Blew 111mg, Need some advice please

Convicted Driver Insurance

ajw88

I was arrested last friday a minute from my house at around 2am, I was taken into custody and blew 111mg which I now understand is very high. From reading previous threads I am expecting a ban of between 23 - 28 months and a community order. I am extremely remorseful for what I did. I now need some advice on what to do in court, would it be best to get character references? Write an apology letter? Would it be better to get a solicitor (of which I'm certain I will not be able to afford)?

I understand my fate but would obviously like to get the best possible outcome. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there!

I got banned on the 24th of November this year.

I blew almost the same as you except a bit higher - 113mg.

Cut a long story short... I'd been to a party and had a very heavy drinking session. I had about half an hours sleep at some point, then woke up and (stupidly) carried on drinking. I decided at about 11am I just wanted to get home to bed and to (even more stupidly) pick up some cigs from the garage on the way home. I stopped at the garage and someone phoned the police while I was there and the police tugged me on the way out...

I blew 113mg and also had 2 packets of cocaine on me, which didn't go down well...

However, I was very polite and cooperative with the whole investigation, had no points on my licence, no previous convictions and was very distressed and ashamed about the whole thing.

The bad things were obviously how high the reading was, the drugs, and the fact I was so far over the limit in the middle of the day where there were lots of people around, so this looked TERRIBLE!

I got a 26 month ban, (reduced to 19 with the course) community service, which is a 14 week program to study what effects alcohol has on driving and yourself, 12 months supervision and an £85 court cost fine.

You should dress smartly for going to court (Suit and smart shoes)... Be polite to EVERYONE especially in the court room... Make sure the duty soliciter (if you're not paying for your own - I didn't) knows how guilty you feel because that will get mentioned in court and it can only go down well... A letter of apology and character references would be a good idea! I didn't have either, but it would be ideal to have something to say you're of good character! Keep saying how sorry you are - make sure they know you know you've done wrong...

Good luck and let me know how you get on! :)

I was arrested last friday a minute from my house at around 2am, I was taken into custody and blew 111mg which I now understand is very high. From reading previous threads I am expecting a ban of between 23 - 28 months and a community order. I am extremely remorseful for what I did. I now need some advice on what to do in court, would it be best to get character references? Write an apology letter? Would it be better to get a solicitor (of which I'm certain I will not be able to afford)?

I understand my fate but would obviously like to get the best possible outcome. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You are correct, upon a first conviction of driving with excess alcohol with a breath reading of 111 sentencing guidelines suggest a low to high level community order and a driving disqualification of between 23 & 28 months.

First time offenders are usually offered the chance to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. Completing this course can reduce any period of disqualification imposed by up to 25%.

As the level of alcohol in your system was high you will be classed as a high risk offender. This means you will need to satisfy the DVLA of your fitness to drive by attending a DVLA medical before your driving licence will be returned to you.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you.

Getting a character ref and writing an apology letter would all help you but are not essential.

I blew 110, represented myself, did not have any of the above, I just expressed how sorry I was and that I had been having personal issues at the time which lead me to drink so much. I said I would like to do the rehab course and I would never do it again. I didn't have any previous convictions, dressed smartly and was respectful at all times.

I got 24 mth ban reduced to 18 mth with course, £85 fine, 40 hrs community service which I did in a charity shop.

Good luck

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off