make them contact your gp but not always. In my case it was the mental health question I've been in this hell since 2019. I received a 1 year license in Feb 2022 it took that long with covid etc. I'm driving now on s88 and likely to be with the state the dvla are in atm .I really hope you have no more stumbling blocks but keep at your doctors they don't act quickly with things like this and that can cause even more hold ups 😏

I went to the doctor's after the offence I was really low and didn't know how to get myself out of it,alcohol was mentioned but in a positive way saying id cut out drinking,the appointment wasn't directly about drinking it was asking for help with feeling the way I was,we spoke about several things,maybe thats going to stop them giving my licence back,iv read some awful awful stories some people not getting it back because they have a history of depression on there gp records etc it just all seems so wrong

I mean I am fully aware of what I did and it was wrong and iv sure as hell learned from it and there's not a chance I would ever put myself or anyone through this again or anyone on danger,I also understand people do do it again and that's why they make decisions like they do

I sort of took it as a blessing in disguise really,initially it was a horrible feeling I was really really low hence going to the docs but then I managed to turn things around and use it as a positive,iv walked pretty much everywhere I can lost nearly a stone in weight,cut out alcohol until Xmas and because I was never a alcoholic in the first place I enjoyed a drink at Xmas and went out with the girls mid Jan

This is just awful I just want it over and done with

I went to the doctor's after the offence I was really low and didn't know how to get myself out of it,alcohol was mentioned but in a positive way saying id cut out drinking,the appointment wasn't directly about drinking it was asking for help with feeling the way I was,we spoke about several things,maybe thats going to stop them giving my licence back,iv read some awful awful stories some people not getting it back because they have a history of depression on there gp records etc it just all seems so wrong

I mean I am fully aware of what I did and it was wrong and iv sure as hell learned from it and there's not a chance I would ever put myself or anyone through this again or anyone on danger,I also understand people do do it again and that's why they make decisions like they do

I sort of took it as a blessing in disguise really,initially it was a horrible feeling I was really really low hence going to the docs but then I managed to turn things around and use it as a positive,iv walked pretty much everywhere I can lost nearly a stone in weight,cut out alcohol until Xmas and because I was never a alcoholic in the first place I enjoyed a drink at Xmas and went out with the girls mid Jan

This is just awful I just want it over and done with
It is awful your right unfortunately if its a one off or repeated they don't see a difference and don't take into account the positive steps alot of us have taken. I Hooe you get good news keep us up to date x

It is awful your right unfortunately if its a one off or repeated they don't see a difference and don't take into account the positive steps alot of us have taken. I Hooe you get good news keep us up to date x
It is awful your right unfortunately if its a one off or repeated they don't see a difference and don't take into account the positive steps alot of us have taken. I Hooe you get good news keep us up to date

I'm gonna ring the docs on Monday to try push things because these sleepless nights are driving me mad I need the anxiety of it to just go away,like you said it seems potluck with alot of what iv read,people getting it back no problems even with drinking up until there medical and then others not it seems crazy,I duno,suppose I need to stop thinking about it too much I'm driving myself mad,I will keep updated thankyou x

Anna

It is completely normal for the DVLA medical team to contact your GP. Just out of curiosity - have you been labelled 'dependant' or 'misuser' by the DVLA?

If there is even a whiff of anything alcohol related in your GP medical history from the last seven years, there is a likelihood you will be placed into either category depending on the circumstances.

If there is zero history of any alcohol problems you will be absolutely fine.

