Hiring a Car

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jon1123

Hi,

Just looking for advice. I got stopped for drink driving back in early april. I havent heard anything since so waiting to be charged. In the meantime am I allowed to hire a car for travel in the UK? Was thinking of using one of the big well known companies. Any one had any issues?

Cheers

Hi,

Just looking for advice. I got stopped for drink driving back in early april. I havent heard anything since so waiting to be charged. In the meantime am I allowed to hire a car for travel in the UK? Was thinking of using one of the big well known companies. Any one had any issues?

Cheers
If you have not been to court and been found or pleaded guilty and banned, my understanding is that you still have a full licence so can hire a car.

Agree with Luna2000, there is nothing to disclose at the moment, just make sure there is nothing in the fine print for the insurance part of the hire about “pending prosecutions”. If there is not (and I doubt there will be) then you are fine.

I waited may until late October court Nov as delay with bloods - Pre covid !!!
That must have been painful! Based on that mine should come through early September and court in October 😬 did it arrive in a letter or they ring you?

That must have been painful! Based on that mine should come through early September and court in October 😬 did it arrive in a letter or they ring you?
A very thick letter white envelope in the post ! I had watched the post van drive up the road every day ! Started to get hopes up it was lost
Painful reading the police statement etc
The wait was awful sorry

i got a call 5 months and 2 weeks after the offence - as January said the wait was awful and i'd just started to think i might have got lucky when the cop called. a letter arrived a week later.

i got a call 5 months and 2 weeks after the offence - as January said the wait was awful and i'd just started to think i might have got lucky when the cop called. a letter arrived a week later.
They are basically adding an extra element of punishment by delaying it. Absolutely ridiculous!

They are basically adding an extra element of punishment by delaying it. Absolutely ridiculous!
I made a complaint over court & they said they would indicate the need to keep people posted of the process if a delay ! Clearly hasnt happened -

I made a complaint over court & they said they would indicate the need to keep people posted of the process if a delay ! Clearly hasnt happened -
Good idea. However I am not surprised they ignored it, they dont care about the general public, it has shown in the last 18 months

i have to agree. the near 6 month wait was torture and my mental health really suffered, every morning i'd wake up worrying in the small hours. the constant state of anxiety was debilitating.
i think they should have to charge you within say 2 months and not 6 for a straightforward blood test. if they can't get their acts together re testing that is not the defendant's fault. it's very cruel.
Or maybe reduce the final sentence to compensate. Someone caught and breath tested could be convicted and serve half their ban before someone with a blood test even makes it to court

Last edited:
i have to agree. the near 6 month wait was torture and my mental health really suffered, every morning i'd wake up worrying in the small hours. the constant state of anxiety was debilitating.
i think they should have to charge you within say 2 months and not 6 for a straightforward blood test. if they can't get their acts together re testing that is not the defendant's fault. it's very cruel.
Or maybe reduce the final sentence to compensate. Someone caught and breath tested could be convicted and serve half their ban before someone with a blood test even makes it to court
Yes you couldnt have said it better. By the time I get convicted I could be halfway through the punishment. Also blood is organic matter, how can I be sure of what they tell me the result was?

Yes you couldnt have said it better. By the time I get convicted I could be halfway through the punishment. Also blood is organic matter, how can I be sure of what they tell me the result was?
Why did you have to give blood ? Rather than breath? Sorry if it’s a daft question . Re the sample : do they not give the arrestee part of the sample for independent testing ?

Whatever the offence is, not just drink driving, the police have 6 months to commence proceedings. They are not going to reduce that just for drink driving involving a blood sample.
Some people have said how glad they were to continue driving pending conviction for various personal reasons,so for every person stressed by the wait, there are others who feel the opposite.
That is why the court are not going to give a discount on the ban because you have been waiting. How will they know which drivers are upset by the delay and which drivers are pleased?
The laboratory test the sample to be sure it is viable and if it fails their test then they will reject it. The lab is independent of the police.

Why did you have to give blood ? Rather than breath? Sorry if it’s a daft question . Re the sample : do they not give the arrestee part of the sample for independent testing ?
In my case faulty breath machine
Although yes you get a sample what as time goes on is you start to cling hold to the hope the police have lost the sample
Yes am empty hope but you know they have a time limit to lay charge as it gets nearer you get sadly more hopeful

Whatever the offence is, not just drink driving, the police have 6 months to commence proceedings. They are not going to reduce that just for drink driving involving a blood sample.
Some people have said how glad they were to continue driving pending conviction for various personal reasons,so for every person stressed by the wait, there are others who feel the opposite.
That is why the court are not going to give a discount on the ban because you have been waiting. How will they know which drivers are upset by the delay and which drivers are pleased?
The laboratory test the sample to be sure it is viable and if it fails their test then they will reject it. The lab is independent of the police.
When I raised it post court it was on the issue of communication so if you were under investigation you should get some communication this was ongoing after say 2 months - ideal world hey

I used to watch the post van arriving in my street when passed my house id breath then one day —

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off