Devastated

Convicted Driver Insurance

topchippyles

Established Member
I cannot remember writing on this forum so disappointed only going back when i got done for DD. I received a letter today from the dvla and they have classed me as alcohol dependant for some reason. Even when i first reapplied for my licence i was only classed as misuse after they wrote to my Gp. I have been having regular blood tests over the last 3 years and spoke with my Gp 6 weeks ago over the phone who said she would 1000% support me renewing my licence after my last blood tests. I cannot understand what is going on and on my 51 st birthday today what a shock.

I totally abstained from alcohol during lockdown for over 12 moths and drink once a week 3 pints which put down on my D1 renewal form.

Last edited:
I cannot remember writing on this forum so disappointed only going back when i got done for DD. I received a letter today from the dvla and they have classed me as alcohol dependant for some reason. Even when i first reapplied for my licence i was only classed as misuse after they wrote to my Gp. I have been having regular blood tests over the last 3 years and spoke with my Gp 6 weeks ago over the phone who said she would 1000% support me renewing my licence after my last blood tests. I cannot understand what is going on and on my 51 st birthday today what a shock.

I totally abstained from alcohol during lockdown for over 12 moths and drink once a week 3 pints which put down on my D1 renewal form.
That's really sad. Had they asked you to show complete abstinence? They might have decided this because you said you drink 3 pints a week. I know its petty but when they have you flagged as misuse I think they are looking for complete abstinence 😢

That's really sad. Had they asked you to show complete abstinence? They might have decided this because you said you drink 3 pints a week. I know its petty but when they have you flagged as misuse I think they are looking for complete abstinence 😢
I had my licence missbee and have never been classed as alcohol dependant only as misuse 8 years ago. I proved 12 months no alcohol even though it was only required 6 months of controlled drinking. I have had 4 blood tests done over the last year which have been clear and Gp gave me the green light to renew my licence. Only red flag would have been putting down 6 units a week but that is well under the 14 units guidance.

I had my licence missbee and have never been classed as alcohol dependant only as misuse 8 years ago. I proved 12 months no alcohol even though i was only required 6 months of controlled drinking. I have had 4 blood tests done over the last year which has been clear and Gp gave me the green light to renew my licence. Only red flag would have been putting down 6 units a week but that is well under the 14 units guidance.
That's really confusing then. Can they give you an indepth decision on why they've done this? Or appeal it..
Seems rather harsh!

That's really confusing then. Can they give you an indepth decision on why they've done this? Or appeal it..
Seems rather harsh!
Seems rather harsh!
I have tried getting through to the medical team today same old story line is busy nobody available. I will keep trying to get through and see why they have come to this decision and go down the appeal route not sure what the process is though. Last 3 years having regular liver function blood tests a full liver scan all were clear and my last dvla medical i was 0.8 CDT.

As crazy as it sounds in the real world:

"More than 8 units of alcohol in a single session for males, or more than 6 units in a single session for females is the technical definition"

So it depends on what you drink - three pints @ 5.2% would be nine units, so technically a binge.

Tom, it’s outrageous, but the probable explanation is the DVLAs estimate of them thinking you had eight units in a single session. How many people do that on regular basis without it causing life issues. Sorry to hear this. x

I'm sorry to hear about this topchippyles. I can only make the assumption that you have declared drinking alcohol somewhere in the application process. This whole medical/HRO process is a mindfield, it really is!

I have participated in a few different threads on this forum over the last three years and I once recall a conversation whereby it said - there is being 'honest and transparent' with the DVLA and then there is being 'too honest and transparent' with the DVLA.

Knowing what I know know - I would never disclose consuming any alcohol. I wouldn't even tell these idiots I have recently eaten a steak & ale pie or a packet of wine gums. The fact is, once these faceless clowns have you under their radar, I would simply go with the zero tolerance approach and tell them zero zilch when it comes to alcohol consumption.

I am fortunate, that I can genuinely say hand on heart I have never drank anything alcoholic since August 2019. However, as we approach 2023, I am not so sure whether I will still be wearing that sobriety dog collar a year from now. Nobody can really say the same thing, but I can say that whatever is disclosed to the DVLA in the months & years to come will read zero alcohol consumption on my paperwork.

topchippyles - I would advise you to contact the DVLA medical team ASAP and demand some explanation.

