Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I'm waiting for lisence back completed medical not dependent or ever been but they still sent forms to my GP is this a normal thing they do for everyone now? Or were my bloods not up to scratch?

I'm waiting for lisence back completed medical not dependent or ever been but they still sent forms to my GP is this a normal thing they do for everyone now? Or were my bloods not up to scratch?
Normal I think. They like to dig for other reasons to ban you. Hopefully your doctor says no issues. Hopefully you didnt admit to any drug use at all in last 3 years. Or you may have another year on your hands so they can drug test in 12 months time. Thays how they got me. Asked me about my past then told me they want to now see 12 months sobriety for all substances.

Normal I think. They like to dig for other reasons to ban you. Hopefully your doctor says no issues. Hopefully you didnt admit to any drug use at all in last 3 years. Or you may have another year on your hands so they can drug test in 12 months time. Thays how they got me. Asked me about my past then told me they want to now see 12 months sobriety for all substances.
Never done drugs and never said to the GP anything about drinking to much I take anti depressants for anxiety but told the DVLA doctor that it's not a problem so hopefully that doesn't effect anything I mean it shouldn't but it's taking me 5 months to get to this point so I hope not as it doesn't effect driving. Also the doctor who filled it in has known me since I was 5 I'm now 23 so she knows me pretty well

Hi there. I recently had my medical and DVLA have written to me telling me i have to provide evidence that I have not had any alcohol for a year. I went to my doctors straight away and logged with then that I have stopped drinking and asked them to do regular testing. They refused to do this saying it’s not NHS work and to speak to the DVLA and ask them what to do. I phoned DVLA and they told me that they need regular testing and I have to provide the evidence??? I explained my doctor was reluctant to do this but they told me to ring the doctor and tell them to ring the DVLA and ask to speak to a doctor in the medical department to explain how to start providing the evidence. I phoned the doctor back, he’s still saying it’s private work but said he would call them.... NEXT THURSDAY!!! That’s another week gone by!!! I’m at my wits end here, how the hell do I prove my abstinence from alcohol?? I’m going to ring the DVLA tomorrow morning and ask to speak to a doctor myself, I can’t wait another week I want to get the ball rolling. Can anyone shed any light on how you prove to the DVLA you have been abstinent from alcohol for a year?
Hi, did you declare in your medical drinking in past year?
My background is alcohol misuse but I've prepared myself for the worst being classed dependent reading some misjudgement here. It was only by chance I had decided to go abstinent as after seeking help a few years ago for binging, I managed my trigger and from there got over it but decided I was happier without anyway. Thank god because I'd have been shocked reading these. Anyhow, my last binge was 2+ years ago, then abstinent for about 8 months then controlled drinking for 2 months (wedding etc in summer) 1 year 8 months ago, just testing my limits but decided I felt better not drinking than controlled. So 20 months since last drink. I had my medical declaring this, non the wiser about these forums. Is my honesty going to come back to haunt me? I didn't know about having to prove abstinence however I was was pregnant feb-nov last year and had to tell them about my conviction and past binging as part of antenatal checks questions. (My binging was due to past stillborn) so I had a close eye on me because of high risk pregnancy. Anyhow, what I'm asking is, if dvla decided to contact gp from the dvla medical, surely the pregnancy and monitoring would prove as abstinence? As lots of blood tests taken although unsure what for, no issues and no concerns raised?

Hi, did you declare in your medical drinking in past year?
My background is alcohol misuse but I've prepared myself for the worst being classed dependent reading some misjudgement here. It was only by chance I had decided to go abstinent as after seeking help a few years ago for binging, I managed my trigger and from there got over it but decided I was happier without anyway. Thank god because I'd have been shocked reading these. Anyhow, my last binge was 2+ years ago, then abstinent for about 8 months then controlled drinking for 2 months (wedding etc in summer) 1 year 8 months ago, just testing my limits but decided I felt better not drinking than controlled. So 20 months since last drink. I had my medical declaring this, non the wiser about these forums. Is my honesty going to come back to haunt me? I didn't know about having to prove abstinence however I was was pregnant feb-nov last year and had to tell them about my conviction and past binging as part of antenatal checks questions. (My binging was due to past stillborn) so I had a close eye on me because of high risk pregnancy. Anyhow, what I'm asking is, if dvla decided to contact gp from the dvla medical, surely the pregnancy and monitoring would prove as abstinence? As lots of blood tests taken although unsure what for, no issues and no concerns raised?
I don't know I've read a lot off people being refused for having dependent on alcohol on there GP results. I have nothing on GP for drinking and just answered the questions to basically how I drink

In a similar boat here. I resorted to writing to DVLA.. Letter was acknowledged but not replied to yet.

