Will I get tested for gamma gt or by CDT

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ouchie82

Hi every one , I passed the Dvla medical in 2010 witch all my blood levels were fine apart from gamma gt levels witch was 110 , I was asked to go for another medical a year later but I never went though with it because of my life style at that time , I'm now able to apply back for my driving licence ! I called the Dvla and asked them about the new test they do the CDT blood test , I was told nothing to every think I asked about it ! So I've got just a couple of questions and maybe some one could shed some light on what I may be in for !
Okay so I've passed on the old test , does this mean I will still have to repeat this test or will I only be tested only with the CDT blood test ?
The CDT my doctor has never heard of it ! Can I have this test done on the NHS before I have it done though the Dvla ?
I've read that the CDT test can only look back at the last 4 weeks ! Is this true or can it look back even more ?

Many thanks !

Hiya,
My understanding is that they now only use the CDT test and not the old Liver Function Test as you can have abnormal liver function for other reasons whereas the CDT test specifically looks and shows any current alcohol misuse, so although I have not drunk since the day I was arrested (May this year) I did pay for a private CDT test which was about £60 and came back as <0.5% which I would have expected.... I also paid for a private liver function test too just out of interest and all figures came back totally normal..the reason I did this is that I am a worrier, simple as that, so wanted to put my own mind at rest beforehand.

I was recently in hospital for something, only overnight, and I asked the consultant about the CDT test too and he had no idea what it was, even the private place I went to didn't really know what it was and had to look on a chart to find it!!! (it was under transferrin)...

My understanding is that it would show any drinking to excess over the previous 2-4 weeks or so but depending on how much a person was drinking, if it was daily and excessive it might show an elevated level not acceptable to the DVLA after maybe a longer time than this but I am not sure..the general census seems to be to not drink at all for a few weeks to allow the levels to go back down but others will have more knowledge than me on this.

Good luck, my medical is the week after next...
Moodle

I think it is as per what Moodle says, and it WILL be CDT. Guidance seems to vary between CDT picking up excessive alcohol consumption over 4 weeks, or up to 8 weeks. Perhaps best to go for 8....
As to CDT tests and The National Health, I would think that you would not get this as it is not an essential test. You would have to get that done privately, but as you will get one as part of the DVLA medical anyway, I would wait the 8 weeks and see the results you get.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off