Devastated

Convicted Driver Insurance
Guys i spoke with the dvla medical dept today this is the reply i got from them.

Guy from dvla confirmed i had put down my last drink on 5/8/2022 6 units - This was the reason they instantly revoked my licence and classed me as dependant and need to abstain and prove 12 months alcohol free. He said the dvla had new rules in place since last year and anyone who has been classed as misuse or dependant in the last 6 years and declare they have had alcohol when applying to renew/regain their licence will instantly be refused.

My stupid fault if i had put 0 alcohol intake i would have sailed through my renewal as full support from my doctor and two and a half years of liver function blood tests to back it up. Gutted is an under statement i have read so many times on here people putting small amount of alcohol intake and get a renewal or full licence back.
That's just insane. I'm so sorry. They honestly just seem to change the rules when they want. It's just going to make the more dangerous drinkers lie and get their licences back when people like you have been honest and are being punished

That's just insane. I'm so sorry. They honestly just seem to change the rules when they want. It's just going to make the more dangerous drinkers lie and get their licences back when people like you have been honest and are being punished
Missbee i am at a total loss. I asked him once i regained my yearly licence was i no longer classed as HRO he confirmed yes which is why i put down 6 units a week and my last drink on 5/8/2022. I have a photo from last year on my D1 form i put 8 units weekly and i sailed through the medical with the dvla doctor and received a 1 year licence.

Missbee i am at a total loss. I asked him once i regained my yearly licence was i no longer classed as HRO he confirmed yes which is why i put down 6 units a week and my last drink on 5/8/2022. I have a photo from last year on my D1 form i put 8 units weekly and i sailed through the medical with the dvla doctor and received a 1 year licence.
Can you email Tim burton? Explain the situation and how you've changed your life around. Explain what you've done to change and how you're actually drinking less then you were at your last licence.
I swear he is the reason I got my licence back. TIM.BURTON@DVLA.GOV.UK

It's well worth a shot! Might be worth sending a letter from your GP too attached so he can see everything x

Can you email Tim burton? Explain the situation and how you've changed your life around. Explain what you've done to change and how you're actually drinking less then you were at your last licence.
I swear he is the reason I got my licence back. TIM.BURTON@DVLA.GOV.UK
It's well worth a shot! Might be worth sending a letter from your GP too attached so he can see everything x
I am going to do that 100% thanks for the link Missbe. For the life of me how can the dvla class me as alcohol dependant for declaring 6 units weekly without writing to my Gp first. I proved over 12 months i abstained from alcohol in the last 2 years and i informed him over the phone i continue to have 3 monthly LFT done and gp was in full support of me driving.

Can i ask what situation you were in missbe i have seen you on the forum a lot over the last few months.

This is dreadful Tom, surely any changes to the DVLAs requirements should be made known to all interested persons. I applied for my first post HRO licence in November last year and was granted a medical license for three years. As I was classified as a misuser I put down honestly what I had been drinking, and this wasn’t flagged as an issue.
I feel very strongly that if you received a letter from the DVLA a stating what their expectations were for you, which I imagine you must have….then if they changed their criteria they should have made sure that they let you know
This is well worth challenging
Best if luck, and I totally understand your frustration
Jane

This is dreadful Tom, surely any changes to the DVLAs requirements should be made known to all interested persons. I applied for my first post HRO licence in November last year and was granted a medical license for three years. As I was classified as a misuser I put down honestly what I had been drinking, and this wasn’t flagged as an issue.
I feel very strongly that if you received a letter from the DVLA a stating what their expectations were for you, which I imagine you must have….then if they changed their criteria they should have made sure that they let you know
This is well worth challenging
Best if luck, and I totally understand your frustration
Jane
Thank jane. I put down 8 units weekly when i got my 1st licence last year this time i put 6 units down and instantly classed as dependant and licence revoked. I was only ever classed as misuse never dependant he confirmed that over the phone today. I just cannot understand how they can define me as alcohol dependant putting 6 units weekly (2 pints strong larger) on my renewal form after abstaining for 12 months one year previously.

I am going to do that 100% thanks for the link Missbe. For the life of me how can the dvla class me as alcohol dependant for declaring 6 units weekly without writing to my Gp first. I proved over 12 months i abstained from alcohol in the last 2 years and i informed him over the phone i continue to have 3 monthly LFT done and gp was in full support of me driving.

Can i ask what situation you were in missbe i have seen you on the forum a lot over the last few months.
Mine wasn't anything like yours

This is the email i sent him

Dear Mr Burton

I hope this email finds you well

I'm sorry to be emailing you, but I really need some assistance.

My driving disqualification ended on the 28th September 2022. I am still waiting for my licence to be reinstated.

I have done everything in my power to get things moving but am now at a dead end and reliant on the waiting times in the medical department.

I applied for my licence in August. Had my medical on 18th October. Docs had forms on 5th November and sent back on the 29th November. I've since had to get another form emailed to them to fill it out and email it back.
I've requested for the email to be searched and I've been informed this also has a waiting list!
The email from my doctor was sent in at 15.42pm 16th December 2022. By clairehamill@nhs.net to the eftd email.

