Now told I have to take the Drink Driving Medical Assessment!!! help!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

andymorl

Hello I am seeking advice following a 18 month drink driving ban I was convicted of November 2009. I served this ban in full and received my full licence back as of the end of April 2011. While applying for my licence back it was brought to my attention that High Risk Offenders would need to take a medical assessment (found myself falling in this category as I was two and a half times over the legal limit), after enquiring further about this I was told it was not necessary to take the medical assessment, received my licence and have been able to drive since.

Now I have just got a letter through the post dated 8th December 2011 telling me I now need to complete the medical assessment by a doctor appointed by the DVAL at a cost of £96 (plus VAT f the doctor is appointed for VAT). The reason given for this is that they have found issues with the system used by Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS) to notify the DVAL of driving convictions, which has resulted in some convicted drink drivers who must be treated as Hight Risk Offenders not being subject to the necessary medical assessment before their new driving licence was issued; and if I fail to respond within 21 working days of the letter it will be assumed that I wish not to proceed with the examination consequently resulting in my licence being revoked.

Further to this the letter is inaccurate as the given conviction date is 30th January 2009 over 10 months out. There is also a free phone number to call to arrange the medical assessment.

It seems that I will be losing out for a mistake of there's that I took the time to inquire about and was told that there was no need for in the first place. Please help.....

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I've recieved the same letter, I spoke to my Solicitor yesterday about it and he told me to comply with the terms of the letter and take the medical. Unless you drink a stupid ammount and do not have any liver problems you will be a ok. I was advised to have a moderate Christmas on the booze and drink in moderation if at all before the medical.

Think of the plus side, it's fashionable to detox in January plus it's a new years resolution you will have to keep at least until after the medical results come through with a pass!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off