Licence refused, how to prove no alcohol for a year?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi everyone hope you all had a great Christmas, my license was due back in march 2021 DVLA said I have to prove 1 years alcohol free which is fine but I’m not sure do I have to have a new medical? Secondly what is the level of left’s mine are 36? I’ve logged with g.p done everything I need to, how many left’s do you need? I’ve not had one done since September 22
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sorry lft’s predicted spelling lol

Hi everyone hope you all had a great Christmas, my license was due back in march 2021 DVLA said I have to prove 1 years alcohol free which is fine but I’m not sure do I have to have a new medical? Secondly what is the level of left’s mine are 36? I’ve logged with g.p done everything I need to, how many left’s do you need? I’ve not had one done since September 22
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
From what I've read on here I think you need an lft every 3 months?
You will have to do another medical too.

I think this is a new strategy the DVLA are playing, but when your high risk the onus is on you to prove your worthy of a licence there is no right to hold a licence , this is why I stated to keep in touch with Doctor throughout,
I was fortunate enough to have foresight and kept contact with Doc and he gave me at least 6 blood checks no hassles
Can I ask what blood tests you had done? Was it for lft? Liver function test?

Yes, I do feel I am being penalised for being honest. That is unfair. I assume I will receive the documentation several weeks before the 9th October. In the meantime I will just keep having blood tests done and sending the results to them - all I can do. It seems that 'saving up' these results and sending at the last minute is not a good idea. However - there has to be a legal challenge to this 'Law'. In fact is there a 'Law' preventing people who are HRO ever drinking again? Think that is what I will challenge whilst accepting that I have no alternative other than to wait it out for almost another 9 months. Shocking.
Is this a lft blood test?

I called the DVLA. (Regarding proof of abstenence) They said (and I made sure they repeated it) That I do not need to do anything but attend their dessignated blood test appointment with their designated doctor when i apply for the licence back after a year, or 8 weeks off a year (their designated doctor btw was an absolute tool of a human that failed me for no reason other than me admitting I smoked 1 joint 2 years ago during lockdown by the way, last time im honest to these nazis)
No personal test will be accepted, no letters read to explain anything. They dont care about your story. They dont care if you never drive again.
Lie to them if you have to. Stay sober, problem or no problem. They will ban you for the slightest thing. All yes men ticking boxes.

I am on 4 years now for backing my car out the drive at a wake to allow someone to get out of ny drive. My life was left in tatters. My mental health destroyed for a short while. I was classed as HRO for just being too over, then (after a hellhole of a time in lockdown ignored calles and letters) was tested for drug dependancy and even though was sober for a year. Was told i had a coke dependancy due to positive test when they knew i was going to have a test, (no way it could have been positive for coke) too mentally destroyed to fight a losing battle in court, I surrendered to them. But they wont get me this time. Sober for 2 years now. Not a drop of anything. Im going to beg my doctor to test me regardless of them saying i dont need to. And ill fight this to the death if they ban me for a 5th year. And belive me. There will be hell to pay if that test comes back positive again. I'll be going old testament on the dvla offices.

Bunch of nazis, I work with alcoholics and drug addicts that drive and get away with it. World has a way of punishing those who dont deserve it.I tell you what though, ill keep my head high. And if you are in my position you should too. Give the man the middle finger, pull up your socks and get back your freedom to drive, no matter how much sobriety it takes, dont let them win. ( But dont let them see you give them the finger though or they will have you :] )

I called the DVLA. (Regarding proof of abstenence) They said (and I made sure they repeated it) That I do not need to do anything but attend their dessignated blood test appointment with their designated doctor when i apply for the licence back after a year, or 8 weeks off a year (their designated doctor btw was an absolute tool of a human that failed me for no reason other than me admitting I smoked 1 joint 2 years ago during lockdown by the way, last time im honest to these nazis)
No personal test will be accepted, no letters read to explain anything. They dont care about your story. They dont care if you never drive again.
Lie to them if you have to. Stay sober, problem or no problem. They will ban you for the slightest thing. All yes men ticking boxes.