My children were due to start their new school in October due to one of my children being bullied and the school not meeting his ASD needs. Without my car, I can't get to the new school and work on time whilst using public transport as it takes 90mins, at the new school ill have 15 minutes to get from school

I applied for my 1st licence in Aug, ban finished on 28th Sept. Due to constant waiting times delays and empty promises from DVLA and my GP it took nearly 5 months to be completed.

The paper work never arrived from gp to dvla. So I got my gp to email it over to them got the exact date and time and emailed Tim on the Friday night explaining my situation and how it was affecting life, called again Saturday dvla hadn't got my paper work. Called Monday morning 10am hadn't got my paper work..emailed Tim again, called up at 11 and surprise surprise my licence had been reinstated.

Mine wasn't anything like yours

This is the email i sent him

Dear Mr Burton

I hope this email finds you well

I'm sorry to be emailing you, but I really need some assistance.

My driving disqualification ended on the 28th September 2022. I am still waiting for my licence to be reinstated.

I have done everything in my power to get things moving but am now at a dead end and reliant on the waiting times in the medical department.

I applied for my licence in August. Had my medical on 18th October. Docs had forms on 5th November and sent back on the 29th November. I've since had to get another form emailed to them to fill it out and email it back.
I've requested for the email to be searched and I've been informed this also has a waiting list!
The email from my doctor was sent in at 15.42pm 16th December 2022. By clairehamill@nhs.net to the eftd email.

My children were due to start their new school in October due to one of my children being bullied and the school not meeting his ASD needs. Without my car, I can't get to the new school and work on time whilst using public transport as it takes 90mins, at the new school ill have 15 minutes to get from school

I applied for my 1st licence in Aug, ban finished on 28th Sept. Due to constant waiting times delays and empty promises from DVLA and my GP it took nearly 5 months to be completed.

The paper work never arrived from gp to dvla. So I got my gp to email it over to them got the exact date and time and emailed Tim on the Friday night explaining my situation and how it was affecting life, called again Saturday dvla hadn't got my paper work. Called Monday morning 10am hadn't got my paper work..emailed Tim again, called up at 11 and surprise surprise my licence had been reinstated.
I've copied the email I sent to him too

I've copied the email I sent to him too
Thanks ever so much I have spoken with my surgery and will be making an appointment next week to visit GP. I will put everything together and hopefully a cover letter from the doctor and email it directly to the medical department and Tim Burton'.

The recent updates on this thread suggest the DVLA have moved the goal posts with this process (farce). Sadly topchippyles has been unlucky enough to be caught up in this game of cat & mouse where the DVLA seem to hold an ace card up their sleeve and manipulate their own system. Complete snakes.

If anyone reads this thread and takes anything away from it - do not declare any recent alcohol consumption. If you've had a Christmas tipple recently and have to go through a medical in the near future do not say you have had even consumed one unit. I wouldn't even admit to walking past an off licence in the current climate.

CJ

@topchippyles
Really sorry to hear about your plight. What an absolute comedy show they are at the DVLA sometimes.
Fingers crossed for you that an email to Mr B will at least make him see sense.
Wish you luck !

That's great news Dovi. How long is your second licence for?

CJ
After having it revoked wrongly its a full 10 year license! Its a very odd feeling, much rather give people lifts and not touch a drop of alcohol over Christmas! My family are already seeing the benefits and that’s the goal.

Guys i spoke with the dvla medical dept today this is the reply i got from them.

Guy from dvla confirmed i had put down my last drink on 5/8/2022 6 units - This was the reason they instantly revoked my licence and classed me as dependant and need to abstain and prove 12 months alcohol free. He said the dvla had new rules in place since last year and anyone who has been classed as misuse or dependant in the last 6 years and declare they have had alcohol intake when applying to renew/regain their licence will instantly be refused.

My stupid fault if i had put 0 alcohol intake i would have sailed through my renewal as full support from my doctor and two and a half years of liver function blood tests to back it up. Gutted is an under statement i have read so many times on here people putting small amount of alcohol intake and get a renewal or full licence back.
Exactly the same with me too! Changed guidelines not informed not known not being aware of bang revoked license even I have been driving the last 5 years! Absolute nonsense!

How are you doing @topchippyles
Not to bad thanks. Filled my forms out and returned them to the GP surgery and the practice secretary phoned my on friday to say she has processed them and it will take a week to request full access to my medical records. Fingers crossed there is nothing documented related to alcohol issues in the past 7 years and next step is to ask Gp to write to the dvla. The process is different in wales to gain access to medical records.

Not to bad thanks. Filled my forms out and returned them to the GP surgery and the practice secretary phoned my on friday to say she has processed them and it will take a week to request full access to my medical records. Fingers crossed there is nothing documented related to alcohol issues in the past 7 years and next step is to ask Gp to write to the dvla. The process is different in wales to gain access to medical records.
Hoping that everything works out for you. Have you spoken to the DVLA about appealing the dependency

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off