Buying a cheap car before my no claims runs out before licence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hoppy123

As above, myself and quite a few people bought cars before we even had our provisional so we could be driving asap. Is there anything wrong with me getting a cheap £500 car now before my 2 years comings up and I lose my no claims bonus?

As above, myself and quite a few people bought cars before we even had our provisional so we could be driving asap. Is there anything wrong with me getting a cheap £500 car now before my 2 years comings up and I lose my no claims bonus?
As a disqualified driver, There is nothing to stop you from owning a car, but when you do this online many of them, before the policy is actually issued, require you to input your driving licence number and how long it lasts.... which of course you do not have.
You could try an insurance broker (the old fashioned way of insuring things!) to see if they can arrange cover for you, asking for ‘fire and theft only’ cover. They may be able to get round the licence issue.
This company Is generally very helpfull with unusual insurance requests:

The other thing they may help with is that there are a few insurance companies that will allow no claims from up to 3 years ago and they may be able to help with that as an alternative for when you can drive.

Hi Hoppy123, price1367 is absolutely correct you would be best to speak to a broker like Henshall's or ourselves as we are able to talk directly to insurers and explain the situation you have in more detail. The price of the car is not always a big rating factor these days as they can sometime think that if the car has no value then it is less likely to be looked after, which could lead to more accidents etc. Either way worth getting some 'dummy' quotes from a broker and some advice to help out as price1367 has suggested (y)

If you are looking to get a car to insure while you are still banned you are going to get nowhere. You need to have a valid driving licence to obtain insurance. If you are saying you are getting a car so that on day of your ban being up you can get the insurance in place then that is different.

If you are looking to get a car to insure while you are still banned you are going to get nowhere. You need to have a valid driving licence to obtain insurance. If you are saying you are getting a car so that on day of your ban being up you can get the insurance in place then that is different.

Im getting it so my full of no claims bonus does not disappear as after 2 years it does. No intention of driving.

Im getting it so my full of no claims bonus does not disappear as after 2 years it does. No intention of driving.
I don’t think BigTop thought you were going to drive, just that the insurance company would want to have your driving licence details as a part of The process of insuring the car. Speak to a broker as I advised, Henshalls or a-plan on here.

I don’t think BigTop thought you were going to drive, just that the insurance company would want to have your driving licence details as a part of The process of insuring the car. Speak to a broker as I advised, Henshalls or a-plan on here.

Going to drive?! I would of done so by nw without insurance if I really wanted to!

Last edited:
That seems a good price, but You may need to check what the position will be if your ban is up during the 12 month policy because my understanding is that NFU will not provide cover for someone with a drink drive ban for 5 years So you would not be able to be added As a driver on your policy.

John is right, that does sound like a good price, but worth checking out as he has said. Last thing you want is to save your NCB but then have to pay a big cancellation fee midway through as would put you back to square one. Feel free to contact us if you are still looking to review (y)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off