12 months temporary licence is up

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jamdpa

Well Known Member
Hi one and all back again .. I see many of you are still here .. hope your all keeping well and safe . Anyways I'm after some info-help if anyone can oblige ..
My 12 month temporary licence has now expired .. the 12 weeks my reapplication has been with the DVLA they have pretty much managed to achieve nothing within that 12 weeks .. so the answer I was given when asking for a timescale was "indefinite" usual helpful answers .. anyways I'm aware I'm still allowed to drive if I meet the criteria (which I do) my issues are I have chance of a job (which requires driving ) they won't accept my licence as it's showing expired .. which is there entitlement to do so .. let's face is many millions looking for work . So has anyone been in the process of an application after a 12 month and if so how long did you wait and what was the process . ? The last update I had was thy had written to my Doctor's 7 days ago .. I don't drink anymore I have not seen the doctor .. I was hoping they would just issues another licence .. but it appears that's not going to be the case .. I can't go through another 7 month ordeal .. (that was pre covid) so I'm guessing this is going to be even a longer hail

Hi one and all back again .. I see many of you are still here .. hope your all keeping well and safe . Anyways I'm after some info-help if anyone can oblige ..
My 12 month temporary licence has now expired .. the 12 weeks my reapplication has been with the DVLA they have pretty much managed to achieve nothing within that 12 weeks .. so the answer I was given when asking for a timescale was "indefinite" usual helpful answers .. anyways I'm aware I'm still allowed to drive if I meet the criteria (which I do) my issues are I have chance of a job (which requires driving ) they won't accept my licence as it's showing expired .. which is there entitlement to do so .. let's face is many millions looking for work . So has anyone been in the process of an application after a 12 month and if so how long did you wait and what was the process . ? The last update I had was thy had written to my Doctor's 7 days ago .. I don't drink anymore I have not seen the doctor .. I was hoping they would just issues another licence .. but it appears that's not going to be the case .. I can't go through another 7 month ordeal .. (that was pre covid) so I'm guessing this is going to be even a longer hail
Hi Kampala my temp licence expires end of jan i know its 3 months away yet but with the usual backlog and covid plus the Christmas break who knows I also waited 7 months last time around, so like you any clues would be much appreciated feel like this is hanging over my head .

I'm also HRO and on an annual renewal for a temporary licence. I met the criteria to drive under S.88 but for various reasons proactively pushed to move my application along. This is my timeline, hope it offers some clarity.

1/7/20 - Licence end date.
1/6/20 - Posted application D42, DR1, D797m. Also an LFT result (just because I had one for another matter, I'm not required to send them in but thought it may help. I'm regarded as Misuse not Dependent).
14/6/20 - Application scanned on system. Checked with my GP I could continue driving under S.88 and ensured it was on file.
25/6/20 - DVLA wrote to my GP for report. I chased GP up to complete and return form. (Checked GP who knows me filled in form).
21/7/20 - DVLA confirm they have GP report scanned on system.
Then a big wait apparently whilst it was in medical review team queue, until -
25/8/20 - DVLA letter stating I must have a medical but due to Covid none are being arranged.
18/9/20 - I phoned DVLA told them a surgery near me is conducting DVLA medicals. They were surprised but agreed to send this info to the department which arranges medicals and have my paperwork sent to my chosen surgery. (There are lists on this forum of DVLA surgeries, it is a case of finding a relevant one and then giving this info to DVLA).
28/9/20 - My chosen surgery received my paperwork. Medical booked.
30/9/20 - Medical took place (so only 2 days from booking to medical. Surgery had loads of appointment choices).
6/10/20 - DVLA GP medical report scanned on system but big delay with blood results to come back from laboratory and then be scanned.
20/10/20 - Blood results back from lab but will take another 5/6 days to be scanned on system.
27/10/20 - (Today) Online 'Driving Licence Check' showing new licence issued. Requested a copy of my CDT results also.

So 4 months start to finish but everyone's case is different. Interestingly, it has taken the same length of time the last two annual reviews I have done. I've tried to highlight the waiting times in between communications and when I chased things up. I keep a note of when I phone them and the result of the call, so I keep on top of the process. Also when I phone I catch their name when they say it and take a really polite approach with the call handlers. I have found it goes a long way and prevented me feeling frustrated with the delays. Photocopy or photograph and forms/questionnaires you send into them so you remember your answers from previous years, if they are checking for 3/6 years it can be difficult to remember all the details. Good luck

I'm also HRO and on an annual renewal for a temporary licence. I met the criteria to drive under S.88 but for various reasons proactively pushed to move my application along. This is my timeline, hope it offers some clarity.

