DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Thanks for this CJ. How do I know if they have written to my GP? Will they also write to me? I had my medical on 31 July.

CAGRMP

As a general rule - if you declare anything on your medical form - the DVLA 'WILL' contact your GP. I suspect the DVLA will still contact the GP if your medical form is squeaky clean. It's almost like an integrity exercise where the Swansea team are ensuring everything you have declared is the gospel truth!!!!

I would still contact your GP surgery - speak to the reception desk and ask them to put a marker on your medical file that you are to be contacted in the event of the DVLA sending any correspondence.

CJ

The doctor that I had the medical with yesterday said that it’s very unlikely they would need to speak to my GP due to everything being normal. I have no history of alcohol abuse, hardly drink anyway and even less now due to it making me realise and it all just being one silly mistake. I hope that is the case as dreading anything else slowing up the process
Lala987

Just be mindful, the DVLA Medical Team could still write to your GP regardless of you having a clean bill of health.

As I've said on another post - this whole process is built around integrity and the DVLA can be very thorough and awkward when they want to be.

CJ

I had my medical 2 weeks ago so phoned the DVLA today just to make sure they had received my bloods which they have. Nice lady on the phone would not give my CDT results but she did say that its all gone to one of the managers today and to keep checking on the website ? Not sure what to make of that if anyone has any info please.

I had my medical 2 weeks ago so phoned the DVLA today just to make sure they had received my bloods which they have. Nice lady on the phone would not give my CDT results but she did say that its all gone to one of the managers today and to keep checking on the website ? Not sure what to make of that if anyone has any info please.
That sounds really positive 😜

Update. Telephoned the DVLA this morning to check that they have received my medical results and questionnaire. I had my medical on 19.7.21 and they stated that they have received everything and is in a queue ready to be reviewed. The chap couldn't provide any further update but at least I know they have everything. Just hope they don't delay matters further and have to contact my GP. This is mainly due to the fact that I have taken on a work contract which requires that I drive once a week and it would be great to get my licence back now, otherwise I will have to leave. Obviously this is not good and counterproductive in terms of lost tax revenue for the government and in turn means that I will have to reclaim benefits again. Yes it's daft to take on the position knowing that I still can't legally drive but I was hoping to get my licence back in time and technically the client couldn't wait any longer. Well I'll keep you all posted on any updates.

Update. Telephoned the DVLA this morning to check that they have received my medical results and questionnaire. I had my medical on 19.7.21 and they stated that they have received everything and is in a queue ready to be reviewed. The chap couldn't provide any further update but at least I know they have everything. Just hope they don't delay matters further and have to contact my GP. This is mainly due to the fact that I have taken on a work contract which requires that I drive once a week and it would be great to get my licence back now, otherwise I will have to leave. Obviously this is not good and counterproductive in terms of lost tax revenue for the government and in turn means that I will have to reclaim benefits again. Yes it's daft to take on the position knowing that I still can't legally drive but I was hoping to get my licence back in time and technically the client couldn't wait any longer. Well I'll keep you all posted on any updates.
Yes. Good to know they have everything. Progress 👍

hi again just got through to dvla after phoning since 8 this morning, they have my medical results ( medical on 17 5 2021) which have been scanned onto system awaiting medical team to respond. It seems the whole of Britain has been done for DD my ban was up 8 May 2021 what’s the wait if they where a private company they would have gone bust by now, sorry for the ranting but very frustrated I can only hope.

what’s the wait if they where a private company they would have gone bust by now, sorry for the ranting but very frustrated I can only hope.

Sapper

The problem is with the DVLA they are not answerable to an independent complaints authority or ombudsman, like most other national organisations - so they can treat their clients how they want and not be scrutinised.

As we have seen in the press - Greater Manchester Police have been put into special measures because their public service is so shocking. Unfortunately, the DVLA are not held accountable like this and this is part of the problem.

If they were a high street retailer, you would simply shop elsewhere wouldn't you? My own personal opinion is that the DVLA need to restructure their operations and have 'regionalised' bases across the UK rather than one central base in Swansea.

CJ

Hi, had my medical on the 14th July and still awaiting urine test results as they wanted to check for drugs, medical paperwork received last week but still nothing on the urine test, they said it could take up to 12 weeks!

Sapper

The problem is with the DVLA they are not answerable to an independent complaints authority or ombudsman, like most other national organisations - so they can treat their clients how they want and not be scrutinised.