CJ

Tom, it’s outrageous, but the probable explanation is the DVLAs estimate of them thinking you had eight units in a single session. How many people do that on regular basis without it causing life issues. Sorry to hear this. x
I have 3 pints and put 6 units down weekly not 8 units

I'm sorry to hear about this topchippyles. I can only make the assumption that you have declared drinking alcohol somewhere in the application process. This whole medical/HRO process is a mindfield, it really is!

I have participated in a few different threads on this forum over the last three years and I once recall a conversation whereby it said - there is being 'honest and transparent' with the DVLA and then there is being 'too honest and transparent' with the DVLA.

Knowing what I know know - I would never disclose consuming any alcohol. I wouldn't even tell these idiots I have recently eaten a steak & ale pie or a packet of wine gums. The fact is, once these faceless clowns have you under their radar, I would simply go with the zero tolerance approach and tell them zero zilch when it comes to alcohol consumption.

I am fortunate, that I can genuinely say hand on heart I have never drank anything alcoholic since August 2019. However, as we approach 2023, I am not so sure whether I will still be wearing that sobriety dog collar a year from now. Nobody can really say the same thing, but I can say that whatever is disclosed to the DVLA in the months & years to come will read zero alcohol consumption on my paperwork.

topchippyles - I would advise you to contact the DVLA medical team ASAP and demand some explanation.

CJ
I put down 6 units weekly CJ and they have now classed me as alcohol dependent which is crazy. I should have put zero down i agree but i have had 4 liver blood test done over the last year and Gp was 1000% happy for me to apply. Have you come across any posts where they have made the wrong decision and changed their position (dvla) They have not contacted my Gp just a straight forward no abstain for another 12 months and prove no alcohol. I thought once i regained my licence i was no longer classed as HRO and could drink a couple of beers once a week. Madness

I put down 6 units weekly CJ and they have now classed me as alcohol dependent which is crazy.
It is crazy I agree.
I thought once i regained my licence i was no longer classed as HRO and could drink a couple of beers once a week. Madness
Sadly, as long as you are under the DVLA medical team radar (up to 6 years) they can scrutinise you. The HRO label ends once you receive your first driving licence (post DD ban), but you then become a ongoing medical case.

As I said in my previous post, I honestly think the mistake you have made here is declaring the 8 units you drink each week. From once speaking to Price1367 (long missed he is), it is always wise not to declare any relationship with alcohol until such time you are off the DVLA books and you no longer have to go through this pantomime. Especially if you have been classed in the dependant or misuser category.

CJ

I put down 6 units weekly CJ and they have now classed me as alcohol dependent which is crazy. I should have put zero down i agree but i have had 4 liver blood test done over the last year and Gp was 1000% happy for me to apply. Have you come across any posts where they have made the wrong decision and changed their position (dvla) They have not contacted my Gp just a straight forward no abstain for another 12 months and prove no alcohol. I thought once i regained my licence i was no longer classed as HRO and could drink a couple of beers once a week. Madness
They are basing this on something on your file.. I would do a SAR with the DVLA and in the meantime ask your GP to email a formal letter to them stating they are happy with the results and the position you are in..

They do make mistakes though, I know this first hand after being issued a license for them to retract it a day later!!

They are basing this on something on your file.. I would do a SAR with the DVLA and in the meantime ask your GP to email a formal letter to them stating they are happy with the results and the position you are in..

They do make mistakes though, I know this first hand after being issued a license for them to retract it a day later!!
no way they retracted your licence?? On what grounds

How did you find out they retracted it

It was the first time it got issued not the second time :) got a shiny new card in the post yesterday 🙌 best Christmas present ever!
Ah thank god! I thought it was this licence ... I panicked and checked mine 🤣 I haven't received my licence yet though...I feel like calling the DVLA for old times sake 🤣

Guys i spoke with the dvla medical dept today this is the reply i got from them.

Guy from dvla confirmed i had put down my last drink on 5/8/2022 6 units - This was the reason they instantly revoked my licence and classed me as dependant and need to abstain and prove 12 months alcohol free. He said the dvla had new rules in place since last year and anyone who has been classed as misuse or dependant in the last 6 years and declare they have had alcohol intake when applying to renew/regain their licence will instantly be refused.

My stupid fault if i had put 0 alcohol intake i would have sailed through my renewal as full support from my doctor and two and a half years of liver function blood tests to back it up. Gutted is an under statement i have read so many times on here people putting small amount of alcohol intake and get a renewal or full licence back.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off