DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
DVLA wrote to me in June, They mentioned they will just write to my doctor, a seperate page was enclosed stating about drinking under government guidlines, thats the first I have seen! (I get a yearly license, so this will be my third one, but I hope it will be longer). My Doctor called me last week and said he will just fill the form that I am abstinence. I checked DVLA and I can still drive under section 88. So no medical.

snk7

Am I right in thinking you are presently back on the road with a temporary licence that is coming to an end?

The government guidance on alcohol units is 14 per week. It isn't a great deal - five pints at 5% is more than 14 units! It used to be 20 units until the Chief Medical Officer reduced it to 14.

However, when commiting anything on paper for the DVLA, if you disclose consuming more than 14 units a week, they are likely to refuse/revoke your licence. It is all very black & white I'm afraid.

CJ

snk7

Am I right in thinking you are presently back on the road with a temporary licence that is coming to an end?

The government guidance on alcohol units is 14 per week. It isn't a great deal - five pints at 5% is more than 14 units! It used to be 20 units until the Chief Medical Officer reduced it to 14.

However, when commiting anything on paper for the DVLA, if you disclose consuming more than 14 units a week, they are likely to refuse/revoke your licence. It is all very black & white I'm afraid.

CJ
My temporary licence has not expired yet! I did not get a questionaire, just a letter from DVLA indicating they will write to my doctor and the Gov guidline info. My Doctor got the form(s), he has contacted me already and I just a quick chat with him. He has already sent them off to them.

My temporary licence has not expired yet! I did not get a questionaire, just a letter from DVLA indicating they will write to my doctor and the Gov guidline info. My Doctor got the form(s), he has contacted me already and I just a quick chat with him. He has already sent them off to them.

snk7

That sounds good. Just a bit about myself - I served a 22 month drink driving ban, before being reinstated with a 12 month temporary licence in January this year. I had to go through the HRO medical procedure at the end of 2020, and because of the delays, I served an extra five weeks off the road when my ban expired.

I am anticipating I'll do a second HRO medical towards the end of this year, then possibly get a three year licence next time (fingers crossed!). Due to the DVLA delays, I'm anticipating I'll have to use Section 88 if my new licence isn't activated by the time the current one expires.

Am I in order to ask, did you get a 12 month licence to begin with, then a longer one in your second year?

CJ

snk7

That sounds good. Just a bit about myself - I served a 22 month drink driving ban, before being reinstated with a 12 month temporary licence in January this year. I had to go through the HRO medical procedure at the end of 2020, and because of the delays, I served an extra five weeks off the road when my ban expired.

I am anticipating I'll do a second HRO medical towards the end of this year, then possibly get a three year licence next time (fingers crossed!). Due to the DVLA delays, I'm anticipating I'll have to use Section 88 if my new licence isn't activated by the time the current one expires.

Am I in order to ask, did you get a 12 month licence to begin with, then a longer one in your second year?

CJ
both of them were 1yr, if I get my 3rd one, I hope the duration of the licence is longer.

both of them were 1yr, if I get my 3rd one, I hope the duration of the licence is longer.

Another forum member did sound encouraging in saying I could get a 3 year licence after my second HRO medical. Who's to know what the DVLA have up their sleeve?

It does of course depend on our respective circumstances (everyone of us has an individual history) and the decision making of different members of the DVLA medical team.

The HRO process goes on for up to six years, but you would be very unlucky to get 6 x 12 month licences. Hopefully, you do get a longer licence this time round. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

CJ

How long does is roughly take to hear fron the dvla once i have sent off my d1 application?
How long is a piece of string?
It will be at least 5 weeks and quite possibly longer, but then you will have to book a medical which may take several more weeks (but some people have reported getting a medical in 2 weeks)
THEN
The long wait for the medical results to be checked, and if a decision is made to consult your GP. That alone can add several weeks to the process.
All I would say is don’t make any plans to drive this side of Halloween…….. and quite possibly Christmas!

How long is a piece of string?
It will be at least 5 weeks and quite possibly longer, but then you will have to book a medical which may take several more weeks (but some people have reported getting a medical in 2 weeks)
THEN
The long wait for the medical results to be checked, and if a decision is made to consult your GP. That alone can add several weeks to the process.
All I would say is don’t make any plans to drive this side of Halloween…….. and quite possibly Christmas!
Its been 2 weeks since i have sent it off already. Why would booking a medical take long? Are the doctors back logged or is it because of corona?

Its been 2 weeks since i have sent it off already. Why would booking a medical take long? Are the doctors back logged or is it because of corona?
DVLA used to allow 6 weeks from the date on the letter they send with details of the Doctor you have to visit, but because of Covid delays, they have increased the ‘window’ to book a test to 12 weeks. That indicates the pressure that the DVLA doctors are under. Having said that, if the Doctor they nominate for you has a long waiting time, you can try another DVLA approved doctor in your area to see if they have a quicker appointment, but you then have to badger DVLA to agree to the swap.

I sent mine on the 15th July 2021.

I called after 5 weeks and the lady I spoke to confirmed that it had been logged onto the system and was with the medical team to allocate a Doctor(s.)

She could give me no idea when that would be, so believe me, 2 weeks even under normal circumstances is nothing.

Press reports on the DVLA, (and they have even featured on the BBC Watchdog programme ,) indicate that a mix of Covid restrictions and Covid related Industrial Action is delaying paper based applications by anything from 10-12 weeks.

