Admiral Claim and Final Reminder notice

Convicted Driver Insurance

anonymous55555

Hi,

I was convicted of a DUI early October in 2019, Admiral had received information from the Police prior to my court hearing that is was due to a DUI, Admiral have proceeded with this case as expected and after my conviction they had sent me various letters saying that I owe them varying figures each time. The highest being in the region of £12000. Today they have emailed me, a letter will more than likely follow in the post that the outstanding cost is around £8500 and that I must bank transfer them the figure or write them a cheque within 14 days or my case will then be forwarded to their solicitor, then it will progress to a debt collection team.

I am just looking for some help with it and what my next steps should be, any help will be greatly appreciated. I am currently unemployed with no assets or money to my name and due to C-19 I am back living with parents.

The admiral claim is also rather questionable as they are charging me originally £8500 for hire costs which was a 14 day period (the vehicle hired was a DAF truck)

And the only damage that is visible and quite clearly seen is a broken taillight which all in all the repair costs are in excess of a £1000. Are these figures realistic?

They had also left me alone for almost 18 months after I said I was going to get legal help, but I also don't know if this is down to the C-19 outbreak and their pursuit of claims have temporarily been put on hold.

Do you have an update on this?

I contacted them saying something along the lines of:

I am not refusing to pay I am simply disputing the absurd costs that I have to pay, notably the hire costs. So I will be seeking legal advice.

As far as I'm aware they can't pursue matters if you have agreed that you will pay it, however, you do have a right to question it.

I am still yet to recieve a response from their claims department for over a month now.

They also posted a charge sheet to me to fill out for my monthly expenditure that coincided with the final reminder in the hopes that I'd fill it out and they could then post a monthly figure that I'd have to pay.

Also, admiral will not disclose any of the updated documents to me regarding the incident unless I submit a SAR, which I still believe I should be entitled to see a full breakdown of how they arrived at me paying over £8000 when they disclosed the other documents that had a different debt figure on.

Do you have an update on this?

Offer them 5 pound a month say thats all you can afford
I contacted them saying something along the lines of:

I am not refusing to pay I am simply disputing the absurd costs that I have to pay, notably the hire costs. So I will be seeking legal advice.

As far as I'm aware they can't pursue matters if you have agreed that you will pay it, however, you do have a right to question it.

I am still yet to recieve a response from their claims department for over a month now.

They also posted a charge sheet to me to fill out for my monthly expenditure that coincided with the final reminder in the hopes that I'd fill it out and they could then post a monthly figure that I'd have to pay.

Also, admiral will not disclose any of the updated documents to me regarding the incident unless I submit a SAR, which I still believe I should be entitled to see a full breakdown of how they arrived at me paying over £8000 when they disclosed the other documents that had a different debt figure on.
Guygibson is right with his approach . They are trying to bully you. It sounds like you’ve done well dealing with them so far . I can’t see how you can consider repaying anything until you agree the amount . Also , yes, make an offer . I doubt they’ll see you is claims court as their behaviour would then be laid bare .

Why does it need a SAR?
Surely that's a request for personal information they hold about you and how they have used it?
You just want them to justify the amount they are asking for and how they ensured it was kept to a minimum.
If they take the OP to court they'd have to share it all anyway.

Is this a new tactic by Admiral to make things more difficult?

I guess a truck is expensive to hire but did it really take 14 days to get the damaged truck back on the road.

I would do what you can to reduce the amount and then offer the £5 per month that Guy suggested. Bear in mind they'll come back for more if your income increases.

So it has been over a year since I last posted and the reason I'm posting now is because Admiral have made contact today via email.

The letter is seeking repayment. It also says that as they haven't heard from my solicitor they are speaking to me directly. However, they never actually responded to my email in response to their's last year about challenging the costs of hire.

I do not live in the UK anymore, do I just ignore the email?

When I moved I went through all documentation and managed to find the very first letter of total costs of the claim from Admiral and this was £1500.

So it has been over a year since I last posted and the reason I'm posting now is because Admiral have made contact today via email.

The letter is seeking repayment. It also says that as they haven't heard from my solicitor they are speaking to me directly. However, they never actually responded to my email in response to their's last year about challenging the costs of hire.

I do not live in the UK anymore, do I just ignore the email?

