Convicted Driver Insurance

Compare quotes from leading drink driver insurance specialists in the UK

Get Quotes

Study sponsored by Department of Transport looking for people who have been caught drink driving to take part in telephone interview. More details here.

DVLA Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: DVLA are only dealing with applications from those who are directly involved in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. They are unable to deal with any other applications until further notice. Click here for more information.

Got a court date for drink driving


New member
Hello, I have got to appear in court in April as I have been charged with drink driving. I was in a multi storey carpark and drove up a couple of floors before I realised that it was not a good idea to drive as I had been drinking. I parked my vehicle and rang for a taxi. I was actually in the back of the taxi when the police arrived (they saw me drive in the carpark on cctv) and breathalised me. I was over the limit so arrested and taken to the police station. I need to know how I get a duty solicitor as I cannot afford to pay for representation. Also what do you think will be the outcome at court as I will lose my job if I lose my licence. I will then also be homeless. I appreciate it is my own fault but ultimately I acted rationally by deciding not to drive and get a taxi. Thank you

Michael Lyon

Road Traffic Solicitor (Scotland)

Thank you for your post.

The duty solicitor will be available when you attend court in April; simply enquire at the front desk when you arrive and they will be able to advise further as to what happens from thereon in.

A conviction for drink driving carries a statutory minimum disqualification of 12 months. Any ban imposed can be reduced by up to 25% if you are certified by the Sheriff as suitable for the drink driver rehabilitation scheme, so the very shortest time you can spend off the road is 9 months.

You should speak with your solicitor and discuss your options.

Wishing you the best of luck,