Drunk driving released under investigation

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sean_0103

I was caught drink driving in December 2022, I had fled the scene only a few hundred yards before the police got me. I had crashed into 2 railings and when they bresthalised me I blew 98 and then they took me to hospital to take my bloods. After that I was taken to the station where they had then released me under investigation. It’s been nearly 16 months and I still haven’t heard anything. I was doing some research and found the blood results usually take between 8 weeks - 6 months to be given to the police. I’m in a constant feeling of anxiety not knowing what will happen. Can anyone help with this?

They have to commence proceedings within 6 months for DD. Sounds like you're fine.

Was drink driving the charge (ie nothing else)?

They have to commence proceedings within 6 months for DD. Sounds like you're fine.

Was drink driving the charge (ie nothing else)?
I was released under investigation and online it says they have no time limit when you’re released under investigation and I can’t really remember what the charges were but DD was definitely one of them and maybe reckless driving as well

I was 86 over the limit and got a 22 month ban. It was my first time. Not sure about your history but if it's your first time, they will ban and fine you. There is a chart in this forum on what to expect with your level of over the limit.

Yes, there is no time limit on the time of their investigation, unfortunately.

I was released under investigation and online it says they have no time limit when you’re released under investigation and I can’t really remember what the charges were but DD was definitely one of them and maybe reckless driving as well
It took 12 months for me from incident to receiving an initial court citation, the delays at the forensic laboratories that do the blood/urine analysis can be quite shocking.

Once the police have reported you to the CPS/Procurator Fiscal if you’re in Scotland, it’s my understanding there is no time limit. They quite often don’t advise you if they’re taking no further action either so may be worth asking them.

I'm not sure if the indefinite time limit of being released 'under investigation' or the 6 month time limit for summary offences takes precedence in this case.

I would expect you not to have been charged with anything if you were released 'under investigation', and then the 6 month limit to kick in after that if you were charged, but I'm not a lawyer.

Maybe ask the lawyer (Martin Hammond) on this site?

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off