I am expecting ultimately a 10-month wait followed by another CDT test (apply 8 weeks before) but I will fight it all the way with the support I know I will get readily from my GP.

Absolute sham but I do believe with perseverance and relevant accurate information it is surely worth fighting it...

REF: M33149856/Dna Dated: February 2023

Dear Sir/Madame/DVLA Medical

I wanted to write you concerning a recent yearly driving medical/blood test result. Judging by social media sites and relevant forums I am sure you have received similar letters.

I would just like some clarity.

I received a letter yesterday ‘although’ sent over a week ago, I have been away.

The letter referred to my recent CDT test as showing 0.7% recorded. I was not surprised at this as I did answer the question truthfully where a small amount of alcohol was taken over Christmas with family. I was unaware that the new guidelines are for CDT test is now zero.

Since 2016 I have been working very closely with my GP with regular blood tests. I class myself as a non-drinker since then except in rare occasions of which if I had known of the new zero tolerance would simply have not consumed anything.

I don’t understand how the rules can change with no notification and more importantly back dating the ruling to affect everyone concerned before the new ruling date.

I Would like to know from yourselves if there is an ‘appeal’ option, I am happy to speak to my GP and ask for all evidence required from previous blood tests . LFT etc and ask for a current blood test and for his own opinion based on all my previous tests and discussions.

I gave up drinking completely in 2016 apart from rare occasions where I have consumed some Alcohol with Family. My GP is aware of this and has never been an issue. I have always answered previous DVLA medical test honestly when asked about any alcohol consumption and my licence was re-issued.

The effect of this decision will impact all the hard-work I have achieved since stopping drinking. I currently work with NHS volunteer trust at Stoke Mandeville hospital. I am a FIA F1 racing marshal at all circuits in the UK during racing season.

I just cannot understand how the government can make such impacting new rules without telling anybody affected. I have read so many comments online with people in similar position and loosing employment who no doubt have worked hard to adhere to the now out of date rules.

I will no doubt now lose all the above achievements without my licence which basically brings me back to where I was six years or so ago.

I have been working with ESA/DWP since 2019 participating in all recommended training and moving 100% forward. Losing my licence will have a detrimental effect on all I have achieved so far, and I seriously fear for my mental health as I will discuss with my GP.

Everything I have worked hard for with future plans now hangs in the balance because I admitted truthfully a small amount of alcohol taken last Christmas which has never been an issue in the past and had I known of the new rules would never have happened.

I am just asking again, are there any options for appeal and if so, please can you indicate any specific information you need to substantiate my issue.

I will also check with my GP why classed as alcohol dependant as this has never been the case. I appreciate a HRO following a ban in 2008 for more than two years.

I have also sent a copy of this letter to local MP for Aylesbury ‘Rob Butler’ just to simply ask the question. Why wasn’t there any notification of this new ruling given to individuals who it will directly affect, and certainly had I known would not be in the situation I am now I consider unfairly in.?

I have always been granted an annual license, renewed for the last 6 years up until arbitrarily revoking it due to a policy change in the qualifying criteria in 2021 which has never been communicated with myself or the public as far as I am aware.

I would really appreciate any guidance you have on this issue.

Kind regards

Mark Burslem
Hi Mark,

I’ll be really interested to know if, and how, they respond to your letter.

How can we comply if we aren’t aware of the ‘rules’?!

It’s totally unfair and this total lack of transparency and information is ruining lives.

I do hope they come back to you and try to justify their position 😡

More and more we are seeing people losing their licence after their ban due to alcohol misuse or dependence which is putting an extra unlimited time scale on getting their licence back, on the letter they send the only information they include is "when you can provide medical evidence 6/12 months and when your bloods have returned to normal " and then folk are understandably becoming ever more confused as what to do, or who to turn to, through whatever means they are led to this forum which can give out expert advice as to try and make the situation clearer as it can be so confusing, passing the CDT and then being refused with not much of an explanation. For those of you who do/are reading this and are about to reapply for your licence or for those of you who are about to lose your licence do go and see your GP if you have any alcohol issues get your liver function test done and keep having them if needs be so when your licence is due to be reinstated you will have done your homework satisfied the DVLA and you won't be expected to do another ban so to speak, I know it's all about keeping britains roads safe and I agree fully, but people are losing their jobs and suffering uneccasserily AFTER THEIR BAN OR PUNISHMENT and having to serve more unfair time off the road. Please please please prepare well for the DVLA keep up a good rapport with your GP and you will not have to spend that extra time off the road while medical investigations are taking place...abnormal blood markers =liver function test,CDT = abstain from the booze for the lowest possible reading, drinking = 14 UNITS a week spread over 7 days, DD2 = doctors report that is satisfactory, this information will be all your medical evidence prepared for the DVLA and lets all get back on the road a little
Hi diesel2

