Will DVLA contact my GP

Convicted Driver Insurance

Adambell1

Hi,

I was banned for drink driving and am classed as a HRO. I have my medical coming up soon and by then I will have gone 1 month without a drop of alcohol and before that only drank twice a week.

I am sure that I will pass the CDT test but I just want some clarity for my own peace of mind about the term 'Alcohol Misuse'.

A few years ago I went to the doctors about my alcohol consumption and mental health. I attended a short course. Since then I massively reduced my alcohol intake and it hasn't been a problem since.

All I received from DVLA was a form to say I need to book a DVLA medical. No questionnaire and no mention that they have or will contact my GP.

So, if I answer the questions during my medical wisely, along with passing my CDT. Will DVLA contact my GP?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Hi,

I was banned for drink driving and am classed as a HRO. I have my medical coming up soon and by then I will have gone 1 month without a drop of alcohol and before that only drank twice a week.

I am sure that I will pass the CDT test but I just want some clarity for my own peace of mind about the term 'Alcohol Misuse'.

A few years ago I went to the doctors about my alcohol consumption and mental health. I attended a short course. Since then I massively reduced my alcohol intake and it hasn't been a problem since.

All I received from DVLA was a form to say I need to book a DVLA medical. No questionnaire and no mention that they have or will contact my GP.

So, if I answer the questions during my medical wisely, along with passing my CDT. Will DVLA contact my GP?

Thanks

Adam
Being an HRO your GP will be contacted by DVLA with a questionnaire (this can be found on the web).
At your medical you’ll have to answer questions regarding your drinking history,so be truthful with your answers, and carry on with your abstinence.
Hopefully this will lead to the reissue of your licence, best of luck.

Can you be more specific than a few years ago? If contacted, the DVLA will ask your GP about your history for the last six years. Have you had a conversation with your doctor about how you have reduced your drinking? Have you had a LFT? If neither, strongly suggest making an appointment with your GP ASAP to do both.

You need to be careful. If you answer the questions "wisely" and your GP is contacted and their notes contradict your answers, then it will seem you were being dishonest.

Hi,

Thanks

Adam
Hope this helps...thats what says behind my medical letter..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220404-153337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-153337_Gallery.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220404_152020.jpg
    20220404_152020.jpg
    750.1 KB · Views: 57
Hi,

Thanks

Adam
I recently got my licence back, the DVLA did contact my doctor, not sure exactly why, I guess to confirm everything I have stated.
Every blood test/ hospital appointment I had my doctor received a copy.
I passed my CDT with a score of 0.4 but that was with a full 12 months of no alcohol at all.
The DVLA operate in a strange way but that's the way things are.
Hope this helps.

As RSC says, contact your GP and make sure your progress is recorded on your Dr's notes. Get them to do your bloods as well. I'm learning on this site that you can never have enough evidence on your side when asking for your license back, so make sure your GP is on your side too. So hopefully when the DVLA contact them (and they will!) your GP will say all positive things about you.

I recently got my licence back, the DVLA did contact my doctor, not sure exactly why, I guess to confirm everything I have stated.
Every blood test/ hospital appointment I had my doctor received a copy.
I passed my CDT with a score of 0.4 but that was with a full 12 months of no alcohol at all.
The DVLA operate in a strange way but that's the way things are.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. Did you state anything on your questionnaire to indicate that you have misused or been dependent on Alcohol?

As RSC says, contact your GP and make sure your progress is recorded on your Dr's notes. Get them to do your bloods as well. I'm learning on this site that you can never have enough evidence on your side when asking for your license back, so make sure your GP is on your side too. So hopefully when the DVLA contact them (and they will!) your GP will say all positive things about you.
Thanks for your reply. When you say 'and they will', is that for certain because it seems not everyone's GP is contacted by what I read on this forum. I guess that's what I am trying to determine.... will they contact mine?

Can you be more specific than a few years ago? If contacted, the DVLA will ask your GP about your history for the last six years. Have you had a conversation with your doctor about how you have reduced your drinking? Have you had a LFT? If neither, strongly suggest making an appointment with your GP ASAP to do both.

You need to be careful. If you answer the questions "wisely" and your GP is contacted and their notes contradict your answers, then it will seem you were being dishonest.
Thanks for the reply. to be more specific it was the start of 2019.

I haven't had a conversation with my GP about my alcohol consumption as there's been no need to. I have significantly reduced my alcohol consumption to less than the government guidelines.

To be honest, I don't think I will have enough time to get a docs appointment and blood tests before my medical. Just really worried and anxious. I want to be honest with them but don't want them to say because I have discussed my alcohol consumption with my GP in the last 6 years, that I now need to wait a further 6 months until I get my license back. This is because I know I am more than fit to drive now.

