DVLA medical urine test (thc)

Convicted Driver Insurance

Mike1993

Hi I applied for my licence April 2021 after been revoked 6 monthes for cannabis use. A letter arrived from dvla medical group on the 31st December 8 monthes later. Problem is I never actually thought they were going to bother getting back to me I couldn’t get ahold of them for 5 monthes straight while I was off cannabis and clean and in the end ended up relapsing I’ve been smoking again for a good few monthes I figured I stop after the new year and detox again in time but the letter has caught me off guard. Does anybody know the time frames roughly from when there first letter is sent out to when I have to take a urine test? I’m an idiot I know and I’ve made a stupid decision. Any help is much appreciated thanks.

They allow a maximum of 12 weeks from the date of the letter, but you have to watch out that you do not get caught up with delays in getting an appointment that then runs you out of time.
Perhaps enquire with the nominated doctor’s office to find out how much delay they have in offering a booking.

They allow a maximum of 12 weeks from the date of the letter, but you have to watch out that you do not get caught up with delays in getting an appointment that then runs you out of time.
Perhaps enquire with the nominated doctor’s office to find out how much delay they have in offering a booking.
Mikeypoko.
From reading your other post here you received the medical forms and NOT the actual letter to attend the medical.
Expect to possibly be above DVLA cannabis testing level of 15ng for 120 days or thereabouts - possibly less if you are young, have a fast metabolism and eat well with a pretty much fat free diet.
Even though your body had previously cleansed itself after 5 months abstinence you have been smoking for quite a few months and it is in every part of your body fat again.
Hopefully for you as a direct result of the delays your recent application will take months before you hear anything and you will be absolutely fine.
Staying smoke free is the key as well as diet. Exercise helps also but not near the time of a medical as this will release stored thc.
I think you will be fine and try not to worry. You stayed off it 5 months so can easily do it again.
If you can afford to you can buy urine test strips with varying test levels - from 300ng all the way down to 15ng and test yourself monthly to see your progress.
Thc has a half life in the body of around 5 to 13 days and is expelled through urine and faeces - up to around 35% in urine and 65% or so in faeces, that is one of the reasons why diet is important.
PM me if you wish about urine tests etc.
NileR

Mikeypoko.
From reading your other post here you received the medical forms and NOT the actual letter to attend the medical.
Expect to possibly be above DVLA cannabis testing level of 15ng for 120 days or thereabouts - possibly less if you are young, have a fast metabolism and eat well with a pretty much fat free diet.
Even though your body had previously cleansed itself after 5 months abstinence you have been smoking for quite a few months and it is in every part of your body fat again.
Hopefully for you as a direct result of the delays your recent application will take months before you hear anything and you will be absolutely fine.
Staying smoke free is the key as well as diet. Exercise helps also but not near the time of a medical as this will release stored thc.
I think you will be fine and try not to worry. You stayed off it 5 months so can easily do it again.
If you can afford to you can buy urine test strips with varying test levels - from 300ng all the way down to 15ng and test yourself monthly to see your progress.
Thc has a half life in the body of around 5 to 13 days and is expelled through urine and faeces - up to around 35% in urine and 65% or so in faeces, that is one of the reasons why diet is important.
NileR

Mikeypoko.
NileR
Thanks great info there. I have been off it for 7 days now and yeah I’m 28 and on a crazy diet just now fruit veg and lean meats no junk lots of water and cycling 20 miles a day aswell as in the gym every day or 2. Last time I detoxed I used 20ng tests I got off eBay and I was showing negative after 6 weeks I think. My main fear was that after sending that recent questionnaire away that they would have a letter sent out the following week with a date for a medical but maybe that is too much to expect from them that quick I do pray it takes them ages to get back to me again haha

