Will speeding ticket impact on new medical licence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Oneyearnobeer

Well Known Member
Hi....
I got my one year licence back in December after a very long winded process.
This morning a speeding ticket came through the post (35mph in a 30mph) for my husbands car. As we genuinely have no idea of it was me or him driving at the time (much more likely to be me as he working from home) what do we say? I would hate for this to impact on my next medical in autumn and so would it be just wise to say that he was driving? Or would it have no impact at all? He is happy to say he was driving (as we don’t actually know) if it will affect my medical licence but obviously he’d rather not if it was me (he’s already done a speed awareness course)

Hi....
I got my one year licence back in December after a very long winded process.
This morning a speeding ticket came through the post (35mph in a 30mph) for my husbands car. As we genuinely have no idea of it was me or him driving at the time (much more likely to be me as he working from home) what do we say? I would hate for this to impact on my next medical in autumn and so would it be just wise to say that he was driving? Or would it have no impact at all? He is happy to say he was driving (as we don’t actually know) if it will affect my medical licence but obviously he’d rather not if it was me (he’s already done a speed awareness course)
Ps: we are not trying to lie here, we genuinely have no idea which one of us it was at this stage

Ps: we are not trying to lie here, we genuinely have no idea which one of us it was at this stage

Points effect the medical licence the same way as the full licence. 12 points and you'll be banned, 3 points for doing 5 over the speed limit will have no effect on your licence renewal.

The points may however have an effect on your insurance at renewal with a ban then points following that. If you have never done the speed awareness course it should be an option instead of points for 5 over in a 30.

Thanks grice. First speeding ticket in 22 years!!! So basically it won’t affect my renewal in the autumn?

Not your licence renewal no, speeding is not a recent medical problem it's a lapse of judgement and so has no bearing on the medical procedure.

Contact the number on the speeding fine, explain that it was you driving and you have never done the awareness course. 22 years never speeding etc and the fine should be transferred into your name and the course should be offered as it's a first speeding offence.

Not your licence renewal no, speeding is not a recent medical problem it's a lapse of judgement and so has no bearing on the medical procedure.

Contact the number on the speeding fine, explain that it was you driving and you have never done the awareness course. 22 years never speeding etc and the fine should be transferred into your name and the course should be offered as it's a first speeding offence.
Thanks so much for that 👍🏻😊

The keeper of the vehicle either has to return the form, saying he was the driver, or send the form back nominating you as the driver. Then you get sent a form to fill in. A course will be offered at that speed with no previous in the past 3 years.

You cannot contact the Safety Camera Partnership as at this stage the allegation is nothing to do with you. It MUST be dealt with by your husband as the keeper in the first place.

Don’t send the form back saying “Can’t remember who was driving” because that will lead to a prosecution for failing to name the driver and 6 points. What you have to show is due diligence as to woho was driving, so checking phone location, purchases made etc to work out who was driving. It is at most 14 days ago, so you have to try hard and research to work out who was driving.

Thanks Price. The letter is dated 12/2/21 and the speeding offence was 12/1/21. Not sure if this relevant is as you said ‘it is at most 14 days ago’

A notice of that intended prosecution has to be sent within 14 days of the offence to the keeper of the vehicle, but this could be a leasing or hire company, who then return the form saying who has the vehicle. The subsequent notice to the person they nominate is can be weeks later, it is only the original notice that is constrained by the 14 day limit.

Does that Dan that your husband will sort it, nominate you as the driver then you will return your form?
As I said, the likely outcome is to be offered an online course, with no points on your licence.

Yes he knows he has to notify them as it’s his car and his letter. So he’s going to say it was me driving (which is 90% likely is as I’m off work in lockdown). I guess they will then write to me with the relevant info

Good, sorry to be so picky about the process but I have seen before where people
Do not do it the right way and the keeper ends up with 6 points and inflated insurance instead of the driver getting just 3 points or even, as in your case, the chance of a course and no points....

No worries, I appreciate all your advice. It’s not possible to be certain who was driving but it’s almost certain it was me because of time of day etc. I won’t be speeding again anyway..... it’s been (another) lesson 💰 🙄

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off