DVLA Medical question

Convicted Driver Insurance
I would suggest taking in the actual GP’s name and the surgery email address also.. I also checked with the GP what should be written on the DR1 form prior to filling it out, we had a call and went through my medical history so everything matched up if they were contacted by the DVLA 👍
Great thank you for that

You really don’t want to know!

If you fail, you’ll most likely be categorised as misusing and will have to show 6 months to a year of abstinence before being allowed to apply again. But that’s only half the headache - you need to get your GP on board to prove this ideally, and this all assumes the DVLA is functioning normally and not snowed under. Timeframes are improving, but some on here including myself have waited months for medicals and their results.

The medical is not one you want to fail. That’s coming from someone who failed their first. Don’t fail.
I have a question if okay? I too failed my first medical last July. It has taken all this time to be back in their system if you like. I sent all the necessary forms, medical questionnaire this March but today had a letter to say the DVLA had written to my Doctor. I understand this is common but I thought the medical was first, then they write to your GP if any concerns? Is there anything I can do to speed up this process. I wondered how long you waited for your 2nd medical, and a rough idea how long the GP has to reply. Is it worth me chasing my GP to ensure the letter is at least at the Surgery? Any advice would be most welcome.... just struggling with the amount of waiting to get my life back on track.

Hi, on the D1 form it also asked if you’ve had any accidents, I was in an accident when I got court. Guess this will also be an issue?

Hi, on the D1 form it also asked if you’ve had any accidents, I was in an accident when I got court. Guess this will also be an issue?
You have to put yes. I had to put yes. But I did explain very frankly to the medic that it was the same and only accident that led to me sitting there.

I have a question if okay? I too failed my first medical last July. It has taken all this time to be back in their system if you like. I sent all the necessary forms, medical questionnaire this March but today had a letter to say the DVLA had written to my Doctor. I understand this is common but I thought the medical was first, then they write to your GP if any concerns? Is there anything I can do to speed up this process. I wondered how long you waited for your 2nd medical, and a rough idea how long the GP has to reply. Is it worth me chasing my GP to ensure the letter is at least at the Surgery? Any advice would be most welcome.... just struggling with the amount of waiting to get my life back on track.

Hi, no problem, happy to help. :)

Very often it depends. If it’s a reapplication, i.e. not the first time after a ban, yes it’s often GP first, because in some cases that are medical (but not to do with alcohol) a medical may not even be required. Proof from GP may be enough, or in some cases even the only way for DVLA to be sure, depending on the condition. It’s not just us going through this process (although our challenges are indeed specific to us with regard to that, as you know!).

This isn’t the case with alcohol cases, so it’s quite normal for them to write to GP first and then decide if medical is needed. Which for DR10 etc. will be 99.9% of the time. And it probably lessens the wait and the burden at the DVLA end, wherever it is the GP being slow to respond rather than them. Probably more of a critical path approach once we enter the medical fray.

We’re all invited to apply with the same form, so it’s a slightly different process to when a ban is simply up. That’s the main reason why.

If you have the proper NHS App (not the test and trace one; I never even downloaded that pirate piece of crap) you can see when the doctors receive paperwork relating to you. I knew they’d sent back what I needed them to by logging into that, because I saw that they had invoiced the DVLA. My GP has never been a problem responding (just what they responded with that causes initial problems). But I would always phone them to check if you’re concerned. Some stories I’ve read it was the GP being the hiatus, which you really don’t need (not with the DVLA default processing speed being about as fast as Harry Maguire reversing around a maze in a Volvo).

Good luck!

Last edited:

Very often it depends. If it’s a reapplication, i.e. not the first time after a ban, yes it’s often GP first, because in some cases that are medical (but not to do with alcohol) a medical may not even be required. Proof from GP may be enough, or in some cases even the only way for DVLA to be sure, depending on the condition. It’s not just us going through this process (although our challenges are indeed specific to us with regard to that, as you know!).

This isn’t the case with alcohol cases, so it’s quite normal for them to write to GP first and then decide if medical is needed. Which for DR10 etc. will be 99.9% of the time. And it probably lessens the wait and the burden at the DVLA end, wherever it is the GP being slow to respond rather than them. Probably more of a critical path approach once we enter the medical fray.

We’re all invited to apply with the same form, so it’s a slightly different process to when a ban is simply up. That’s the main reason why.

If you have the proper NHS App (not the test and trace one; I never even downloaded that pirate piece of crap) you can see when the doctors receive paperwork relating to you. I knew they’d sent back what I needed them to by logging into that, because I saw that they had invoiced the DVLA. My GP has never been a problem responding (just what they responded with that causes initial problems). But I would always phone them to check if you’re concerned. Some stories I’ve read it was the GP being the hiatus, which you really don’t need (not with the DVLA default processing speed being about as fast as Harry Maguire reversing around a maze in a Volvo).

