DVLA Medical - Timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance
Can someone remind me how long you have after receiving the letter to book your medical you have to actually get it done? Is there a maximum time it needs to be booked in/completed by?

Off the top of my head, I believe it is 12 weeks to get the appointment booked. You don't necessarily have to have the medical completed in 12 weeks, but you must have a date confirmed.

CJ

Can someone remind me how long you have after receiving the letter to book your medical you have to actually get it done? Is there a maximum time it needs to be booked in/completed by?
Mine said 6 weeks, others it says 12 weeks. It will say on your letter

Hi, I'm at the stage where the DVLA have written to my GP, my GP responded yday so the papers should be with the DVLA any day now.

My medical (urine sample) is booked for 30.1.23. By this time, i'd hope that the DVLA have assessed the papers from my GP, so the final decision will come down to my urine sample.

Does anyone know how long it should be for you to be granted a licence after the urine sample is received?

Hi, I'm at the stage where the DVLA have written to my GP, my GP responded yday so the papers should be with the DVLA any day now.

My medical (urine sample) is booked for 30.1.23. By this time, i'd hope that the DVLA have assessed the papers from my GP, so the final decision will come down to my urine sample.

Does anyone know how long it should be for you to be granted a licence after the urine sample is received?
Its 10 days for them to get the results on to the system then they won’t put a timescale on a decision after that but typically 2-3 weeks judging from other posts/timescales.

Good luck!

I had my medical on the 6th of December with urine sample and had new shiny licence in the post just after new year but on the letter it said my licence was issued on the 21st December, so was legal and didn't even know it. I suggest checking the .gov website to keep up to date on your licence, all should be good around two weeks if you pass.

Absolutely gobsmacked and delighted today...

I had my medical 8 days ago, I've just checked online and as of tomorrow I'll be the proud owner of a Full 10 Year Driving License.

What's shocked me most is how perfectly the timing has worked out.

My 33 month ban expires TODAY so I won't have to suffer the dreaded extension caused by the backlogs of the DVLA.

I was expecting weeks if not months to be bolted onto the end of a ban that's already felt like forever.

Thank you so much to all the help and support from everyone on this fantastic forum.

Although I've now got my licence back I intend to remain an active participant of this group to help others like so many have helped me.

It's been a marathon undertaking all this waiting and worrying, but like any undertaking - it's worth it in the end.

Best of luck to everyone
I have just passed my medical ! How do I check the status online? Congrats btw !

I have just passed my medical ! How do I check the status online? Congrats btw !
If they have already written to your GP(?) then just keep checking your licence status on the DVLA website daily. That is how I found it. It is updated much more quickly then the actual physical licence.

Put a rough timescale on another thread, so I’ll put it here as well. It’s a bit skewed due to having to arrange things from a different country.

Mid September - D1 form sent off
12 November - HRO medical done (arranged for when I was home from work, couldn’t have been done before 8th anyway)
Mid November - Clinic chased to send questionnaire to DVLA (sent on the same day)
5 December - GP called to inform they may receive DVLA correspondence
7 December - DVLA written to GP
12 December - Called DVLA to find out they’ve written to my GP / Called GP surgery to check they’ve got it (currently in progress)

Annoying as hell with all this, but I’m in the system now and almost on the last leg…

I’d have thought that once the DVLA get the relevant information back from the GP it would be a fairly quick yay or nay, the bottlenecks potentially being sifting through who’s an HRO and who’s not and where each person will do a medical, matching up blood results and questionnaires and then deciding whether or not to get further information?
Have you received it back now

Does anyone know how long it takes once GP sent back forms to DVLA ?
I believe they have 6 weeks to send them back. I’m waiting to hear if the DVLA are going to contact my GP or not and the waiting game of this whole process is horrible, isn’t it.
Sorry, just re-read your message and I’ve answered a completely different question 🤦🏻‍♀️

I believe they have 6 weeks to send them back. I’m waiting to hear if the DVLA are going to contact my GP or not and the waiting game of this whole process is horrible, isn’t it.
GP sent back today. The DVLA said on the phone last week to call them a couple days after the forms have been sent back and yep really annoying me all this waiting about sent first form back in November 90 day turnover bs

GP sent back today. The DVLA said on the phone last week to call them a couple days after the forms have been sent back and yep really annoying me all this waiting about sent first form back in November 90 day turnover
GP sent back today. The DVLA said on the phone last week to call them a couple days after the forms have been sent back and yep really annoying me all this waiting about sent first form back in November 90 day turnover bs
I sent my form to the DVLA on 30.12.22, had my medical on 15.2.23, blood test results with DVLA on 17.2.23 but they hadn’t received the paperwork from the dr who did my medical. I rang DVLA every few days after that to see if the paperwork had arrived and on 1.3.23, it had been scanned onto the system.
Do they always contact your gp, do you know? My ban ends on 25.3.23, so I’m wondering if everything will be sorted by then 🤔

Does anyone know how long it takes once GP sent back forms to DVLA ?
Wait, I'm just pulling that bit of string out of my desk drawer because although they SHOULD reply in 6 weeks, they are under no obligation to actually reply EVER. My GP took nearly 12 weeks the last time.

Wait, I'm just pulling that bit of string out of my desk drawer because although they SHOULD reply in 6 weeks, they are under no obligation to actually reply EVER. My GP took nearly 12 weeks the last time.
Wow. That’s AGES! The ban itself and all that went with it (loss of independence, freedom, cost of taxis etc etc) was a lot but I think this waiting, not knowing if they’ll actually give you your licence back is just as stressful!
Although, I’m totally accountable for the fact that i had my licence taken away from me and I regret my actions terribly, always will :(

I sent my form to the DVLA on 30.12.22, had my medical on 15.2.23, blood test results with DVLA on 17.2.23 but they hadn’t received the paperwork from the dr who did my medical. I rang DVLA every few days after that to see if the paperwork had arrived and on 1.3.23, it had been scanned onto the system.
Do they always contact your gp, do you know? My ban ends on 25.3.23, so I’m wondering if everything will be sorted by then 🤔
There is no rhyme nor reason to this.

I applied for mine around the 17th November, 90 days before it expired and despite calling twice, have heard nothing.

It is to be honest a crap shoot.

I am about to try them again, The usual excuse is that there is a backlog with the clinics, but this is also rubbish as I have spoken to the one I want to use and there is no delay.

I didn't see a reason for them to message the GP so I have a feeling they contact your GP regardless GP just took 3 weeks to fill the form which isn't to bad they've been busy and got it filled in as quick as possible so I'm hoping DVLA receive it and get it done as quick
Mine took 3 weeks sent off to the DVLA today so I'm hoping the DVLA don't take another 3 weeks but to my understanding they said should be a couple of days after they receive

There is no rhyme nor reason to this.

I applied for mine around the 17th November, 90 days before it expired and despite calling twice, have heard nothing.

It is to be honest a crap shoot.

I am about to try them again, The usual excuse is that there is a backlog with the clinics, but this is also rubbish as I have spoken to the one I want to use and there is no delay.
Did you get hold of them and did they give you any update?

Did you get hold of them and did they give you any update?
Spoke with a call handler this afternoon. Nice enough young man, but basically all he could tell me is when they received my application and the two times I had last called. I mentioned people applying after me who already had their medicals and that the GP I wanted to use had no backlog so could see me as soon as the paperwork had been sent to them.

He noted it but no idea if it will make any difference.

Hopeless system, where you basically cannot get past a call handler who essentially tells you nothing.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off