I too am desperate to get my licence back, especially as a private CDT test showed a reading of 0.2%, but getting angry and frustrated is not going to solve anything.

Just keep looking for that brown envelope to pop through the door.

I sent mine on the 15th July 2021.

I called after 5 weeks and the lady I spoke to confirmed that it had been logged onto the system and was with the medical team to allocate a Doctor(s.)

She could give me no idea when that would be, so believe me, 2 weeks even under normal circumstances is nothing.

Press reports on the DVLA, (and they have even featured on the BBC Watchdog programme ,) indicate that a mix of Covid restrictions and Covid related Industrial Action is delaying paper based applications by anything from 10-12 weeks.

I too am desperate to get my licence back, especially as a private CDT test showed a reading of 0.2%, but getting angry and frustrated is not going to solve anything.

Just keep looking for that brown envelope to pop through the door.
I agree that our frustrations solve nothing but it’s difficult isn’t it . I would advocate “ controlled monitoring “. I certainly wouldn’t just wait for the envelope for it is important to know that the DVLA are moving you through the process and are in receipt of the information they require. I say this because bits get lost in their system snd they seem not to progress chase . Good luck everyone .

For anybody interested: I was banned in Dec 19, classed as HRO as just over the threshold. got 2 years but 6 months off for the completed dd awareness course. Applied for licence 90 days before the end of ban, got a form for the medical, sent off a cheque and they got in touch end of May. Medical booked in for a week after my ban ended on the 22nd June which I did on the 29th July. Doctor told me that up 4-6 weeks wait but everything seemed fine and nothng on my form would be a problem he thought (Healthy, never touch drugs apart from the odd paracetemol, I drink once a week but left it for 3 or 4 weeks prior to my medical so doubtful the CDT test would be poor, indeed, paid for a medichecks one a while back after abstaining for just 2 weeks and it was 0.9% so...). Anyway, called DVLA 2 weeks back and got through within half hour and then put me through to the medical side of things. Told them I have a driving job lined up with a pal for mid August, any news? Told was 'in the system and shouldn't be long.'. 6 weeks up two days back and been trying the phone galore but no joy getting through. Total pain and doubt my pal will hold on much longer from mid Aug to give me some much needed work so 7 weeks after my licence due back I won't have it at a guess and I'll be up poo creek without a paddle. Still, my fault I'm in this mess anyway so whatever will be will be I suppose but just wish the DVLA would bloody hurry up!!
I was banned Oct 19 and applied paper/new photo March 21. Didn’t have medical until 12 July and now the wait so somehow you are weeks ahead of me !! 🤷‍♀️

I was banned Oct 19 and applied paper/new photo March 21. Didn’t have medical until 12 July and now the wait so somehow you are weeks ahead of me !
Well, not to rub it in and hope you get some good news soon but was on the phone from 8am until 9am constantly redialling, no joy in getting through so I gave up. Was about to go out lunchtime so thought I'd have my nigh on daily look at the DVLA gov site and wow, I have a full licence as from today! Great timing as my pal was about to give a job he has been holding on for me to somebody else so I'm lucky chap. So, HRO ban was the end of Dec '19, ban ended June 21st this year, medical was June 29th, licence (though not in hand yet) back today, 23rd August. Two months over but hey ho, it's back so that is the most important thing. Along with learning a harsh lesson that has been very costly in monetary and relationship terms I know that much...

I was banned Oct 19 and applied paper/new photo March 21. Didn’t have medical until 12 July and now the wait so somehow you are weeks ahead of me !! 🤷‍♀️
Hi Reets. Have you checked with DVLA that they have all paperwork/ info they need ? Good luck 🤞

Have you had any contact with the DVLA re why it’s taking so long ?
I ticked yes to mental health and drug misuse during my initial medical, they sent a questionnaire for mental health a month and a half after the medical and then a questionnaire for drug misuse a month after that (god knows why they didn’t send them together!). This plus the GP contact has meant that I’ve endured the 10 day scan wait + review wait four times.

Thankfully as the DVLA have been so slow I have now been able to truthfully answer ‘no’ to the “have you in the last 3 years” questions on the questionnaires… although no doubt this will cause confusion and I will be asked to take a urine test next… And so the wait continues… 🤦🏻‍♂️

Have you had any contact with the DVLA re why it’s taking so long ?
I ticked yes to mental health and drug misuse during my initial medical, they sent a questionnaire for mental health a month and a half after the medical and then a questionnaire for drug misuse a month after that (god knows why they didn’t send them together!). This plus the GP contact has meant that I’ve endured the 10 day scan wait + review wait four times.

Thankfully as the DVLA have been so slow I have now been able to truthfully answer ‘no’ to the “have you in the last 3 years” questions on the questionnaires… although no doubt this will cause confusion and I will be asked to take a urine test next… And so the wait continues… 🤦🏻‍♂️
How wearying. I answered yes to mental health ( their Dr filled form in ) , and he just wrote some details down. They then sent a form to GP. In between them “ not receiving “ stuff and their various scanning activities , it was about 13 weeks from medical to licence return .

No idea how you lot manage to get through on the phone I must of tried 150 plus times at the moment and get no where I didnt apply till the 12th but as another user above rang and said they were waiting allocation of a medical Dr I thought id try see if they had mine logged in the system.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off