CJ

Hi Anna, it’s sounds like you’ve had a time of it just recently and I’m sorry to hear this, however with regards to your medical, you mentioned you ticked yes to drinking and abstained for 8 months then the Gp says 12 months, plus the fact that your medical forms reads “ as a result of your alcohol dependence “ because your classed as an HRO, did you tick yes to any “mental health questions in the last three years “ ? Yes Dvla will investigate like they do with many and they know from a drink driving case that there could be underlying problems such as drinking and anxiety because these go hand in hand, drinking relieves the anxiety, however when they do write out to your Gp they will be looking for confirmation that these conditions are controlled through your Gp and where necessary medication is taken that controls the condition making us “fit to drive” , somewhere down the line it’s quite possible to have been diagnosed dependent/misuse by a Gp without you knowing for a short period of time, we know you are not dependent but could of been in your darkest days making this then “a history of alcohol dependence “ which the Dvla responds to, make an appointment with your Gp as you say and confirm with them that they do not have any concerns about your fitness to drive, mentioning your mental health and the last time you consumed alcohol, the dates you put on the medical form for the two bottles of wine, remember these always if your case is a refusal as these dates are to be documented with your Gp as part of your medical evidence going forward….these dates then will prove part of your 12 months abstinence should your case be a refusal and can be used to apply for your license next time …

Last edited:
Anna

It is completely normal for the DVLA medical team to contact your GP. Just out of curiosity - have you been labelled 'dependant' or 'misuser' by the DVLA?

If there is even a whiff of anything alcohol related in your GP medical history from the last seven years, there is a likelihood you will be placed into either category depending on the circumstances.

If there is zero history of any alcohol problems you will be absolutely fine.

CJ
No not been labelled either but as said in a previous post that alcohol was mentioned when I went to the doctor's about how I was feeling but it was more of how I'd cut it out rather than missusing etc so that's why I think they won't pass me due to that,I duno think I'm reading too much into it x

No not been labelled either but as said in a previous post that alcohol was mentioned when I went to the doctor's about how I was feeling but it was more of how I'd cut it out rather than missusing etc so that's why I think they won't pass me due to that,I duno think I'm reading too much into it x

anna

The DVLA medical team are okay if you disclose drinking under the recommended daily units if you are NOT a dependant or a misuser. I can't honestly see a problem with your circumstances from what you have described and I cannot see why they would refuse your licence.

CJ

I had no dependacy or abuse on my medical records. I blew 97 and told the doc I had 2 beers 3 months before my appointment. I ticked yes to mental health.

I got my full licence back. There does seem to be a harsher route being taken, but maybe this is just on people who's medical records state some kind of issue with alcohol

I had in fact drank about 4 weeks before my test. 1 drink with friends turned in to 10 one day. But my score came back at .9.
I had been abstinent for 8 weeks before that night though. My drinking habits before the abstinence was 1 night out out every couple of months x

Don’t think 7 years is correct from all my research what I can make out from 5 months of reading here and else we’re “ basically no licence will be issued if there is persistent misuse or dependency in the last 6/12 months or current evidence of missuse or dependancy ( which would show on bloods ) it’s boils down to this end of the day

Mines the other way around as I wrote on initial forms I was on anti depressants for many years and declared them a long time ago and aloud to drive so waited ages for dvla to contact my GP only past 2 weeks n GP phoned me and went through t form dvla sent them and filled it in over the phone and GP gave me full backing for me to drive So now I’m waiting letter for dvla medical hopefully soon as ban ended November 🤯

Don’t think 7 years is correct from all my research what I can make out from 5 months of reading here and else we’re “ basically no licence will be issued if there is persistent misuse or dependency in the last 6/12 months or current evidence of missuse or dependancy ( which would show on bloods ) it’s boils down to this end of the day
They go back 7 years on your medical records to see if there is any history of alcohol dependence or misuse if either is confirmed you will be required to abstain for 6/12 months.

They go back 7 years on your medical records to see if there is any history of alcohol dependence or misuse if either is confirmed you will be required to abstain for 6/12 months.
Hmmm strange I know someone last year had his licence back for the 4th time lifetime history of alcohol abuse and not even joking he’d drank a bottle of brandy the day before the dvla medical and passed he’s driving now do you have a link as I’ve not seen this online Interesting to look into

Hmmm strange I know someone last year had his licence back for the 4th time lifetime history of alcohol abuse and not even joking he’d drank a bottle of brandy the day before the dvla medical and passed he’s driving now do you have a link as I’ve not seen this online Interesting to look into
I can see this on form I think you do with dvla medical DR doesn’t say you’ll have to abstain 6/12 months tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off