Good luck!
Yo Big Dawg 😂 sorry Sundog,couldn’t resist was feelin all gangsta there for a minute lol, I’ve got the NHS app so if Diariahha VLA contact GP I’ll see it?

Yo Big Dawg 😂 sorry Sundog,couldn’t resist was feelin all gangsta there for a minute lol, I’ve got the NHS app so if Diariahha VLA contact GP I’ll see it?

Well - whilst I'm unsure they'll be too interested in your digestive health - yes. If you have the NHS App and your GP uploads documents to it the way they should, then you'll see their invoice to the DVLA for the report they have to complete.

Obviously they can't invoice the DVLA until that report has been completed and sent back (and doctors love sending third-party invoices almost as much as they do taking kickbacks from drug reps). So it's usually proof it has been done. Worth knowing when you inevitably have to phone them, and they try to fob you off by chucking your GP under the bus.

P.S. No worries fam. :)

Good luck!
Well - whilst I'm unsure they'll be too interested in your digestive health - yes. If you have the NHS App and your GP uploads documents to it the way they should, then you'll see their invoice to the DVLA for the report they have to complete.

Obviously they can't invoice the DVLA until that report has been completed and sent back (and doctors love sending third-party invoices almost as much as they do taking kickbacks from drug reps). So it's usually proof it has been done. Worth knowing when you inevitably have to phone them, and they try to fob you off by chucking your GP under the bus.

P.S. No worries fam. :)
Fanks Bruv innit

Good luck!
What nhs app is this is it the patient access website thank you

It's literally just called 'NHS App'. Patient access should also enable it, but the first one was enough for me to see it.

Note that it may take for your GP to authorise your access (so may take a few days if so), but once they've done that you're in.

I’ve just phoned them and they said sometimes they write to your GP before sending you the questionnaire. Am going to see my GP today about my blood pressure so should I mention it?

I’ve just phoned them and they said sometimes they write to your GP before sending you the questionnaire. Am going to see my GP today about my blood pressure so should I mention it?
Absolutely mention that they are/could be writing to your gp. Try to keep your gp onside and in the loop and to contact you maybe if they receive literature from DVLA

Absolutely mention that they are/could be writing to your gp. Try to keep your gp onside and in the loop and to contact you maybe if they receive literature from DVLA
Thank you. I spoke to a locum GP today at my surgery and she didn’t know much about the process but she was really nice and searched my records and said they had no history of alcohol ever being an issue and the anxiety stuff was standard and I’ve been off meds since May (only sertraline anyway) so she said to get in touch again once I’ve had my medical letter. I asked who my named GP was and she is actually one of the more approachable ones so feel a bit more hopeful. It’s such a nerve racking process though and although this forum is helpful and everyone is encouraging, some of the stories of DVLA incompetence make me feel quite terrified by the process

Thank you. I spoke to a locum GP today at my surgery and she didn’t know much about the process but she was really nice and searched my records and said they had no history of alcohol ever being an issue and the anxiety stuff was standard and I’ve been off meds since May (only sertraline anyway) so she said to get in touch again once I’ve had my medical letter. I asked who my named GP was and she is actually one of the more approachable ones so feel a bit more hopeful. It’s such a nerve racking process though and although this forum is helpful and everyone is encouraging, some of the stories of DVLA incompetence make me feel quite terrified by the process
Totally understand the anxiety, and the majority of us on here have had to deal with that at some level. However, as much as it can go wrong, it can go the other way. I’ve seen on many occasions some getting their licences back in double quick time, unbelievably quick, and some have had horrendous circumstances. So, with that in mind I have just learned to switch off. I have a bit of a laugh on here criticising DVLA and GP’s but there’s nothing you can do but sit and wait. Tick the boxes you have to, jump through the hoops. And give them a bit of hassle at dvla at least once a week. I don’t know if it helps, but it makes me feel better because I’m being proactive.

Totally understand the anxiety, and the majority of us on here have had to deal with that at some level. However, as much as it can go wrong, it can go the other way. I’ve seen on many occasions some getting their licences back in double quick time, unbelievably quick, and some have had horrendous circumstances. So, with that in mind I have just learned to switch off. I have a bit of a laugh on here criticising DVLA and GP’s but there’s nothing you can do but sit and wait. Tick the boxes you have to, jump through the hoops. And give them a bit of hassle at dvla at least once a week. I don’t know if it helps, but it makes me feel better because I’m being proactive.
Once a week your slacking!!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off