Thanks great info there. I have been off it for 7 days now and yeah I’m 28 and on a crazy diet just now fruit veg and lean meats no junk lots of water and cycling 20 miles a day aswell as in the gym every day or 2. Last time I detoxed I used 20ng tests I got off eBay and I was showing negative after 6 weeks I think. My main fear was that after sending that recent questionnaire away that they would have a letter sent out the following week with a date for a medical but maybe that is too much to expect from them that quick I do pray it takes them ages to get back to me again haha
You are doing the exactly right thing in terms of diet and exercise.Lean meat, fruit and veg is exactly what you need. Minimize carbs if you can.
You need to be careful not to overdo the amount of water.
If you are also defecating daily that is good. If you are concerned about this or wish to release more thc you could try two cups only if prune juice per day but you need to be near a toilet and have loads of roll bought in. You really should not need this though if eating well.
If you tested down to 20ng after only 6 weeks then that is fantastic.
However, I tried ebay 20ng tests and they were not accurate at all though I know there are lots of manufacturers.
Which brand did you try, remember??
As they are cheap I would try a few brands to see if you pass on all of them.
The best I found is U-Test and they do all the way down to 15ng though I had to buy the 15ng from their website and they are based in USA.Their other ones are available here and they are cheap.
I'm sure that their 20ng tests can be bought here easily, try Amazon from memory as they were available there.
If you pass at 20 after 6 weeks then you will have no issues at 15ng a month later, given the whole half life and your diet etc.
Remember though DVLA do not use urine tests they use GCMS tests at a laboratory which are much much more accurate.
That is why I would use U-Test and even buy the 15ng ones from America.
Even without the delays you would probably been fine to be honest but you don't know with DVLA, I was also expecting a letter everyday but it took several months. The thing is that you can't rely on a delay, for all you know they might just send you a letter the next week, hence the stress and panic. And that was without the delays and pre Covid.

Last edited:
I believe I have already told you on the other post, but be prepared for a brutal wait, I admitted to using 1-2 benzos while banned which were my previous prescription, and the ordered a urine test which they still haven't got the results 6 months later. Keep us updated.

I believe I have already told you on the other post, but be prepared for a brutal wait, I admitted to using 1-2 benzos while banned which were my previous prescription, and the ordered a urine test which they still haven't got the results 6 months later. Keep us updated.
Yeah, the wait is brutal as you say.
Pre Covid the usual time was up to 21 days for the results, added to system and licence issue. I think my result was 3 days and it had been added also.

You are doing the exactly right thing in terms of diet and exercise.Lean meat, fruit and veg is exactly what you need. Minimize carbs if you can.
If you are also defecating daily that is good. If you are concerned about this or wish to release more thc you could try two cups only if prune juice per day but you need to be near a toilet and have loads of roll bought in. You really should not need this though if eating well.
However, I tried ebay 20ng tests and they were not accurate at all though I know there are lots of manufacturers.
The best I found is U-Test and they do all the way down to 15ng though I had to buy the 15ng from their website and they are based in USA.Their other ones are available here and they are cheap.
I'm sure that their 20ng tests can be bought here easily, try Amazon from memory as they were available there.
If you pass at 20 after 6 weeks then you will have no issues at 15ng a month later, given the whole half life and your diet etc.
Remember though DVLA do not use urine tests they use GCMS tests at a laboratory which are much much more accurate.
Even without the delays you would probably been fine to be honest but you don't know with DVLA, I was also expecting a letter everyday but it took several months. The thing is that you can't rely on a delay, for all you know they might just send you a letter the next week, hence the stress and panic. And that was without the delays and pre Covid.
The brand of the tests I’m using are one +
the tests I’m using are called one step thc tests there available on eBay. I’ll probably give those ones you suggested a go too. I’m even prepared to send a sample to be actual lab tested shortly before my test just for that peace of mind

It’s the amount of time between me sending my DR1 form to dvla medical to them replying telling me to book a medical I’m more worried about especially if there is a 6 month + wait after that it would suck to wait that long to fail to be revoked a further 6 monthes to have to go through all this again

It’s the amount of time between me sending my DR1 form to dvla medical to them replying telling me to book a medical I’m more worried about especially if there is a 6 month + wait after that it would suck to wait that long to fail to be revoked a further 6 monthes to have to go through all this again
If you want to drive you gotta stop using weed, plain and simple. I know of some people who have repeat offended with weed and had a 5 year ban due to how many times they have been road side drug tested

The brand of the tests I’m using are one +

the tests I’m using are called one step thc tests there available on eBay. I’ll probably give those ones you suggested a go too. I’m even prepared to send a sample to be actual lab tested shortly before my test just for that peace of mind
Yeah, I used them.From memory I did not find these accurate and I've still got about a dozen I didn't use as a result of that.I've just checked to be sure.
In terms of paying for a lab test you will pay around £120 and I do not think you will find one that tests under 15ng which is the DVLA testing level apparently. This is also the level set for railway workers, safety workers etc.
I called around a few testers, even the national ones and none of these could test below 15ng.This seems to be the standard for the types of places I named above.
If you have been testing yourself every two weeks and are sure you have passed at 15ng via a dipstick test I'm sure you will be fine.What you really need us for your DVLA test to take place several weeks after you pass at 15ng to give you peace of mind.
It's totally up to you of course.
Just don't smoke, not even one joint.
You can do it.
Stay away from those if they try and tempt you or you are tempted. If they try and tempt you and know your circumstances then they are clearly not your friends to be honest.
It's either a licence or dope.