Being an HRO your GP will be contacted by DVLA with a questionnaire (this can be found on the web).
At your medical you’ll have to answer questions regarding your drinking history,so be truthful with your answers, and carry on with your abstinence.
Hopefully this will lead to the reissue of your licence, best of luck.
Thanks for your reply. So if I was honest and said that I have misused alcohol in the last 6 years (I don't believe I have but by their definition I may have), will they automatically tell me I have to wait a further 6 months to get my license alongside controlled drinking or abstinence?

Thanks for your reply. When you say 'and they will', is that for certain because it seems not everyone's GP is contacted by what I read on this forum. I guess that's what I am trying to determine.... will they contact mine?
To be honest.GP will be only contacted if the answer you answer on your questionaire is a bit of an alarm to the dvla medical section.and if you CDT result comes back and it doesnt match with the answers on your question thats a green light for them to contact your GP. In summary not everyones GP is contacted but depending on any misuse history🤟🤟..hope this helps

My opinion - is there any way you could push your medical back and visit/speak to your GP in the interim? Have a look at the questionnaire. Sure somebody can provide the link or have a look at previous posts. The DVLA (as said above) do operate in their own weird way. My DVLA Dr said to assume everyone's GP would be contacted but mine wasn't.

Thanks for your reply. Did you state anything on your questionnaire to indicate that you have misused or been dependent on Alcohol?
Hi, going back 15 years I did have major organ failure and was in hospital for 8 weeks due to alcohol, I went down to 6 stone, I am now a chubby 14!
It was in my medical records, 5 years ago I was in hospital for a major detox due yo alcohol dependency.
I had the choice of end up dead in time or try and sort it out, which I did.
I did a full 12 months alcohol free before DVLA medical.
Now I drink occasionally and at home, so no longer a risk.
Its not an easy thing to do, but regular contact with doctors and hospital does go a long way.

I just got my Full License back after about 4 or 5 medicals I have had over the years. I mentioned on the questionnaire I was drinking up to 9 units a week. I always passed - reading between 0.6 - 07. I was taking Milk Thistle Tablets, Magniesum tablets, Vitamin B, Omega 3, you can buy these from shops. It worked for me. Hope this helps?

Hi, going back 15 years I did have major organ failure and was in hospital for 8 weeks due to alcohol, I went down to 6 stone, I am now a chubby 14!
It was in my medical records, 5 years ago I was in hospital for a major detox due yo alcohol dependency.
I had the choice of end up dead in time or try and sort it out, which I did.
I did a full 12 months alcohol free before DVLA medical.
Now I drink occasionally and at home, so no longer a risk.
Its not an easy thing to do, but regular contact with doctors and hospital does go a long way.
John, congratulations on getting through your detox, but to be honest, anyone who has had major organ failure and underwent a major detox programme does have some serious issues with alcohol.

Although you say you drink occasionally and at home so you are no longer a risk, you have been caught drink driving sometime in the past 3 years so the 'risk' is still there.

You said you had alcohol dependency, which means you are, like me, an alcoholic and the one thing an alcoholic can never do is drink alcohol. Just wondering if you have considered AA?

I wish you well in your recovery and hope your occasional drinking does not grow to become more frequent.

John, congratulations on getting through your detox, but to be honest, anyone who has had major organ failure and underwent a major detox programme does have some serious issues with alcohol.

Although you say you drink occasionally and at home so you are no longer a risk, you have been caught drink driving sometime in the past 3 years so the 'risk' is still there.

You said you had alcohol dependency, which means you are, like me, an alcoholic and the one thing an alcoholic can never do is drink alcohol. Just wondering if you have considered AA?

I wish you well in your recovery and hope your occasional drinking does not grow to become more frequent.
Thanks for the reply, I did get my licence back over 3 years ago, I never received my DVLA letters asking to take another medical so my licence was revoked purely for that reason.
I then had to start the whole year alcohol free and attend hospital appointments and blood tests, my doctor was sent a copy of everything.
Because of Covid delays it took well over 18 months for my medical, about 6 weeks after that I received a years full licence.
In the past I have attended many different awareness courses of which AA was one of them.
Thanks.

I think undoubtedly they will so be honest with your answers. They did with me, but I still got my license back. Honesty is cruical

I think undoubtedly they will so be honest with your answers. They did with me, but I still got my license back. Honesty is cruical
I agree, DVLA have access to almost anything they need.
Been driving just over a month now and insurance disregarded the past as so long has passed, so in a way Covid delays and letters not received did me a favour.
Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, I did get my licence back over 3 years ago, I never received my DVLA letters asking to take another medical so my licence was revoked purely for that reason.
I then had to start the whole year alcohol free and attend hospital appointments and blood tests, my doctor was sent a copy of everything.
Because of Covid delays it took well over 18 months for my medical, about 6 weeks after that I received a years full licence.
In the past I have attended many different awareness courses of which AA was one of them.
Thanks.
I'm glad you got your licence back and seem to be doing well.

The difference about AA though is that it isn't a 'course.' It is more a life long commitment.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off