When I moved I went through all documentation and managed to find the very first letter of total costs of the claim from Admiral and this was £1500.
Interesting.
My son went travelling and was away for over two years. Admiral seemed to lose interest at that time.

Probably best to ask your solicitor, but my understanding is:

They have 6 years to take you to court from the time of the incident (or maybe from the time they know how much the claim is).

I don't know what happens if they want to take you to court. If you don't turn up Admiral will automatically win and you will have a County Court Judgment against you. That stays on record for 6 years.

Either way, if you are out of the country for a few years it'll either time out through statute of limitation, or they'll have no chance to get the money from you and the CCJ will time out.

Interesting.
My son went travelling and was away for over two years. Admiral seemed to lose interest at that time.

Probably best to ask your solicitor, but my understanding is:

They have 6 years to take you to court from the time of the incident (or maybe from the time they know how much the claim is).

I don't know what happens if they want to take you to court. If you don't turn up Admiral will automatically win and you will have a County Court Judgment against you. That stays on record for 6 years.

Either way, if you are out of the country for a few years it'll either time out through statute of limitation, or they'll have no chance to get the money from you and the CCJ will time out.

Thank you for your reply,

I'm not sure on how I should proceed to be honest.

Maybe I'll just forward their first cost of £1500 and ask why the values have changed then request a full breakdown.

Are they now asking for more than £1,500?

What has happened to your solicitor?

Do you want the settle the claim after you have challenged it and hopefully got it reduced?

Do you plan to return to the U.K.?

Are they now asking for more than £1,500?

What has happened to your solicitor?

Do you want the settle the claim after you have challenged it and hopefully got it reduced?

Do you plan to return to the U.K.?

Yes, the first figure was £1500, then I had some figures after that around £12000 and then this one now, this is the same as the last one and that is around £8500.

I never had a solicitor in the first place, I just told them I was getting legal advice and they left me alone.

To be honest I do not wish to even pay £1500 for a broken taillight.

I have no intentions to return to the UK, only to visit my parents/family a few times each year.

Update after a long while.

Admiral sent correspondence a few times after my last post. I challenged them with the figures and found a total claim cost for as low as £600. I had also stated I had moved from the UK and had just entered employment, so I'll need time to pay back the £600.

Admiral responded and said sorry for the confusion but the final figure is around £8000. I ignored this as they didn't address anything but the figure owed and demanded payment. A few months had passed and Admiral sent further correspondence (another final reminder).

The main reason I'm writing this post is because today a man had turned up to my parents address to give me a court summons, he told my parents I owe around £3500. No summons were served and I have heard nothing from Admiral for over 7 months.

What should my next steps be?

There is certainly nothing admiral about the way they treat people convicted of drink driving.

CJ

Seek professional legal advice.
There's definitely a limit to what can be achieved on this anonymous forum.

I don't know if laying low outside the U.K. will eventually make the problem go away. It certainly makes it more difficult for them. I guess they might be able to get a default judgment against you in your absence.

But I'm only guessing hence the need to get some proper advice.

Seek professional legal advice.
There's definitely a limit to what can be achieved on this anonymous forum.

I don't know if laying low outside the U.K. will eventually make the problem go away. It certainly makes it more difficult for them. I guess they might be able to get a default judgment against you in your absence.

But I'm only guessing hence the need to get some proper advice.
Thank you for your reply once again,

I'll try get some legal advice on this one.

Update after a long while.

Admiral sent correspondence a few times after my last post. I challenged them with the figures and found a total claim cost for as low as £600. I had also stated I had moved from the UK and had just entered employment, so I'll need time to pay back the £600.

Admiral responded and said sorry for the confusion but the final figure is around £8000. I ignored this as they didn't address anything but the figure owed and demanded payment. A few months had passed and Admiral sent further correspondence (another final reminder).

The main reason I'm writing this post is because today a man had turned up to my parents address to give me a court summons, he told my parents I owe around £3500. No summons were served and I have heard nothing from Admiral for over 7 months.

What should my next steps be?
Personally I would go to court plead poverty and give the 5 pound a month insurance companies are scum anyway

Some are more reputable than others. Direct Line is one to avoid.

CJ
Couldn’t agree more im dealing with them at the moment nightmare! Say one thing then do another and I’m always the last to know until court summons or bailiffs letter arrives.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off