Will anyone insure me on a section 88?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Pane123

Well Known Member
Hi,

My one year licence expired on 31 October but I've been able to drive under a section 88, after my GP confirmed that he saw no reason that I'd be unfit to drive.

However, my insurance ran out a few days ago and because my temporary licence has expired, my insurance company wouldn't renew my insurance.

They had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a section 88 and just said they need a valid licence.

As of now, I'm unable to drive because I'd be uninsured.

Has anyone else been in this position and is there a resolution?

Thanks

Hi,

My one year licence expired on 31 October but I've been able to drive under a section 88, after my GP confirmed that he saw no reason that I'd be unfit to drive.

However, my insurance ran out a few days ago and because my temporary licence has expired, my insurance company wouldn't renew my insurance.

They had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned a section 88 and just said they need a valid licence.

Thanks
Know its not much help but I will be starting the ball rolling way before my one year licence runs probably 6 months, when did you start the process and as for the insurance I wouldn't even told them about section 88

Know its not much help but I will be starting the ball rolling way before my one year licence runs probably 6 months, when did you start the process and as for the insurance I wouldn't even told them about section 88
2 days before my insurance expired but my licence had expired about 3 weeks before that.

Hi,

Thanks
Hiya did you find an answer to this ?? I'm currently driving my partners car and s88 will start from Thursday 9th Feb,my question is do I need to inform the insurance company that I'm driving g under s88? X

Hiya did you find an answer to this ?? I'm currently driving my partners car and s88 will start from Thursday 9th Feb,my question is do I need to inform the insurance company that I'm driving g under s88? X
I'm afraid not and I'm still unable to drive because I'd be uninsured.

One guy said he was able to enter this info on a comparison sites but I didn't have any luck.

As far as insurance companies are concerned, my licence expired at the end of October and not one company I've spoken to will touch me.

You could definitely try harder than I did - I just accepted quickly that I'd need to wait to get my licence back - but I didn't think the waiting times would be as bad or even worse than they were when I went through all this last year.

I've been waiting 3.5 months to hear from the DVLA, so I've decided just to wait a bit longer until the medical appointment letter arrives.

I hope you have better luck than I did and please let me know if you do!

Good luck!

One guy said he was able to enter this info on a comparison sites but I didn't have any luck.

As far as insurance companies are concerned, my licence expired at the end of October and not one company I've spoken to will touch me.

You could definitely try harder than I did - I just accepted quickly that I'd need to wait to get my licence back - but I didn't think the waiting times would be as bad or even worse than they were when I went through all this last year.

I've been waiting 3.5 months to hear from the DVLA, so I've decided just to wait a bit longer until the medical appointment letter arrives.

Good luck!
Thankyou for your reply so quickly. When you first started to drive on section 88 did you let insurance know ? My timeliness similar to yours it was beginning of November they recieved my application and uts been with medical for 9weeks now ,I'm ok with that .I just don't know if I can continue driving on s88 until my insurance needs renewed 🙄 x

Hi,

Thanks
I am insured through a broker called RCIB. I was calling them last week regarding another matter and mentioned the S88 to them. They said they are aware of it and provided I get a letter from my GP saying there is no reason for me to stop driving. then that won't be a problem.

You could try calling them and see if they can help.

Thankyou for your reply so quickly. When you first started to drive on section 88 did you let insurance know ? My timeliness similar to yours it was beginning of November they recieved my application and uts been with medical for 9weeks now ,I'm ok with that .I just don't know if I can continue driving on s88 until my insurance needs renewed 🙄 x
I didn't bother but I think you're supposed to/legally required to 😂.

I am insured through a broker called RCIB. I was calling them last week regarding another matter and mentioned the S88 to them. They said they are aware of it and provided I get a letter from my GP saying there is no reason for me to stop driving. then that won't be a problem.

You could try calling them and see if they can help.
Thanks a lot, I'll check them out.

Do they offer short term cover?

Hi guys just to make anyone aware of section 88, on the comparison sites for insurance just click on the drop down bar and click on 1 year temporary licence DVLA aware, and once your insurance has come through it’ll state on the certificate “5 persons or classes of persons entitled to drive (provided that the person driving holds a license to drive such a vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence” this paragraph then will refer to section 88 ….

Hi guys just to make anyone aware of section 88, on the comparison sites for insurance just click on the drop down bar and click on 1 year temporary licence DVLA aware, and once your insurance has come through it’ll state on the certificate “5 persons or classes of persons entitled to drive (provided that the person driving holds a license to drive such a vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence” this paragraph then will refer to section 88 ….

Could I ask , when you get quotes I've always seen a question 'Do you have any reportable medical conditions to DVLA ?
I've ticked NO , I mean I know our cases are with the med gp, / S88 whilst waiting for either another 12 month license etc , but am I doing wrong in ticking NO ,I don't have anything to report , I don't nor ever have had a drink problem , it was a Brain problem like most , it told us to get in the driver's seat , that I'd say recovered many yrs ago , but it's still very much a controllable issue , worms , open,and can comes to mind ?

Good luck!
Va

Could I ask , when you get quotes I've always seen a question 'Do you have any reportable medical conditions to DVLA ?
I've ticked NO , I mean I know our cases are with the med gp, / S88 whilst waiting for either another 12 month license etc , but am I doing wrong in ticking NO ,I don't have anything to report , I don't nor ever have had a drink problem , it was a Brain problem like most , it told us to get in the driver's seat , that I'd say recovered many yrs ago , but it's still very much a controllable issue , worms , open,and can comes to
I've ticked NO , I mean I know our cases are with the med gp, / S88 whilst waiting for either another 12 month license etc , but am I doing wrong in ticking NO ,I don't have anything to report , I don't nor ever have had a drink problem , it was a Brain problem like most , it told us to get in the driver's seat , that I'd say recovered many yrs ago , but it's still very much a controllable issue , worms , open,and can comes to mind ?
Hi again whilst you are running on a DVLA medical licence like it or not you will be classed as having a medical condition and in your case it’s probably “alcohol misuse “ these conditions then are to be considered when applying for vehicle insurance and will be known as 1 year temporary licence DVLA aware so that you are insured with the correct broker, it won’t make a difference to your premiums and if anything mine has been cheaper….

Hi again whilst you are running on a DVLA medical licence like it or not you will be classed as having a medical condition and in your case it’s probably “alcohol misuse “ these conditions then are to be considered when applying for vehicle insurance and will be known as 1 year temporary licence DVLA aware so that you are insured with the correct broker, it won’t make a difference to your premiums and if anything mine has been cheaper….
snap

Just a regular reminder that getting caught defrauding an insurance company, by omission of information about yourself or otherwise, will have a bigger impact on your ability to drive going forward than DD convictions ever will.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off