Drink Driving Medical Confusion

Convicted Driver Insurance

99ariyaratnamj

Hi i wanted a bit of advice about the renewal of my licence after disqualification for drink driving. I was convicted on the 10/02/2009 my breath reading i was told was 95. I received a £300 fine and 28 month ban and a referal to the drink drivers rehab course to have my ban reduced to 21 months. I completed this course this time last year and I was told that when i reapply I would have to have a medical to get my licence back. I applied for my licence 2 weeks ago and it has already come through with the correct start date but no information about the medical. When i sent in the application I sent a copy of the rehab course completion certificate, the d1 form and even a cover note explaining about having to do the medical. I phoned the dvla today to check and they said the court hadn't given them a reading or the court didn't have the reading in the records or something so they treated it like a normal application (ie assuming the reading was under 87.5). They said they would contact the court and get back to my asap as to what to do with the licence and whether i have to have the medical. Does this mean it is likely I wont have to do the medical?
If you could let me know what you reckon will happen it will be appreciated because my life is on hold atm not knowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that you would probably have avoided a medical had you said nothing. However, now that the DVLA are aware of the high reading and are checking it with the court it is now likely you will be asked to undergo a medical afterall.

Strictly speaking, as your reading exceeded 87.5mg in breath you do fall within the "high risk offender" scheme and are therefore required to undergo a medical before your licence is returned.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off