Representing one's self...

Convicted Driver Insurance

Shamed

Hi all, a bit of advice needed if at all possible.

Firstly, I blame nobody but myself for my actions. As such, I fully intend to hold my hands up at the very earliest opportunity.

I am 30. Four weeks ago I got into my car, wrapped it round a tree, got taken to hospital, and given a blood test. I am fine, thank God. Nobody else involoved.

Today, the police called. I have arranged to go to be charged and "processed" a week on Friday. My blood test showed me to be twice the limit. I have never been in trouble with the police in anyway before.

However, I can not afford a solicitor. Plus, I want to plead guilty to everything from the moment I meet the police. It is my fault. I am going through hell, no sleep, stressed, but again - my fault. I just want this over with.

Do I need a lawyer? I am planning to write a letter to the magistrates expressing my full remorse and accepting my punishment. I plan on representing myself as I brought this on myself.

Any help very much appreciated. I am in termoil, but want to see it out myself.

Thank you.

The Courts use their sentencing guidelines as a starting point for drink driving offences. The guidelines are available here:
http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_sentencing_guidelines.php

You will see that your alcohol reading places you in the bracket for a community sentence and a ban of between 17 and 22 months. A good plea in mitigation may help you to persuade the Court to either give you a sentence at the bottom end of the bracket or, occasionally, to step outside the guidelines completely, which could mean a minimum disqualification being imposed.

All the mitigation you mention will help. You should produce evidence in support of all the points you intend to raise.

If the length of ban is important to you I would encourage you to instruct a solicitor before going to court. This can often be done for a fixed fee.

We provide a nationwide serve and would be only too happy to talk you you about your case over the phone in more detail. Please call us on 08450020736.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off