Will my CDT lower in time

Convicted Driver Insurance

CRWTMB888

Hi All,
I am due (with luck) to get my licence back 21st March after 25m. (my sentence was very out of proportion to everyone else I have met or read about including those on the course).
I received the letter re the medical and had it booked for 19th Feb. I abstained for 10 days before as that was the most I could due to the timing of the appointment. I had also abstained for 10 weeks last year until mid December more due to testing any changes with my white cell count (I have an autoimmune disease). I generally drink about 3 bottles of wine each week, split over 3/4 days. Im healthy overwise and eat well and drink plenty of water.

So.. did the medical on 19th, all seemed fine. That evening I enjoyed half a bottle of red. that following weekend we had friends over and I had a fair bit of prosecco. following week had both my eldest daughter and my mothers birthday, so had roughly 1.5 bottles of red (13%) over those two days. On 1st march i had 2/3bt Prosecco and 1 small baileys. 2nd March I got a letter from DVLA to say there was an issue with the blood test and I have to retake it!! (no extra charge at least).
the rest is booked 18th March.
I decided to do a Medicheck to be safe as I was fretting before anyway. I sent off the test on the 4th March.
I stupidly had wine on 6th and 7th March - 1 bottle red total (estimating 72g alcohol)
2 glasses on 10th and the rest of the bottle on 11th (yesterday) - I know …. but I had convinced myself I would be well under the threshold anyway as I really don't drink that much compared to many others I know!

Result from Medichecks came back today at 2.2%!!! so now im concerned.

being the 2.2% is based on 4th March and my retest is 18th March .. if I drink nothing more now,, will it reduce enough?

I don't have any history of alcohol issues, just had a seriously stressful 2 years at the time of the conviction. (deaths, divorce, illness and almost bankrupt!)

I have run the figures as best I can and think I may just pass, and I don't want to postpone the test further as we intend to take a driving holiday in mid april and hoped to have the licence back before then to sort new insurance.
thanks in advance for all advice.

Not for me this thread
Thanks.. i noted the edits each time..
With Luck - well yes - i am hoping i do actually get it back as i have had many many set backs in the last few years that would suggest luck is not on my side.
my sentence was indeed within the guidelines.. however i have met and spoken to several people whose readings were higher than mine, who had caused damage to others and potentially killed others too and had no extenuating circumstances.. (one guy flipped his car over by wembley high street and was 2x the limit and got only 24 m reduce to 18m with the course..) the magistrate even stated she felt i "should" have known better due to my age and career and therefore handed me a sentence at the very higher end of the guideline despite me causing no harm to anyone or thing, several extenuating circumstances (the sudden death of my young and fit father with whom i share a business supporting our families, the ex husbands death threats up to the night before my fathers funeral and being diagnosed with myeloma whilst being a single mother to 3 and taking care of several other family members), the "social worker" they ask you to speak to about the circumstances also flatly stated she didnt understand my illness and therefore wasnt going to consider it,despite all the doctor/hospital letters - i had just finished treatment for multiple myeloma and have been left with Neutropenia for life.. the day of the incident was incredibly stressful and i made a terrible decision... however they took none of this into account, it was a first conviction of any kind, but i got 30 months and a hefty fine. the course reduced it but by a strange number and there was even confusion over when i would get it back as the course instructor had janaury, so it does feel a bit like a game of luck to me.

even a reading of 2.2 surprised me when im not a heavy drinker, have regular weeks of abstinence, eat healthy and exercise.
i really wanted someone to just tell me whether i have a hope in hell of getting my licence back before mid april. but nevermind.

You don't need to justify yourself to Craig. He has sent a lot of unkind messages recently, so should probably listen to his own advice about drinking. Welcome to the forum and people will support you. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

Thanks.. i noted the edits each time..
With Luck - well yes - i am hoping i do actually get it back as i have had many many set backs in the last few years that would suggest luck is not on my side.
my sentence was indeed within the guidelines.. however i have met and spoken to several people whose readings were higher than mine, who had caused damage to others and potentially killed others too and had no extenuating circumstances.. (one guy flipped his car over by wembley high street and was 2x the limit and got only 24 m reduce to 18m with the course..) the magistrate even stated she felt i "should" have known better due to my age and career and therefore handed me a sentence at the very higher end of the guideline despite me causing no harm to anyone or thing, several extenuating circumstances (the sudden death of my young and fit father with whom i share a business supporting our families, the ex husbands death threats up to the night before my fathers funeral and being diagnosed with myeloma whilst being a single mother to 3 and taking care of several other family members), the "social worker" they ask you to speak to about the circumstances also flatly stated she didnt understand my illness and therefore wasnt going to consider it,despite all the doctor/hospital letters - i had just finished treatment for multiple myeloma and have been left with Neutropenia for life.. the day of the incident was incredibly stressful and i made a terrible decision... however they took none of this into account, it was a first conviction of any kind, but i got 30 months and a hefty fine. the course reduced it but by a strange number and there was even confusion over when i would get it back as the course instructor had janaury, so it does feel a bit like a game of luck to me.

even a reading of 2.2 surprised me when im not a heavy drinker, have regular weeks of abstinence, eat healthy and exercise.
i really wanted someone to just tell me whether i have a hope in hell of getting my licence back before mid april. but nevermind.
My barrister said the magistrate was overly harsh with me due to my age and 40 years clean driving record, so I should have known better. I suppose he is right but still a bit unfair. I just have accepted it.