I have attached the two parts of the letter stating I have to provide evidence. I will be ringing DVLA this morning and ask to speak to a medical doctor to ask what they want. I’ve got a feeling I’m going to have to pay for these evidence tests throughout the year if my GP is reluctant to carry them out due to them being a private matter and not NHS work .... more expense!!! View attachment 3View attachment 4
Hi pink elephant
I wander if you can help? If you read the letter Iv attached it says the Dvla will only consider an application from me when I have been abstinent for a year, it’s documented with my doctor my last drink was at George’s day 2022 and Iv reapplied now and have my Dvla medical on the 15th June 2023, you will see on the letter Iv attached that my CDT reading was 1.0 back in November last year, will they accept what my doctor says that Iv now been abstinent for over 12 months? Or do you think I will get a letter after this next medical saying I need to prove abstinence? My ban ended June 2022 and this is my 3rd time of applying since then as iv beeen turned down twice due to the fact I was honest and said I’d drank on at George’s day 2022 however I wasn’t aware at the time I was expected to remain abstinent for life! Iv now been 14 months without a drink but just really wanted to know if I pass the next medical in a a few weeks whether I will then be told I need to prove it? Or will the fact iv had 2 other medicals which have been good be enough? I was told I was refused twice because I hadn’t been 12 months abstinent and that was the only reason but I’m now worried that even if my medical is good that they will then say they need more proof? This situation is driving me mad as my ban has been up almost a year! I’d welcome any advice or assistance of anyone please?
Regards

Hi pink elephant
I wander if you can help? If you read the letter Iv attached it says the Dvla will only consider an application from me when I have been abstinent for a year, it’s documented with my doctor my last drink was at George’s day 2022 and Iv reapplied now and have my Dvla medical on the 15th June 2023, you will see on the letter Iv attached that my CDT reading was 1.0 back in November last year, will they accept what my doctor says that Iv now been abstinent for over 12 months? Or do you think I will get a letter after this next medical saying I need to prove abstinence? My ban ended June 2022 and this is my 3rd time of applying since then as iv beeen turned down twice due to the fact I was honest and said I’d drank on at George’s day 2022 however I wasn’t aware at the time I was expected to remain abstinent for life! Iv now been 14 months without a drink but just really wanted to know if I pass the next medical in a a few weeks whether I will then be told I need to prove it? Or will the fact iv had 2 other medicals which have been good be enough? I was told I was refused twice because I hadn’t been 12 months abstinent and that was the only reason but I’m now worried that even if my medical is good that they will then say they need more proof? This situation is driving me mad as my ban has been up almost a year! I’d welcome any advice or assistance of anyone please?
Regards
Hi pinkelephant

I’ve just read your post. I also have a ban, just out curiosity, why are they asking for abstinence? Has there been a record of alcohol dependency on your go medical notes?

Wowser I’ve just been reading the forums, how on earth have they changed that without everyone not knowing it’s a disgrace. I’ve just reapplied and was sent a D1 and a M1 due to mental health issues in 2018/2019 nothing major, I’ve also sent back a year’s lft’s , this will be my second time applying. I too was classed as a HRO in 2019 so just waiting now to get another knock back

Wowser I’ve just been reading the forums, how on earth have they changed that without everyone not knowing it’s a disgrace. I’ve just reapplied and was sent a D1 and a M1 due to mental health issues in 2018/2019 nothing major, I’ve also sent back a year’s lft’s , this will be my second time applying. I too was classed as a HRO in 2019 so just waiting now to get another knock back
Hi Dobby
It is a disgrace…. I’m far off applying for my license back. Thank heavens for this forum! I’m just wondering, how many lft’s did you have to do within the year? Is this something they ask for? Is there a record of alcohol misuse or dependence on your medical history?

In a similar boat here. I resorted to writing to DVLA.. Letter was acknowledged but not replied to yet.

I am expecting ultimately a 10-month wait followed by another CDT test (apply 8 weeks before) but I will fight it all the way with the support I know I will get readily from my GP.

Absolute sham but I do believe with perseverance and relevant accurate information it is surely worth fighting it...

REF: M33149856/Dna Dated: February 2023

Dear Sir/Madame/DVLA Medical

I wanted to write you concerning a recent yearly driving medical/blood test result. Judging by social media sites and relevant forums I am sure you have received similar letters.

