CDT Test Fail

Convicted Driver Insurance
you shouldn't have any problem with the test but good luck with the questions
I read somewhere that the test picks up alcohol in your system 7-14 days prior. I’m not sure how accurate that is. But anyway, I’m back to being dry from now until 17th April - as far as the questions are concerned, as I have previously stated in numerous questionnaires since this happened in 2019, there was a period where I was dependent (highly functioning) but still dependent. Right now, as others have said, I’m not about to risk a rejection based on me having a total of around 7 drinks in 3 years. So the questionnaire pre-medical I will be stating zero consumption.

I read somewhere that the test picks up alcohol in your system 7-14 days prior. I’m not sure how accurate that is. But anyway, I’m back to being dry from now until 17th April - as far as the questions are concerned, as I have previously stated in numerous questionnaires since this happened in 2019, there was a period where I was dependent (highly functioning) but still dependent. Right now, as others have said, I’m not about to risk a rejection based on me having a total of around 7 drinks in 3 years. So the questionnaire pre-medical I will be stating zero consumption.
The CDT in your blood stream has a half life of 14 days (approx.) The more you drink prior to this the longer it will take for the level to come down well below the 1.00% you need to get to be sure of getting your licence back.

Does anyone know what reason, other than alcohol consumption, why someone abstaining from alcohol for several years would have a CDT of 1% or above?

Are there other substances or physical health conditions that would give a number above 0% (or close to 0%)?

Does anyone know what reason, other than alcohol consumption, why someone abstaining from alcohol for several years would have a CDT of 1% or above?

Are there other substances or physical health conditions that would give a number above 0% (or close to 0%)?

No one can get a reading of 0.0%. It is impossible unless they are a robot, an animal or they are dead.

CJ

No one can get a reading of 0.0%. It is impossible unless they are a robot, an animal or they are dead.

CJ

Well yeah, that's why I said (close to 0%). I didn't word it very well, I knew that 0% wasn't possible.

Should I not be worried about a 0.9% last time when I don't drink?

Well yeah, that's why I said (close to 0%). I didn't word it very well, I knew that 0% wasn't possible.

No. 0.9% is an excellent score. I’ve been alcohol free for four years and both of my DVLA medicals have had a CDT score of 0.9%.

CJ

Much of it has to do with your own metabolism. Note everyone deals with CDT in the same way. My lowest score was 0.3% after 4 years alcohol free. 0.9% is not a 'fail'

No. 0.9% is an excellent score. I’ve been alcohol free for four years and both of my DVLA medicals have had a CDT score of 0.9%.

CJ

Thank you, that's put my mind at rest. You'll know how it is when people don't believe you when you say you're sober - for the most part it doesn't matter because it's your own acheivement and your life, not theirs, and who cares what other people think.

Thank you, that's put my mind at rest. You'll know how it is when people don't believe you when you say you're sober - for the most part it doesn't matter because it's your own acheivement and your life, not theirs, and who cares what other people think.

Absolutely. Other people generally have a few skeletons of their own tucked away somewhere.

CJ

I reckon more people will break the law too and drive without a licence. When people are deceived and manipulated at the expense of their jobs, homes and health & wellbeing they will resort to their own way of surviving and break the law if need be. All thanks to the DVLA.

CJ
Well said and bang on! Sorry me again. This whole dvla thing is insane. Got the sar from dvla (very quick on that one, I was impressed). Dependency listed as 2010. Misuse this June 23. Gp has said I don’t need to see them! Haven’t been nicked for dd since 2017. Poxy medical license thing! Will try and find dvla letter but am sure it says ‘as you have a history of dependence prove 12 months abstinence’ ….. and doctor doesn’t want give appointment (requested numerous times).

And yes. People will be forced into illegal methods as I can’t work out how to get license back ever… literally!

All the best guys dvla are horrendous

Well said and bang on! Sorry me again. This whole dvla thing is insane. Got the sar from dvla (very quick on that one, I was impressed). Dependency listed as 2010. Misuse this June 23. Gp has said I don’t need to see them! Haven’t been nicked for dd since 2017. Poxy medical license thing! Will try and find dvla letter but am sure it says ‘as you have a history of dependence prove 12 months abstinence’ ….. and doctor doesn’t want give appointment (requested numerous times).

And yes. People will be forced into illegal methods as I can’t work out how to get license back ever… literally!

All the best guys dvla are horrendous

That's what I was wondering, does that mean if you have dependency on file it means you have to never touch a drink again? If it's a 1 year medical licence and you need to be abstinent for 12 months, that would mean no more alcohol, ever.

It doesn't affect me, as I'm a recovering alcholic, I can't go near the stuff, otherwise I'll lose more than just my licence. It must be pretty rough for people that have dependency on file when they aren't actually alcohol dependant.

That's what I was wondering, does that mean if you have dependency on file it means you have to never touch a drink again? If it's a 1 year medical licence and you need to be abstinent for 12 months, that would mean no more alcohol, ever.

It doesn't affect me, as I'm a recovering alcholic, I can't go near the stuff, otherwise I'll lose more than just my licence. It must be pretty rough for people that have dependency on file when they aren't actually alcohol dependant.
Sorry shortest answer ever ‘YUP’

Sorry shortest answer ever ‘YUP’
Or well … basically if you stay 100% abstinent for the rest of your life, then the dvla can randomly kill your license…. It’s down to how they feel on the day. I hate to say this but am used to it. It’s pointless appealing as they never answer! My solution… well if I say it I’ll get shot down by CJ and pc price so hey ho!

Or well … basically if you stay 100% abstinent for the rest of your life, then the dvla can randomly kill your license…. It’s down to how they feel on the day. I hate to say this but am used to it. It’s pointless appealing as they never answer! My solution… well if I say it I’ll get shot down by CJ and pc price so hey ho!

Or well … basically if you stay 100% abstinent for the rest of your life, then the dvla can randomly kill your license….

Well I worry about that because of what we would end up losing. We have a mobility vehicle on the Mobility Scheme. If I lose my licence then we'd lose the vehicle - we'd probably be able to keep it a month, maybe two (suffer the financial loss of paying for a car we can't use). After that I'd have to get rid as it's hard enough living with £200 - £300 (can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head) less per month. There wasn't much change out of £2000 for the vehicle - we wouldn't get any of that back and if I did get my licence back I'd have to try and find another vehicle (they are like rocking horse muck right now) and pay out another £2k - money we just don't have. My partner would lose most, if not all of her freedom, and I'd probably never want to go through all the heartache of it again.

I certainly do sympathise with people that have had their licences revoked/not granted when they've been honest and do everything right. Failing for some just isn't really an option.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off