1/6/20 - Posted application D42, DR1, D797m. Also an LFT result (just because I had one for another matter, I'm not required to send them in but thought it may help. I'm regarded as Misuse not Dependent).
14/6/20 - Application scanned on system. Checked with my GP I could continue driving under S.88 and ensured it was on file.
25/6/20 - DVLA wrote to my GP for report. I chased GP up to complete and return form. (Checked GP who knows me filled in form).
25/8/20 - DVLA letter stating I must have a medical but due to Covid none are being arranged.
18/9/20 - I phoned DVLA told them a surgery near me is conducting DVLA medicals. They were surprised but agreed to send this info to the department which arranges medicals and have my paperwork sent to my chosen surgery. (There are lists on this forum of DVLA surgeries, it is a case of finding a relevant one and then giving this info to DVLA).
30/9/20 - Medical took place (so only 2 days from booking to medical. Surgery had loads of appointment choices).
6/10/20 - DVLA GP medical report scanned on system but big delay with blood results to come back from laboratory and then be scanned.
20/10/20 - Blood results back from lab but will take another 5/6 days to be scanned on system.
27/10/20 - (Today) Online 'Driving Licence Check' showing new licence issued. Requested a copy of my CDT results also.

So 4 months start to finish but everyone's case is different. Interestingly, it has taken the same length of time the last two annual reviews I have done. I've tried to highlight the waiting times in between communications and when I chased things up. I keep a note of when I phone them and the result of the call, so I keep on top of the process. Also when I phone I catch their name when they say it and take a really polite approach with the call handlers. I have found it goes a long way and prevented me feeling frustrated with the delays. Photocopy or photograph and forms/questionnaires you send into them so you remember your answers from previous years, if they are checking for 3/6 years it can be difficult to remember all the details. Good luck
Thanks for the reply and info .. it's disgusting what they do and how it is run . If they were a business they would be bust due to the timescales they run on . We all paid the price with our licence and some with there liberty also .. it's purposely done to frustrate and drag out the ordeal .. it's deliberate victimisation in my book .. there is no need (especially with covid ) for anything to be posted (that just drags it out and also creates paper that people have handled and licked etc ) in this day and age it should be all be possible via email etc totally contactless (unless a medical is required) but that would massively speed up the process . I'm frustrated already as I know it's going to be months and months

Hi Kampala my temp licence expires end of jan i know its 3 months away yet but with the usual backlog and covid plus the Christmas break who knows I also waited 7 months last time around, so like you any clues would be much appreciated feel like this is hanging over my head .
Prepare for a long haul experience 😰😰 I have had a lot of dealing over many years and lots of issues with them .. stay positive

Prepare for a long haul experience 😰😰 I have had a lot of dealing over many years and lots of issues with them .. stay positive
Thanks jampda at least I should still be able to drive under s88, did you call dvla to ask if you can continue to drive or your gp or both need to know if its gonna be a long process which it looks like it will be. Thanks.

Om you note re the medical review team and the entire medical department .. not 1 person has any medical training in anyway shape or form. I established that 18 months ago .. I asked on what basis they were deemed to be able to make medical decisions if that was the case .. to which I was totally fobbed off .. I caught them lying (withholding the truth ) 3 Times over the 7 months it took last time .. like yourself I kept ana indepth record of everything re information letters dates times names etc . I also found that useful as I had my notes ready and Infront of me to refer to which I did often. And when I pulled them on discrepancies etc (lies ) I was was told you have been "misinformed " 🤔🤣 .. it seems I will be having to do the same again as I just assumed that after the 12 months it would just role through the system with no issues .. how wrong was I. 🤔

Thanks jampda at least I should still be able to drive under s88, did you call dvla to ask if you can continue to drive or your gp or both need to know if its gonna be a long process which it looks like it will be. Thanks.
I call the DVLA that often they are in "my favourites" that my mobile automatically stores 🤣. Yes I spoke to them about 4 weeks ago when my licence expired about the S88. . they are very vague about it though .. they will email you the full details of S88 if you ask them too . I personally think if you got a real jobs worth copper it has loop holes for a prosecution and possibly loosing ones car .. but I maybe wrong .. I didn't speak to my Doctor's at all until last week as I wasn't aware that they would be writing out to them again .. they confirmed the sent it back to them on the 19th of this month .. surprisingly the DVLA have not got it or not got it scanned on to the system yet .. utter joke .. you can also if you push them (the DVLA ) get them to email your doctor and you doctor can email them to try speed it up (but they won't tell you that ) you have to request it

I call the DVLA that often they are in "my favourites" that my mobile automatically stores 🤣. Yes I spoke to them about 4 weeks ago when my licence expired about the S88. . they are very vague about it though .. they will email you the full details of S88 if you ask them too . I personally think if you got a real jobs worth copper it has loop holes for a prosecution and possibly loosing ones car .. but I maybe wrong .. I didn't speak to my Doctor's at all until last week as I wasn't aware that they would be writing out to them again .. they confirmed the sent it back to them on the 19th of this month .. surprisingly the DVLA have not got it or not got it scanned on to the system yet .. utter joke .. you can also if you push them (the DVLA ) get them to email your doctor and you doctor can email them to try speed it up (but they won't tell you that ) you have to request it
Thanks jampda I'll do that i know what you mean about the phone I found constantly chasing up the process totally frustrating to the point I wanted to cry.All the best with your progress keep us updated ill be following closely 😁

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off