I am on 4 years now for backing my car out the drive at a wake to allow someone to get out of ny drive. My life was left in tatters. My mental health destroyed for a short while. I was classed as HRO for just being too over, then (after a hellhole of a time in lockdown ignored calles and letters) was tested for drug dependancy and even though was sober for a year. Was told i had a coke dependancy due to positive test when they knew i was going to have a test, (no way it could have been positive for coke) too mentally destroyed to fight a losing battle in court, I surrendered to them. But they wont get me this time. Sober for 2 years now. Not a drop of anything. Im going to beg my doctor to test me regardless of them saying i dont need to. And ill fight this to the death if they ban me for a 5th year. And belive me. There will be hell to pay if that test comes back positive again. I'll be going old testament on the dvla offices.

Bunch of nazis, I work with alcoholics and drug addicts that drive and get away with it. World has a way of punishing those who dont deserve it.I tell you what though, I’ll keep my head high. And if you are in my position you should too. Give the man the middle finger, pull up your socks and get back your freedom to drive, no matter how much sobriety it takes, dont let them win. ( e But dont let them see you give them the finger though or they will have you :] )
Nice rant that, good luck buddy 👍👍

Bunch of nazis, I work with alcoholics and drug addicts that drive and get away with it. World has a way of punishing those who dont deserve it.I tell you what though, ill keep my head high. And if you are in my position you should too. Give the man the middle finger, pull up your socks and get back your freedom to drive, no matter how much sobriety it takes, dont let them win. ( But dont let them see you give them the finger though or they will have you :] )
If you work with drug addicts be careful about cross contamination. Perhaps that is what is being picked up in the tests?

Thank you for your support. You’re absolutely right I have to challenge my case. If I sit back and do nothing then I’m accepting what they’re saying and labelling me as. What happened 2 and a half years ago is no reflection on where I am now, I’m a completely different person and drink responsibly!! I will phone my GP first thing Monday morning and book an appointment. I need to fight this, I can not accept it and sit back and do nothing!!!
I had my licence revoked because they gave it back before getting information from my GP, so I was back driving for two month's and then taken away again! The GP had it on file where I'd seen another doctor for alcohol misuse year's ago but had put that I was dependant, I had to fight with my GP to go back to the DVLA and explain that it was misuse and not dependant, I was then given a 1 year licence and to show controlled drinking. I had my last medical the end of January and still waiting on results now to see if it's another 1 year licence, 10 year or no licence

I had my licence revoked because they gave it back before getting information from my GP, so I was back driving for two month's and then taken away again! The GP had it on file where I'd seen another doctor for alcohol misuse year's ago but had put that I was dependant, I had to fight with my GP to go back to the DVLA and explain that it was misuse and not dependant, I was then given a 1 year licence and to show controlled drinking. I had my last medical the end of January and still waiting on results now to see if it's another 1 year licence, 10 year or no licence
Wow they really are ridiculous with this, I hate that they can determine someone dependant themselves.
Please keep us posted. I can never get an answer as to if I'm applying for a 1 year or full licence. They just wont say until I apply. They couldnt even say that if it was a 1 year licence how many years id have to keep testing form.

I was classed as either dependant or persistant misuse because I tested positive for a substance I've never taken before. I asked how they came to the persistant misuse or dependance verdict and they said it was from the GP. Their GP. That I admitted a previous single occasion in my past to that I smoked a joint at a party thinking I was being honest. Never again.

In a similar boat here. I resorted to writing to DVLA.. Letter was acknowledged but not replied to yet.

I am expecting ultimately a 10-month wait followed by another CDT test (apply 8 weeks before) but I will fight it all the way with the support I know I will get readily from my GP.

Absolute sham but I do believe with perseverance and relevant accurate information it is surely worth fighting it...

