Work medical has referred me to psychiatrist to check alcohol dependance - will I lose my license?

Convicted Driver Insurance

TMD

In my annual work medical I truthfully said how much alcohol I drink - I only drink Friday nights, Saturday night and Sunday lunchtime - very rarely mid week. But it is well above the 14 units guidelines. The doctor recommended I take a liver function test and suggested I see a psychiatrist to talk about alcohol - I thought it would be interesting to explore and agreed.

It was only then that she said I was now legally obliged to tell the DVLA I was alcohol dependant and now I am worried I will have my license suspended! I have never drunk driven - I haven't even owned a car in 10 years. But I do hire a car a few times year - on those occasions I don't drink for at least 24 hours before driving. Is this right?

Has anybody else experienced this? Thanks

Yes!
If your drinking pattern regularly exceeds 14 units per week it's highly likely the dvla will revoke your licence regardless how often you drive,
If they regard you low to mid dependency you will be required to abstain alcohol for 1 full year backed up with evidence from your GP which includes liver function tests approx 4 over the year,
However if your classed high dependancy it's abstinance for life! and much tougher getting away from the 1 year temperory licence if & when you regain the licence

Your best bet at this momment if they are definitely contacting the DVLA is make an appointment with your own GP this is paramount on your success in regaining your licence faster,
If you believe you might be missusing alcohol as binging this it's far better for you, under missuse it's only 6 months revoked and controlled drinking(however check that's correct the dvla change criteria's without always making it clear)

Last edited:
And with your liver function test if there are any abnormal blood markers then do expect DVLA to revoke your licence 6/12 months, before applying for a new temporary licence your liver function should of returned to normal with out this then DVLA will keep refusing......

If she's not going to tell the DVLA, is that a problem?
Without a doubt you would be investigated from her report and it's likely a letter from the dvla could revoke you with immediate affect pending there inquiries!

It's possible to argue she might be an over zealous doctor ! Did you fill in any forms ie AUDIT which scores your level of dependent, was the interview recorded ! Did you sign for anything! Are you aware exactly what 1 unit of alcohol represents! ( Was it explained to you) did you mention exactly how much units were consumed over each weekend and what strength of alcohol,

For instance someone used to drink 8 pints at 2% Friday the 4 pints Saturday still under government guildlines

Basically it's a battle you will be challenged into trying to prove you misused alcohol and in no way are dependent as she describes ! However it's what's been recorded that might decide.

Quit drinking immediately they will now how bad your drinking habits are by your CDT levels

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. It just seems so counter intuitive. I was trying to become healthier and I am immediately penalised for telling the truth even though I have no intention of driving in the next year. I'm lucky I know - I don't need to drive and in fact rarely do. The liver test was done on the day so nothing I can do to influence it now - just waiting for the results. Will see where that leaves us. Perhaps it won't be as bad as she thinks and it will all blow over.

It's actually my 50th birthday party on Saturday - so looks like it will be one more night out - and then 6 months of lime and soda!

Your works liver test will have little or no impact to the DVLA, if they do get involved you will receive a letter asking you to attend one of there choosing clinic where a doctor will examine you and get you to fill out a form regarding your drinking habits also a sample of blood for CDT purposes, the dvla will then wright to your GP for further enquiries! looking for evidence of further abuse then make there finding based upon all the results ?

Play it as a waiting game but stay of the booze if you want a fighting chance low CDT pass!
As soon as you get letter from dvla make appointment with your GP and talk about your concerns regarding wrighty or wrongly being classed dependant, some GP do get it wrong all to often and wrongly class folks dependancy

Last edited:
If she's not going to tell the DVLA, is that a problem?
Sorry misread !
If she's not contacting the DVLa you will not be flagged! However her demeanor sounded very proffesional and she would loose her licence if she failed to provide evidence of a licence risk, she's everthing to loose not reporting! but you on other hand have more !! I've been there with the truth spill and health

Four years ago a doctor said I was drinking too much according to my answers, and offered to refer me to an addiction service. I didn't follow it up, and have never heard anything else.

Post back if or when any contact from dvla, if a letter does appear requesting you to attend a medical center you then have 4 weeks to make that appointment! If your CDT is high it's very likely you would be unable to reduce your levels in time,
Go easy over next couple of weeks

don't know or whom you work for but unless it was part of your contract or admission I wouldn't look anywhere near a works Doctor , they have to justify themselves hence why she's got mixed up!
I pray your GGT levels are low(they won't test for CDT only DVLA do that)

You need to build a case for yersrlf atleast to binge drinking! and definitely not dependency

As for your admission unless you signed an AUDIT or other! she's got fukal on you regarding what you said
Your GGT might be low play fair an prepare to defend your corner

Last edited:
To put things into perspective !
I was labeled high dependency from dvla because I walked into a clinic through my GP requesting a drug to stop drinking! Same affect I did with stopping smoking which worked 109%
I was going to gym 5 days a week wanted to kick booze into touch, my GP didn't think I had issues but referred me as requested

Long story short annual hgv medical he's ticking all the wrong boxes which landed me onto the dvla shit pan!
I had to fight to get low dependency never managed to get missuse even tho I only drank 2 nights a week

I wasn't dependant the markers for dependency didn't account for me!
Then I remembered something !! At the clinic in order to get the drug I lied a bit in order to get the drug prescribed (what a plonker)
Licence revoked 3yrs

But that was a licenced clinic your works GP will not have the same power especially if you never did an AUDIT or signed for anything

It's now a case of ensuring your CDT levels are lowest possible and she was confused into what you did drink over a weekend!
Yes 12/14 cans low strength lager?

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off