I would just like some clarity.

I received a letter yesterday ‘although’ sent over a week ago, I have been away.

The letter referred to my recent CDT test as showing 0.7% recorded. I was not surprised at this as I did answer the question truthfully where a small amount of alcohol was taken over Christmas with family. I was unaware that the new guidelines are for CDT test is now zero.

Since 2016 I have been working very closely with my GP with regular blood tests. I class myself as a non-drinker since then except in rare occasions of which if I had known of the new zero tolerance would simply have not consumed anything.

I don’t understand how the rules can change with no notification and more importantly back dating the ruling to affect everyone concerned before the new ruling date.

I Would like to know from yourselves if there is an ‘appeal’ option, I am happy to speak to my GP and ask for all evidence required from previous blood tests . LFT etc and ask for a current blood test and for his own opinion based on all my previous tests and discussions.

I gave up drinking completely in 2016 apart from rare occasions where I have consumed some Alcohol with Family. My GP is aware of this and has never been an issue. I have always answered previous DVLA medical test honestly when asked about any alcohol consumption and my licence was re-issued.

The effect of this decision will impact all the hard-work I have achieved since stopping drinking. I currently work with NHS volunteer trust at Stoke Mandeville hospital. I am a FIA F1 racing marshal at all circuits in the UK during racing season.

I just cannot understand how the government can make such impacting new rules without telling anybody affected. I have read so many comments online with people in similar position and loosing employment who no doubt have worked hard to adhere to the now out of date rules.

I will no doubt now lose all the above achievements without my licence which basically brings me back to where I was six years or so ago.

I have been working with ESA/DWP since 2019 participating in all recommended training and moving 100% forward. Losing my licence will have a detrimental effect on all I have achieved so far, and I seriously fear for my mental health as I will discuss with my GP.

Everything I have worked hard for with future plans now hangs in the balance because I admitted truthfully a small amount of alcohol taken last Christmas which has never been an issue in the past and had I known of the new rules would never have happened.

I am just asking again, are there any options for appeal and if so, please can you indicate any specific information you need to substantiate my issue.

I will also check with my GP why classed as alcohol dependant as this has never been the case. I appreciate a HRO following a ban in 2008 for more than two years.

I have also sent a copy of this letter to local MP for Aylesbury ‘Rob Butler’ just to simply ask the question. Why wasn’t there any notification of this new ruling given to individuals who it will directly affect, and certainly had I known would not be in the situation I am now I consider unfairly in.?

I have always been granted an annual license, renewed for the last 6 years up until arbitrarily revoking it due to a policy change in the qualifying criteria in 2021 which has never been communicated with myself or the public as far as I am aware.

I would really appreciate any guidance you have on this issue.

Kind regards

Mark Burslem
Hi there! I’m curious too if there is any news on your case yet? I’ve got the same issue and I have been reapplied recently but I’m so interested in other people experiences too as I find it extremely frustrating and hard to except as literary we didn’t commit a crime or didn’t break the law but we are being punished again even though we paid for our mistakes?

Hi Dobby
It is a disgrace…. I’m far off applying for my license back. Thank heavens for this forum! I’m just wondering, how many lft’s did you have to do within the year? Is this something they ask for? Is there a record of alcohol misuse or dependence on your medical history?
I thought it was misuse however my g.p said dependance so that done me over good and proper infact she printed my whole medical file from 1974, so from the age of 6 and sent it to DVLA. As for my lft’s I sent back 5 for the whole year, I had 1 done every 3 months or so by my gp, and no they didn’t ask me for them, however I read on this forum some weeks ago that another person had sent theirs as well and got a full 10 year licence back so I’m hoping that it shows some level of abstinence

I thought it was misuse however my g.p said dependance so that done me over good and proper infact she printed my whole medical file from 1974, so from the age of 6 and sent it to DVLA. As for my lft’s I sent back 5 for the whole year, I had 1 done every 3 months or so by my gp, and no they didn’t ask me for them, however I read on this forum some weeks ago that another person had sent theirs as well and got a full 10 year licence back so I’m hoping that it shows some level of abstinence

Did your gp state to you why she went back and said dependence? Have your lft’s stayed the same throughout the year? I quit drinking for 6 months not because I had an d.problem but because I wanted a break, and one of my lft had raised however I was put on more medication. After doing some research medication can raise lft’s too. Just feel like there’s no hope.