REF: M33149856/Dna Dated: February 2023

Dear Sir/Madame/DVLA Medical

I wanted to write you concerning a recent yearly driving medical/blood test result. Judging by social media sites and relevant forums I am sure you have received similar letters.

I would just like some clarity.

I received a letter yesterday ‘although’ sent over a week ago, I have been away.

The letter referred to my recent CDT test as showing 0.7% recorded. I was not surprised at this as I did answer the question truthfully where a small amount of alcohol was taken over Christmas with family. I was unaware that the new guidelines are for CDT test is now zero.

Since 2016 I have been working very closely with my GP with regular blood tests. I class myself as a non-drinker since then except in rare occasions of which if I had known of the new zero tolerance would simply have not consumed anything.

I don’t understand how the rules can change with no notification and more importantly back dating the ruling to affect everyone concerned before the new ruling date.

I Would like to know from yourselves if there is an ‘appeal’ option, I am happy to speak to my GP and ask for all evidence required from previous blood tests . LFT etc and ask for a current blood test and for his own opinion based on all my previous tests and discussions.

I gave up drinking completely in 2016 apart from rare occasions where I have consumed some Alcohol with Family. My GP is aware of this and has never been an issue. I have always answered previous DVLA medical test honestly when asked about any alcohol consumption and my licence was re-issued.

The effect of this decision will impact all the hard-work I have achieved since stopping drinking. I currently work with NHS volunteer trust at Stoke Mandeville hospital. I am a FIA F1 racing marshal at all circuits in the UK during racing season.

I just cannot understand how the government can make such impacting new rules without telling anybody affected. I have read so many comments online with people in similar position and loosing employment who no doubt have worked hard to adhere to the now out of date rules.

I will no doubt now lose all the above achievements without my licence which basically brings me back to where I was six years or so ago.

I have been working with ESA/DWP since 2019 participating in all recommended training and moving 100% forward. Losing my licence will have a detrimental effect on all I have achieved so far, and I seriously fear for my mental health as I will discuss with my GP.

Everything I have worked hard for with future plans now hangs in the balance because I admitted truthfully a small amount of alcohol taken last Christmas which has never been an issue in the past and had I known of the new rules would never have happened.

I am just asking again, are there any options for appeal and if so, please can you indicate any specific information you need to substantiate my issue.

I will also check with my GP why classed as alcohol dependant as this has never been the case. I appreciate a HRO following a ban in 2008 for more than two years.

I have also sent a copy of this letter to local MP for Aylesbury ‘Rob Butler’ just to simply ask the question. Why wasn’t there any notification of this new ruling given to individuals who it will directly affect, and certainly had I known would not be in the situation I am now I consider unfairly in.?

I have always been granted an annual license, renewed for the last 6 years up until arbitrarily revoking it due to a policy change in the qualifying criteria in 2021 which has never been communicated with myself or the public as far as I am aware.

I would really appreciate any guidance you have on this issue.

Kind regards

Mark Burslem

In a similar boat here. I resorted to writing to DVLA.. Letter was acknowledged but not replied to yet.

I am expecting ultimately a 10-month wait followed by another CDT test (apply 8 weeks before) but I will fight it all the way with the support I know I will get readily from my GP.

Absolute sham but I do believe with perseverance and relevant accurate information it is surely worth fighting it...

REF: M33149856/Dna Dated: February 2023

Dear Sir/Madame/DVLA Medical

I wanted to write you concerning a recent yearly driving medical/blood test result. Judging by social media sites and relevant forums I am sure you have received similar letters.

I would just like some clarity.

I received a letter yesterday ‘although’ sent over a week ago, I have been away.

The letter referred to my recent CDT test as showing 0.7% recorded. I was not surprised at this as I did answer the question truthfully where a small amount of alcohol was taken over Christmas with family. I was unaware that the new guidelines are for CDT test is now zero.

