Written to my GP.. Medical records haven't arrived.

Convicted Driver Insurance

ManTank

Well Known Member
Afternoon all,

Whilst I am happy to post my whole experience for those that would like to know/find it pertinent, I will keep it short..

I had my medical last Thursday (abstained for 2 weeks, wasn't heavy drinker prior to that, medichecks result 1%), called on Tuesday to see if they had received the forms etc. and was informed by telephone that DVLA are writing to my GP for further information. The issue I have is that my medical records are still being transferred and still haven't arrived at my new practice.

Will my GP need to wait until my medical records have arrived before being able to fill in the questionnaire? Every time I call the practice they give me the standard 'it can take up to 6 months for them to arrive'.

My ban was up on 22nd August after a 42 month ban so as you can imagine, I am itching to get behind the wheel and would rather not wait up to 6 months!

Hi ManTalk
That's Bshit timescale 6mths (don't accept secretarial crap), personally I would walk into the OLD&NEW clinic and explain the gravity of your situation sometimes it works I always find face to face quickens things up especially when they can see my Pi##ed off look

Last edited:
Hi ManTalk
That's Bshit timescale 6mths , personally I would walk into the OLD&NEW clinic and explain the gravity of your situation sometimes it works I always find face to face quickens things up especially when they can see my Pi##ed off look

Oh I know!! Issue is that they don't actually know where my records are! I have been into the practice a few times now.. last time they said that even if my records were there, I'd still have to wait 4 weeks to get an appointment to discuss the form with my GP anyway.

As an aside, I did phone DVLA to explain that my GP wouldn't be willing to fill out the questionnaire without my records (rightly so), and that it could be months before they arrive. I explained that I had put the most harmful information on the DR1 form and the same form the DVLA appointed Dr and I am more than confident that the same information would be provided by my GP. June 2018 I had sleep issues, mild depression and night time anxiety - all temporary. One course of anti depressants which just made things worse so went down the self help route and no issues since.

I asked whether I could be issued with just a temporary licence (1 year) on the basis that my CDT result was good, which I know it would have been as it was 3 weeks from my medicheck test to the DVLA medical. If my GP then returns the form with some questionable information, they could just then revoke my licence. The lady has put this on my record and sent back to the medical team to review as a priority so whilst I'm not holding out too much hope, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Will report back when I hear something.

Well not knowing where your medical records are isn't good enough! They are supposed to be professional body, having heard more information request there complaints procedures

So, my medical records arrived, however my GP wants to see me before anything which kinda makes sense. That being said I got a letter from DVLA asking me to have a medical with my own GP. Has anyone else experienced this?

DVLA also asked me to fill in an M1 form... A form I had already sent in with the DR1 form. I was trying to get ahead of the game. They seem to have scanned both forms in as one.

The saga continues.

Well that's something so very new the DVLA requested you to attend NEW GP!
Are they that stupid you notes from previous clinic would give history I shakes my head they have lost the plot!
M1 form basically means you do there work for them! It's a medical form much deeper than Dr1 bunch of headless horseman

Last edited:
Well that's something so very new the DVLA requested you to attend NEW GP!
Are they that stupid you notes from previous clinic would give history I shakes my head they have lost the plot!

The letter requested that I attend a medical which made me see red but then when looking who is was with, its with my new GP. Honestly, you can't make it up. Seems totally bonkers to me.. I understand my GP wanting to see me before replying as I've only been to the doctors once in the last three years but a whole medical with him? God only knows what DVLA think and I'm not entirely sure what they think my own GP will discover that they don't already know!

Called DVLA and the reason for it is because my own GP requested the medical before filling in the form.

It's the 3 year thing , you need GP history if your HRO, this basically happened with the Glasgow bin lorry incident (Google it) Prior to this I have a letter from DVLA that stated you GP cannot have any impact on your licence!
However now there shoulders have slunk a bit and your GP will make the difference attaining your licence

They have my medical files which shows my last appointment plus the medication I was on. There isn't any other history to mention. This medical won't show anytning different to the DVLA one and the answers will be the same as previous ones as I've nothing to hide or lie about.

I understand that they're all about making the roads safer and a process is in place to ensure that but knowing what I know, it's damn frustrating as my ban was up 22nd August and I'm paying a fortune in train/taxi fares to look after my ill parents.

Just a victim of the process I guess.

Called DVLA and the reason for it is because my own GP requested the medical before filling in the form.
The DVLA are habitual liars .. they withhold the truth and purposely un-assist you rather than assist you with you application .. take anything they say with a pinch of salt and keep all over them and tell them you are keeping a record of every conversation and dates and times etc

Just had my appointment. Apparently I saw a doctor in April of last year saying I was misusing alcohol. This is not the case - I went for mild depression which I have mentioned above and on my forms back to dvla. The doctor I have just seen quite rightly (I guess) had to tick yes to misuse in the last three years. All other questions was ticked no (such as misuse in the last 12 months).

Does anyone know what the DVLA might decide?! I am fearing another 6 months being added onto my ban. Doctor seems to think I'll have no real issues.

Just had my appointment. Apparently I saw a doctor in April of last year saying I was misusing alcohol. This is not the case - I went for mild depression which I have mentioned above and on my forms back to dvla. The doctor I have just seen quite rightly (I guess) had to tick yes to misuse in the last three years. All other questions was ticked no (such as misuse in the last 12 months).

Does anyone know what the DVLA might decide?! I am fearing another 6 months being added onto my ban. Doctor seems to think I'll have no real issues.
I tell you what mate through my experience .looks like were in a lottery one person says one thing ,and another says different ,there just there to give us more worry

Just got home to find that dvla have responded to my SAR request and my Cdt levels were 1.0%. I'm seriously hoping that I at least get a 1 year licence. I honestly can't wait another 6 months!

Just got home to find that dvla have responded to my SAR request and my Cdt levels were 1.0%. I'm seriously hoping that I at least get a 1 year licence. I honestly can't wait another 6 months!
You should get a 12 month DL worse case .. if so you can appeal .. I don't recommend doing that ..

You should get a 12 month DL worse case .. if so you can appeal .. I don't recommend doing that ..

Thanks for that! I just remember seeing misuse as a further 6 months and it's been stuck in my mind. It was 17 months ago now and haven't 'misused' since!

They did take my blood pressure which was 172/102 so that needs checking ?. Only positive (positive or negative?!) thing to come from the appointment.. Needs checking!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off