Did your gp state to you why she went back and said dependence? Have your lft’s stayed the same throughout the year? I quit drinking for 6 months not because I had an d.problem but because I wanted a break, and one of my lft had raised however I was put on more medication. After doing some research medication can raise lft’s too. Just feel like there’s no hope.
Don’t lose hope, my gp just couldn’t be bothered to complete the form. And I did misuse but someone had put on dependent around 2018 and as she sent my whole file it was on it so I was doomed, my lft’s started at 36 and my last one was 28 the range is 0 to 37 for a woman

Are lfts mandatory? I have my 3rd medical coming up after being knocked back twice even though my CDT was 1.0 and lower the time before slightly, I admitted I had a drink on at George’s day 2022 so up until now I hadn’t been 12 months completely abstinent until now as like many I didn’t realise I had to be, I haven’t had liver function tests mentioned at all or in previous correspondence from DVLA medical people so I’m hoping another good CDT test should do it now it’s been 15 months since last alcoholic drink. I’d welcome any advice of comments please, my GP also fully supports me getting my licence back

Are lfts mandatory? I have my 3rd medical coming up after being knocked back twice even though my CDT was 1.0 and lower the time before slightly, I admitted I had a drink on at George’s day 2022 so up until now I hadn’t been 12 months completely abstinent until now as like many I didn’t realise I had to be, I haven’t had liver function tests mentioned at all or in previous correspondence from DVLA medical people so I’m hoping another good CDT test should do it now it’s been 15 months since last alcoholic drink. I’d welcome any advice of comments please, my GP also fully supports me getting my licence back
It’s not mandatory but it’s safest to have them done, I know it does ask on the form they send to your GP about lft’s and when the last one was recorded and the level of it, hope that helps

Ruining lives is a great way of putting it. It is almost as if they afford no credence at all to the ban we’ve already served just to get to that point.

Sadly, we are all subject to this process thanks to drink drivers in the past who have repeatedly committed the same offence and cost some one their life because they maybe shouldn't have been allowed back on the road in the first place!

CJ

Hi Mark,

I’ll be really interested to know if, and how, they respond to your letter.

How can we comply if we aren’t aware of the ‘rules’?!

It’s totally unfair and this total lack of transparency and information is ruining lives.

I do hope they come back to you and try to justify their position 😡
Hey Hi. Well I will try and keep this brief because it's a lengthy storey but the outcome was all good and I received new licence 4 weeks ago.

I think the best move I made was finding out who my local MP was on google and pretty easily found the direct email address for him.

I then sent a copy of the letter you have seen and a brief note explaining my issues with such a low CDT reading and then a completely new law that appeared for the first time suggesting that a 0% CDT was now required.

I also had by now contacted my GP and explained the issue, I asked for a new LFT FBC blood test and when they came back clear I asked if he would write a letter confirming the clear results. It will cost £45 for the GP letter - It's because you are commissioning the request. Standard NHS fee.

I then received an email from local MP's assistant asking if I had received a reply from the DVLA. I said no, she then asked if I would like them to send an email to the DVLA on my behalf reminding the DVLA that they have 20 days to reply to my letter which by now had been about 3 weeks. I said brilliant, send that email off. Another new law I knew nothing about. No change there then, must be a secret to avoid correspondence lol :)

I then sent one final letter to the DVLA enclosing my GP's letter and a reminder that I was still waiting for a reply to my original letter and issued them with a 'freedom of information request' explaining that I was concerned they still had me down as alcohol dependant, something that my GP has always confirmed not since 2016 with yearly blood test to prove it.

AND then on the 19th April received the following email from my local MP...

.................................................................................

Dear Mr Burslem,

I am pleased to inform you that I have received a response to your enquiry from the DVLA.

Please find the response below this email.

Kind regards,

Rob Butler
Member of Parliament for Aylesbury

Thank you for your email of 31 March 2023. Your case reference number is CAS-0326613-S8V9G.
I am pleased to advise that Mr Burslem's driving licence has been issued to him today. It will be printed overnight and posted to him tomorrow morning. Mr Burslem should allow 3-5 working days to receive his new licence.

Please extend my sincere apologies to Mr Burslem for the concern this matter has caused him.

-------------------------------------------------

And that was it. Sure enough my licence arrived. It really is a rare thing for the DVLA to apologise - I was still not happy that I had not received a reply to my first and second letter. One did finally arrive - two-page letter explaining the new system. On and on and on. Then a brief bit about in certain circumstances they are allowed an element of discretion when issuing a licence and in my case, they decided to apply this and a disclosure of what data they hold on file. No apology to me, only an indirect one from my MP I will take..

I did actually write in once more thanking for finally getting a reply and inquired what is required to get a 10-year licence back if indeed it is even possible. I don't expect a reply. :)

Hope it helps. :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off