Since 2016 I have been working very closely with my GP with regular blood tests. I class myself as a non-drinker since then except in rare occasions of which if I had known of the new zero tolerance would simply have not consumed anything.

I don’t understand how the rules can change with no notification and more importantly back dating the ruling to affect everyone concerned before the new ruling date.

I Would like to know from yourselves if there is an ‘appeal’ option, I am happy to speak to my GP and ask for all evidence required from previous blood tests . LFT etc and ask for a current blood test and for his own opinion based on all my previous tests and discussions.

I gave up drinking completely in 2016 apart from rare occasions where I have consumed some Alcohol with Family. My GP is aware of this and has never been an issue. I have always answered previous DVLA medical test honestly when asked about any alcohol consumption and my licence was re-issued.

The effect of this decision will impact all the hard-work I have achieved since stopping drinking. I currently work with NHS volunteer trust at Stoke Mandeville hospital. I am a FIA F1 racing marshal at all circuits in the UK during racing season.

I just cannot understand how the government can make such impacting new rules without telling anybody affected. I have read so many comments online with people in similar position and loosing employment who no doubt have worked hard to adhere to the now out of date rules.

I will no doubt now lose all the above achievements without my licence which basically brings me back to where I was six years or so ago.

I have been working with ESA/DWP since 2019 participating in all recommended training and moving 100% forward. Losing my licence will have a detrimental effect on all I have achieved so far, and I seriously fear for my mental health as I will discuss with my GP.

Everything I have worked hard for with future plans now hangs in the balance because I admitted truthfully a small amount of alcohol taken last Christmas which has never been an issue in the past and had I known of the new rules would never have happened.

I am just asking again, are there any options for appeal and if so, please can you indicate any specific information you need to substantiate my issue.

I will also check with my GP why classed as alcohol dependant as this has never been the case. I appreciate a HRO following a ban in 2008 for more than two years.

I have also sent a copy of this letter to local MP for Aylesbury ‘Rob Butler’ just to simply ask the question. Why wasn’t there any notification of this new ruling given to individuals who it will directly affect, and certainly had I known would not be in the situation I am now I consider unfairly in.?

I have always been granted an annual license, renewed for the last 6 years up until arbitrarily revoking it due to a policy change in the qualifying criteria in 2021 which has never been communicated with myself or the public as far as I am aware.

I would really appreciate any guidance you have on this issue.

Kind regards

Mark Burslem
I wish you luck. Every letter I sent was ignored. They do not care about individual situations. I have resigned to that fact now.

I dont think its a governemt decision the dvla are basically nazis and do as they please. Vaguely wording letters and then punushing you for admitting 1 family event drink with a ban, just because they deem an alcohol issue to be for life. It is a joke.
Only way through this is absolute sobriety. Or their perceived view of it. Lie if you have to, even if it looks odd to say uou never toasted at new years etc. Dont let them get to you, they got to me and it almost drove me insane with all the injustice. You also dont get ourside help from mps etc as you mention DUI and nobody wants to help.
You will get there in the end. Good luck friend.

Moral of the story is say zero and prove zero, I guess.

Whether or not they are overly-strict, uncompromising, Nazi, harsh, unfair, unrelenting or a million and one other synonyms, they are hardly going to allow much compromise where road safety is concerned (they don’t want the bad press).

It could be argued that they are encouraging people to lie, given how uncompromising they are. But no matter how personal it is to us all, it simply isn’t to them; and how do they know we aren’t all liars anyway. They simply don’t.

And it’s their rules we broke. As much as it sucks, they can do what they like. We transgressed, so it’s up to us to convince them. It’s easy to forget sometimes that when someone offends you, it takes a while (if ever) for you trust them again. We are all asking for an opportunity to be trusted again.

There is, apparently, what’s known as the ‘rule of two’ in the mental health profession, in that what a lot of patients declare to their shrink they often assume is half of the truth. It’s probably the same or worse around that little table in Swansea that determines so many short and longer-term futures.

