Medical today - line in the sand

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paul W

Hi everyone, just a few days short of 12 months I've had my medical today. Former HRO and already had a 1 year licence, then driving under section 88 for 11 months, 3 weeks and 4 days (currently) and medical today 8th March, 2021.

Purpose of this thread is to address a much asked question - how long to get results back and how long before i know if i get a licence renewal or decline. Obviously this will vary on individual circumstances but as the DVLA have told me they are getting close to pre-covid processing capacity it might just provide some indicative timelines.

I'll keep everyone posted of dates and if anyone else can post Date of medical and date of response from DVLA that would help too.

Chin up peeps - it's not been an easy ride but every ride does have an ending.

ok so i had a call from the DVLA less than an hour ago ( i have an ongoing complaint which prompted the call) they told me :-
1) they have changed the blood testing service they use in my area and have run into some unexpected delays and whilst they would normally say blood tests will arrive within a couple of weeks they can't currently say this (i am in hampshire)
2) they said they hadn't received my medical report to which i said yes you have (i've seen faxed and email proof it was provided on the day of my medical) to which the replay was "oh i mean it hasn't been scanned onto the system yet. I asked what the time was to scan it onto the system and they said "around 10 days, it used to be around 5 days but we are dealing with a backlog".
3) i asked why seemingly all calls now seem to go to a "we are very busy so go away" recording (I've paraphrased to make a point!) and got the usual apology and a statement that they are prioritising older cases so have more people on post than phone.

So while i in no way wish to dampen spirits please do bear in mind that things are not happening quickly at the moment and from what i have read moral is at an absolute low at DVLA. We are all anxious to get some progress and we all have really pressing reasons for the DVLA to act quicker, but these human beings do seem to be trying to do what they can and are dealing with complaint after complaint. I was, apparently , her 27th outbound call of the day.

Just saying

Hi everyone, just a few days short of 12 months I've had my medical today. Former HRO and already had a 1 year licence, then driving under section 88 for 11 months, 3 weeks and 4 days (currently) and medical today 8th March, 2021.

Purpose of this thread is to address a much asked question - how long to get results back and how long before i know if i get a licence renewal or decline. Obviously this will vary on individual circumstances but as the DVLA have told me they are getting close to pre-covid processing capacity it might just provide some indicative timelines.

I'll keep everyone posted of dates and if anyone else can post Date of medical and date of response from DVLA that would help too.

Chin up peeps - it's not been an easy ride but every ride does have an ending.
HI IVE GOT
MEDICAL ON WENSDAY 17TH MARCH IM SURE I WILL PASS NOT HAD A DRINK FOR 2 MOUTHS NOW DOES ANYONE KNOE HOW LONG IT TAKES AFTER BLOOD TEST FOR DVLA TO SEND LICENCE BACK ONCE YOU PASS THE BLOOD TEST

It depends on the circumstances you were involved in.
a quick result Could be in 2-3 weeks but If your reading was very high, or it was a second conviction then you can expect that DVLA will write to your GP for any details on your medical history in the past 6 years. That can add several weeks to the process and sometimes drags in to months.......

a quick result Could be in 2-3 weeks but If your reading was very high, or it was a second conviction then you can expect that DVLA will write to your GP for any details on your medical history in the past 6 years. That can add several weeks to the process and sometimes drags in to months.......
NO I GOT STOP AND JUST REFUSSED TO BLOW AND GOT 14 MOUTHS BAN HRO I DONE THE NODDY CLASS FOR 3 DAYS NOW ITS THE BLOOD TEST

For a refusal it is quite likely that DVLA will want to check with your GP.
make sure that your answers on the medical questionnaire will not be proved wrong if they do check, otherwise it could take quite a while before you are driving.
If you are unsure you could ask your GP if you can review your file.