As we have seen in the press - Greater Manchester Police have been put into special measures because their public service is so shocking. Unfortunately, the DVLA are not held accountable like this and this is part of the problem.

If they were a high street retailer, you would simply shop elsewhere wouldn't you? My own personal opinion is that the DVLA need to restructure their operations and have 'regionalised' bases across the UK rather than one central base in Swansea.

CJ
Well they need to do something. The lack of accountability is absurd .

I understand. I’m retired and as I spent hours on gold thought just how much more difficult it was for people who were working . Not on at all .
Precisely Polly. Fortunately I've worked from home up until May this year in my last contract and unable to do site inspections re c19. Anyway if I don't hear by the end of next week I will have to throw the towel in on this new contract. At the end of the day the HMRC will not be collecting taxes from me but instead the DWP will be paying for me to be on dole. Double edge sword. If the DVLA could rubber stamp my medical and reinstate my licence then things would be financially beneficial to all parties.

Precisely Polly. Fortunately I've worked from home up until May this year in my last contract and unable to do site inspections re c19. Anyway if I don't hear by the end of next week I will have to throw the towel in on this new contract. At the end of the day the HMRC will not be collecting taxes from me but instead the DWP will be paying for me to be on dole. Double edge sword. If the DVLA could rubber stamp my medical and reinstate my licence then things would be financially beneficial to all parties.

Cafl2014

If it's any condolence, I was put in a very pre-carious position by the DVLA at the start of the year, but thankfully I got my licence back at the 11th hour without it impacting on my employment.

I kind of look at this as a second 'unofficial' punishment - you have already suffered an arrest/conviction/ban (even community service in my case!) but the DVLA seem like they inflict a second dose of 'hell' long after you've exited the Magistrates Court.

Unfortunately, as convicted drink drivers we are in a club, where the general public has no sympathy for our plight even when we get a second kicking in the groin area.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you manage to avoid the Universal Credit - hopefully it'll all come good for you in the end. All the best - stay positive.

CJ

Cafl2014

If it's any condolence, I was put in a very pre-carious position by the DVLA at the start of the year, but thankfully I got my licence back at the 11th hour without it impacting on my employment.

I kind of look at this as a second 'unofficial' punishment - you have already suffered an arrest/conviction/ban (even community service in my case!) but the DVLA seem like they inflict a second dose of 'hell' long after you've exited the Magistrates Court.

Unfortunately, as convicted drink drivers we are in a club, where the general public has no sympathy for our plight even when we get a second kicking in the groin area.

I'll keep my fingers crossed you manage to avoid the Universal Credit - hopefully it'll all come good for you in the end. All the best - stay positive.

CJ
Thanks CJ. I fully appreciate the public and authoritarian officials don't have any sympathy for us and totally understand. I tend to write to the group, whom are in the same boat and feel probably the same as I do. I guess it's a place where you can vent off. Trying to stay positive but it's mentally destroying and sometimes you feel like giving up. 😕

Thanks CJ. I fully appreciate the public and authoritarian officials don't have any sympathy for us and totally understand. I tend to write to the group, whom are in the same boat and feel probably the same as I do. I guess it's a place where you can vent off. Trying to stay positive but it's mentally destroying and sometimes you feel like giving up. 😕

Cafl2014

Experiences like this can only serve to shape us and make us better people for what we are. I'm sure in a year from now, you will be in a good place and able to look back on this with a sense of reflection and learning the very hard way.

I know that I would never even contemplate putting myself through this misery again which bemuses me how some people can be convicted of drink driving more than once!

CJ

Cafl2014

Experiences like this can only serve to shape us and make us better people for what we are. I'm sure in a year from now, you will be in a good place and able to look back on this with a sense of reflection and learning the very hard way.

I know that I would never even contemplate putting myself through this misery again which bemuses me how some people can be convicted of drink driving more than once!

CJ
We never know the circumstances that lead to a person drink driving once or more than once , and I guess non drink drivers are bemused as to why it happens at all .

DVLA wrote to me in June, They mentioned they will just write to my doctor, a seperate page was enclosed stating about drinking under government guidlines, thats the first I have seen! (I get a yearly license, so this will be my third one, but I hope it will be longer). My Doctor called me last week and said he will just fill the form that I am abstinence. I checked DVLA and I can still drive under section 88. So no medical.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off