Zero can’t be multiplied by two. Good luck everyone.

Moral of the story is say zero and prove zero, I guess.

Whether or not they are overly-strict, uncompromising, Nazi, harsh, unfair, unrelenting or a million and one other synonyms, they are hardly going to allow much compromise where road safety is concerned (they don’t want the bad press).

It could be argued that they are encouraging people to lie, given how uncompromising they are. But no matter how personal it is to us all, it simply isn’t to them; and how do they know we aren’t all liars anyway. They simply don’t.

And it’s their rules we broke. As much as it sucks, they can do what they like. We transgressed, so it’s up to us to convince them. It’s easy to forget sometimes that when someone offends you, it takes a while (if ever) for you trust them again. We are all asking for an opportunity to be trusted again.

There is, apparently, what’s known as the ‘rule of two’ in the mental health profession, in that what a lot of patients declare to their shrink they often assume is half of the truth. It’s probably the same or worse around that little table in Swansea that determines so many short and longer-term futures.

Zero can’t be multiplied by two. Good luck everyone.
Exactly. I have to remind myself that this is all my own doing. My choices led to this dilemma. Reglardless of how I fee.
For anyone struggling with this and still feeling hard done by.
Look at the book The Gulag Archipelago. Written in the gulag secretly by a guy who shoold have blamed hitler and stalin for his sorry life. But decided to look at the decisions that led him to being captured on the western front to begin with. Very deep theory that when looked at can change your outlook on life and change your future by being more accountable for your own actions.

Exactly. I have to remind myself that this is all my own doing. My choices led to this dilemma. Reglardless of how I fee.
For anyone struggling with this and still feeling hard done by.
Look at the book The Gulag Archipelago. Written in the gulag secretly by a guy who shoold have blamed hitler and stalin for his sorry life. But decided to look at the decisions that led him to being captured on the western front to begin with. Very deep theory that when looked at can change your outlook on life and change your future by being more accountable for your own actions.
That's correct. You did the crime but more importantly you did the time. There was nothing mentioned in court that at the end of your sentence you had to also stop drinking alcohol forever.

If you need to abide by the rules, then you need to know the rules to begin with.

The reason (I think,) that the DVLA don't publicise their abstinence policy for dependent drinkers, is that they want to catch people like that out who are not lucky enough to have discovered this forum.

That's correct. You did the crime but more importantly you did the time. There was nothing mentioned in court that at the end of your sentence you had to also stop drinking alcohol forever.

If you need to abide by the rules, then you need to know the rules to begin with.

The reason (I think,) that the DVLA don't publicise their abstinence policy for dependent drinkers, is that they want to catch people like that out who are not lucky enough to have discovered this forum.

Yeah, the receptionists at the doctors seem to know about it too.
I was in for a urine test that I wasnt aware of one day, thought it was another blood test. When questioning why she said to me that I probably verbally stated to a doctor I'd smoked weed in my past and it made my case look a lot worse. She said you shouldnt say that, keep your past quiet.

My issues now is that because its on record I admitted to a smoke once 2 years ago at a party (thinking honesty was the way forward) if they ask me again abaout my past as its part of the gp visit questionnaire, will I be penalised for leaving that info out. Or punished for repeating it.
Same goes for those people that drank once 2 years ago. Admit it and be punished, or be punished for hiding it when its still on record.
Its so frustrating. And all the dvla tell you is they go off the doctors verdicts.
The doctor I met hated gave me the impression he didnt take too kindly to drunk drivers. Had a stinking attitude. He looked at me with discust and disbelief when i said the reason i rocked up at 9am fully dressed in yesterdays work clothes and unshowered was because id driven from my grandfathers deathbed.
But what can we do. Life goes on. Im going with the 5th keep my mouth shut let the tests do the talking.

I was in with my Gp on friday for nearly an hour chatting about my situation she had no idea the dvla has moved the goalposts and she deals with most of the cases relating to driving in my practice.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off