Admiral Claim and Final Reminder notice

Convicted Driver Insurance

anonymous55555

Hi,

I was convicted of a DUI early October in 2019, Admiral had received information from the Police prior to my court hearing that is was due to a DUI, Admiral have proceeded with this case as expected and after my conviction they had sent me various letters saying that I owe them varying figures each time. The highest being in the region of £12000. Today they have emailed me, a letter will more than likely follow in the post that the outstanding cost is around £8500 and that I must bank transfer them the figure or write them a cheque within 14 days or my case will then be forwarded to their solicitor, then it will progress to a debt collection team.

I am just looking for some help with it and what my next steps should be, any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently unemployed with no assets or money to my name and due to C-19 I am back living with parents.

The admiral claim is also rather questionable as they are charging me originally £8500 for hire costs which was a 14 day period (the vehicle hired was a DAF truck)

And the only damage that is visible and quite clearly seen is a broken taillight which all in all the repair costs are in excess of a £1000. Are these figures realistic?

They had also left me alone for almost 18 months after I said I was going to get legal help, but I also don't know if this is down to the C-19 outbreak and their pursuit of claims have temporarily been put on hold.

anonymous55555

Do you have an update on this?

I contacted them saying something along the lines of:

I am not refusing to pay I am simply disputing the absurd costs that I have to pay, notably the hire costs. So I will be seeking legal advice.

As far as I'm aware they can't pursue matters if you have agreed that you will pay it, however, you do have a right to question it.

I am still yet to recieve a response from their claims department for over a month now.

They also posted a charge sheet to me to fill out for my monthly expenditure that coincided with the final reminder in the hopes that I'd fill it out and they could then post a monthly figure that I'd have to pay.

Also, admiral will not disclose any of the updated documents to me regarding the incident unless I submit a SAR, which I still believe I should be entitled to see a full breakdown of how they arrived at me paying over £8000 when they disclosed the other documents that had a different debt figure on.

Do you have an update on this?

Polly3

Offer them 5 pound a month say thats all you can afford
I contacted them saying something along the lines of:

I am not refusing to pay I am simply disputing the absurd costs that I have to pay, notably the hire costs. So I will be seeking legal advice.

As far as I'm aware they can't pursue matters if you have agreed that you will pay it, however, you do have a right to question it.

I am still yet to recieve a response from their claims department for over a month now.

They also posted a charge sheet to me to fill out for my monthly expenditure that coincided with the final reminder in the hopes that I'd fill it out and they could then post a monthly figure that I'd have to pay.

Also, admiral will not disclose any of the updated documents to me regarding the incident unless I submit a SAR, which I still believe I should be entitled to see a full breakdown of how they arrived at me paying over £8000 when they disclosed the other documents that had a different debt figure on.
Guygibson is right with his approach . They are trying to bully you. It sounds like you’ve done well dealing with them so far . I can’t see how you can consider repaying anything until you agree the amount . Also , yes, make an offer . I doubt they’ll see you is claims court as their behaviour would then be laid bare .

Depressed Dad

Why does it need a SAR?
Surely that's a request for personal information they hold about you and how they have used it?
You just want them to justify the amount they are asking for and how they ensured it was kept to a minimum.
If they take the OP to court they'd have to share it all anyway.

Is this a new tactic by Admiral to make things more difficult?

I guess a truck is expensive to hire but did it really take 14 days to get the damaged truck back on the road.

I would do what you can to reduce the amount and then offer the £5 per month that Guy suggested. Bear in mind they'll come back for more if your income increases.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off