Last edited:
Just a we update, 16 monthes after applying for my licence I have finally received a letter to book a medical

Hi guys,

I recently had my urine test with the DVLA. I smoked prior for about 5 - 6months, around twice a day. I was very athletic during these 5 - 6 running 5KM every 2days and attending boxing classes regularly. I stopped smoking for 2months an 2weeks (75days).

I am a 28 year old male with a low metabolism, fit an healthy and upped my water intake as soon as I new the test was coming up, so from week one.

On day 5 of no weed i tested myself with a 50MG home urine test kit and failed. I know this was too early however I just wanted to see if the test was working.

But week 8 I had bought 15MG test kits online and passed all 5. I went into the test feeling comfortable, but there was still a little doubt. Maybe just my anxiety kicking in or me looking for a piece of mind. I have spoken to speak to Frank and many other cannabis advice lines an they think from what I've told them I would pass. But of course they are saying don't take there word for it which is understandable.

Initially, I made this post just to find out what the cut off level for THC is when doing the urine medical test for the DVLA? DVLA would not tell me this information an neither would the laboratory that they use (SYNLAB).

I have been told the cut off level is 5MG, 10MG, 2MG & 15MG.

Could someone please confirm and contact me asap.

sclachar94@hotmail.co.uk

07306 168869

Hi guys,

I recently had my urine test with the DVLA. I smoked prior for about 5 - 6months, around twice a day. I was very athletic during these 5 - 6 running 5KM every 2days and attending boxing classes regularly. I stopped smoking for 2months an 2weeks (75days).

I am a 28 year old male with a low metabolism, fit an healthy and upped my water intake as soon as I new the test was coming up, so from week one.

On day 5 of no weed i tested myself with a 50MG home urine test kit and failed. I know this was too early however I just wanted to see if the test was working.

But week 8 I had bought 15MG test kits online and passed all 5. I went into the test feeling comfortable, but there was still a little doubt. Maybe just my anxiety kicking in or me looking for a piece of mind. I have spoken to speak to Frank and many other cannabis advice lines an they think from what I've told them I would pass. But of course they are saying don't take there word for it which is understandable.

Initially, I made this post just to find out what the cut off level for THC is when doing the urine medical test for the DVLA? DVLA would not tell me this information an neither would the laboratory that they use (SYNLAB).

I have been told the cut off level is 5MG, 10MG, 2MG & 15MG.

Could someone please confirm and contact me asap.

sclachar94@hotmail.co.uk

07306 168869
Pretty much in exact situation as you. I’m 28 and have stopped smoking for 3 monthes too. From what I’ve heard from lots of others on here is the cut off is 15ng. I was passing 20ng tests consistently after just 4 weeks but I had only smoked 3 joints maybe after 6 monthes abstinence but who knows. There really is no answer to how long thc stays in the body

They have no said they need to speak my GP.. AFTER DOING A URINE TEST AND WAITING 3MONTHS.. I don't kno what to expect.. it's just upsetting and has me feeling so anxious

and the ordered a urine test which they still haven't got the results 6 months later
I hope that's not the current wait time! I'm waiting for my psychiatrist to come back from sickness to write a letter to the DVLA confirming that there are no problems with my fitness to drive. The only issue I have is that in his summary letters to my GP he states that I have a history of polysubstance abuse (I told him I used speed, cannabis and LSD in my late teens and early 20's, I'm now 46) but doesn't clarify when this was other than in another report buried away in my file. My GP, when filling out the DVLA form that resulted in my licence revocation, ticked the box for drug misuse in the last three years because she based it on the psychiatrist's report that lacked context. She's since written a letter explaining her error but told me to expect to do a drugs test for the DVLA. I have no issue with doing one, I haven't taken drugs for over 20 years but I do have an issue if it's going to take 6 months for a result!!!

Hi I applied for my licence April 2021 after been revoked 6 monthes for cannabis use. A letter arrived from dvla medical group on the 31st December 8 monthes later. Problem is I never actually thought they were going to bother getting back to me I couldn’t get ahold of them for 5 monthes straight while I was off cannabis and clean and in the end ended up relapsing I’ve been smoking again for a good few monthes I figured I stop after the new year and detox again in time but the letter has caught me off guard. Does anybody know the time frames roughly from when there first letter is sent out to when I have to take a urine test? I’m an idiot I know and I’ve made a stupid decision. Any help is much appreciated thanks.

I’m not too sure.. if it helps I smoked a gram every 2-3 days for years with no brakes longer than 3 days..

I stopped smoking for 75 days and passed the urine test..

Back bareee water truss me.. an I also looked for a blood cleanser and passed

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off