My situation is somewhat simular. I personally would say that if you have the slightest doubt you're not going to pass then do not go there! If you fail the test it's abstinence for life, no social sharing a bottle with friends, and also liver function tests for the next 3 years to be allowed a temporary one year licence. Don't chance it. Give yourself a good couple of months on the wagon then rebook the test. Have patience it will be worth it.

I can understand you want your licence before April , I wanted mine before a certain family weekend and didn't abstain quite long enough. Kicking myself now.

Hi All,
I am due (with luck) to get my licence back 21st March after 25m. (my sentence was very out of proportion to everyone else I have met or read about including those on the course).
I received the letter re the medical and had it booked for 19th Feb. I abstained for 10 days before as that was the most I could due to the timing of the appointment. I had also abstained for 10 weeks last year until mid December more due to testing any changes with my white cell count (I have an autoimmune disease). I generally drink about 3 bottles of wine each week, split over 3/4 days. Im healthy overwise and eat well and drink plenty of water.

So.. did the medical on 19th, all seemed fine. That evening I enjoyed half a bottle of red. that following weekend we had friends over and I had a fair bit of prosecco. following week had both my eldest daughter and my mothers birthday, so had roughly 1.5 bottles of red (13%) over those two days. On 1st march i had 2/3bt Prosecco and 1 small baileys. 2nd March I got a letter from DVLA to say there was an issue with the blood test and I have to retake it!! (no extra charge at least).
the rest is booked 18th March.
I decided to do a Medicheck to be safe as I was fretting before anyway. I sent off the test on the 4th March.
I stupidly had wine on 6th and 7th March - 1 bottle red total (estimating 72g alcohol)
2 glasses on 10th and the rest of the bottle on 11th (yesterday) - I know …. but I had convinced myself I would be well under the threshold anyway as I really don't drink that much compared to many others I know!

Result from Medichecks came back today at 2.2%!!! so now im concerned.

being the 2.2% is based on 4th March and my retest is 18th March .. if I drink nothing more now,, will it reduce enough?

I don't have any history of alcohol issues, just had a seriously stressful 2 years at the time of the conviction. (deaths, divorce, illness and almost bankrupt!)

I have run the figures as best I can and think I may just pass, and I don't want to postpone the test further as we intend to take a driving holiday in mid april and hoped to have the licence back before then to sort new insurance.
thanks in advance for all advice.

You don't have to drink everyday in order for CDT levels to become raised. Binge drinking can & will raise CDT levels even if you have regular weeks of abstinence and don't drink between binges.

A lot of people are caught out with the medical blood test too. Many will have abstained from drinking alcohol altogether leading up to the medical and have perhaps kept away from social situations where they are tempted to consume alcohol. So when they have been for the medical they may celebrate the fact they are on the home stretch after doing all they could to give them the best chance to pass, only to be told there was a problem with the blood test & they need to do another one.

I would always advise abstaining until you actually have confirmation from the DVLA that you have passed and they are issuing you a driving licence or you actually have your licence in your hand.

My situation is somewhat simular. I personally would say that if you have the slightest doubt you're not going to pass then do not go there! If you fail the test it's abstinence for life, no social sharing a bottle with friends, and also liver function tests for the next 3 years to be allowed a temporary one year licence. Don't chance it. Give yourself a good couple of months on the wagon then rebook the test. Have patience it will be worth it.

This is good advice. Personally, I wouldnt chance it. Good luck.

Have y
You don't need to justify yourself to Craig. He has sent a lot of unkind messages recently, so should probably listen to his own advice about drinking. Welcome to the forum and people will support you. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.
I never looked or asked for justification
It's an open forum nobody judges anyone

Yes exactly that.

If you are having to do a medical then your reading must have been over 87, so unless your reading was 88 or 89, the magistrates guidelines are 23-28 months (they are 17-22 for a reading of 60-89) so 30 months seems harsh...BUT if you blew 120 or over then the guidelines are 29-36 months.
The magistrates are allowed to give UP TO a 25% reduction above 12 months, and they often go for 1 week per month so 30 weeks for a 30 month ban, rather than 25% which would be 7 1/2 or almost 32 weeks. i have had someone on a course who was only offered a 6 month reduction for a 3 year ban instead of the possible 9 months.

The mitigation that the magistrates can take into account have to be about the circumstances of the offence, not personal circumstances. They may well be sympathetic to your situation (Which sounds really sad) at the time of the offence but this should not alter how they should sentence you.

Little update, sorry for the silence.. so i postponed it and i should have had it today, but the DR said they have cancelled so i dont now know when i will be able to. its no great loss as we wont be going anywhere anyway but hopefully i can get it done in a month or so.
i read lots on the other pages and so many people did get their licence with heavier drinking habits than mine, so therewas a good chance i would have gotten through on the original test but it wasnt worth the risk.
Couple of notes i have found, women and especially of the peri-menopausel age (me) do often have a slightly higher reading than others of a similar height/weight & drinking pattern.
one major thing i didnt see mentioned on other posts but mentioned here very kindly - after the blood test - dont drink until you confirm they have the sample and can test it!!!!
my reading BTW was 90 so they could give me the 30 but equally could have given me lower, but they were clear i was being made an example of, and sadly i didnt have the money to appeal at that time. i hurt no one and did not cause major roads issues or traffic, or harm to others property. but oh well..
thank you again for everyone who did reply with kindness or constructive comment.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off