NO I GOT STOP AND JUST REFUSSED TO BLOW AND GOT 14 MOUTHS BAN HRO I DONE THE NODDY CLASS FOR 3 DAYS NOW ITS THE BLOOD TEST
@price 1367 - i really admire your restraint sir - "noddy" class indeed. If you can't learn something then you are doomed to repeat and fail. It's a class that many take as a carrot to reduce our sentence but one which educates and helps if you are willing to learn.

I got done for Dr30 and DVLA didn't write to my Docs, my blood test came back 0.5 tho

Hi all,
Can I ask I’m due my medical on 22/3 I’m classed as HRO, due to my readings being high, however I was not driving but still had my car keys in my hand, I was given a £700.00 fine no points and 30 months ban and dr30 if my cdt comes back normal what are the chances of them writing to my doctor?
Thanks

For a 30 month ban your reading must have been 120 or more. I think there is a very good chance they will write to your GP.

For a 30 month ban your reading must have been 120 or more. I think there is a very good chance they will write to your GP.
Thanks
I thought so I don’t actually remember what the reading was, I was arrested at the time in 20018 (June) but I was taken to court 2019 (April) I continued to drive through out this time. I was arrested for getting into to it with the police over my dog, and was unable to do community service hence the longer ban.
Other wise my ban would have been 20 months,
Thanks anyway

Hi Price

I can see you are an experienced poster. I wanted to query what you said about them asking your GP if your reading was "very high". By that do you mean like blowing over 100/110? By needing the DVLA medical the majority will have blown >88 to be classed as a HRO anyway. Surely most won't get asked for the GP. The experiences on this you have seen with other posters for would be really appreciated!

I just want to understand the average experience on whether GP contacted or not for someone like me who has been abstinent for months (and declares that and should get a low CDT level), no history of alcohol issues, and first offence just blew greater than 88 to be HRO (i blew 93).
Thanks!

I was thinking about 120 or more as an almost guarantee of the GP being consulted. That triggers 29-36 months and the possibility of prison so it is a serious offence.

I was thinking about 120 or more as an almost guarantee of the GP being consulted. That triggers 29-36 months and the possibility of prison so it is a serious offence.
Thanks for the reply. So based on what you have seen on the forum with other cases, what is your opinion on the liklihood of my GP being contacted based on no previous, I drink within safe levels and no prior alcohol issues. And blowing 93?

Thanks

Hard to say. Sometimes they just decide to contact your GP for no obvious reason.
A result for CDT under 1% in the medical reduces the chance that they will contact your GP, but maybe you are asking because there is something in your records that would raise concerns? If so, you are playing a risky game by not declaring them in the hope that your GP will be contacted. If that happens and you have declared on a legal form that you have no issues then it will cause a lot of problems and delays for you.

Hard to say. Sometimes they just decide to contact your GP for no obvious reason.
A result for CDT under 1% in the medical reduces the chance that they will contact your GP, but maybe you are asking because there is something in your records that would raise concerns? If so, you are playing a risky game by not declaring them in the hope that your GP will be contacted. If that happens and you have declared on a legal form that you have no issues then it will cause a lot of problems and delays for you.
Thanks for the reply. I have obtained my medical records and I have no history related to alcohol to speak of, so nothing to hide in any case. More querying as I have never met my GP. Indeed I never met my old GP, never had any medical issues to be honest! I changed GPs a year ago, so if it was triggered I would probably need to go and see them to introduce etc which would be frustrating.

If your CDT is low and the doctor says you are on the books but have not seen you in years, that will not be a problem.

Had a new 1 year licence issued 19th March following my medical on the 8th March. So the turnaround was a lot quicker. Just beginning to wonder how many "1 year licences" i'll get! Is this now 1 year renewable for life?

@price 1367 - i really admire your restraint sir - "noddy" class indeed. If you can't learn something then you are doomed to repeat and fail. It's a class that many take as a carrot to reduce our sentence but one which educates and helps if you are willing to learn.
I personally did not do the class as it my partner that was convicted .
However I looked thru the book and listened and learnt .
To be honest I think it should be taught in schools.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off