Will a letter be sent stating DVLA have contacted my GP?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bulldogs

Hello,

I am awaiting the return of my licence (fingers crossed) following my medical on 12th May. I have not been able to get through on the phone to the DVLA at all (except once, a week after my medical, when they confirmed they had received my bloods, but not scanned my questionnaire).

I can’t fathom any reason that they would need to contact my GP before issuing a licence, but having read these forums I know that sometimes they need no reason at all. My question is, will I be sent a letter notifying me that they have contacted my GP for further information, if they choose to do so? I really hope that after this long (but deserved) punishment that my ordeal is coming to an end, and the next thing I will get is my licence in the post. I can’t face another three months of back and forth if my GP is contacted needlessly.

I have a three hour commute (each way) to work on public transport so like many, I am pulling my hair out with the ‘not knowing’ aspect of the process.

As of today I’m still getting the automated ‘industrial action’ message when I call the DVLA, but I thought the strike ended on Saturday?

Any help would be appreciated - thank you.

Hello,

I am awaiting the return of my licence (fingers crossed) following my medical on 12th May. I have not been able to get through on the phone to the DVLA at all (except once, a week after my medical, when they confirmed they had received my bloods, but not scanned my questionnaire).

I can’t fathom any reason that they would need to contact my GP before issuing a licence, but having read these forums I know that sometimes they need no reason at all. My question is, will I be sent a letter notifying me that they have contacted my GP for further information, if they choose to do so? I really hope that after this long (but deserved) punishment that my ordeal is coming to an end, and the next thing I will get is my licence in the post. I can’t face another three months of back and forth if my GP is contacted needlessly.

I have a three hour commute (each way) to work on public transport so like many, I am pulling my hair out with the ‘not knowing’ aspect of the process.

As of today I’m still getting the automated ‘industrial action’ message when I call the DVLA, but I thought the strike ended on Saturday?

Any help would be appreciated - thank you.
From reading the posts on here I understand that they will write to you if they are contacting your GP. I also have read here though that they write to say they are contacting the GP yet donor do so straight away. I had my medical on 26/4. By 27/5 when I eventually spoke to someone I was told that they had still not received / scanned the questionnaire.

From reading the posts on here I understand that they will write to you if they are contacting your GP. I also have read here though that they write to say they are contacting the GP yet donor do so straight away. I had my medical on 26/4. By 27/5 when I eventually spoke to someone I was told that they had still not received / scanned the questionnaire.
On contacting the GP who did medical I was told questionnaire had been sent on 26/4 by email . They resent . 27/5 DVLA still saying they had nothing . Today , the GP surgery did me the most massive favour and contacted the DVLA ( they must have some leans unknown to us) and we’re told the qu’aire arrived 20/5. Sorry for all the detail but my advice is to try to find out if DVLA gave the questionnaire. The fact it’s been sent doesn’t mean they’ll have it on system. Only when they have this will there be a chance if someone getting round to thinking about making a decision. Good luck with your enquiries.

On contacting the GP who did medical I was told questionnaire had been sent on 26/4 by email . They resent . 27/5 DVLA still saying they had nothing . Today , the GP surgery did me the most massive favour and contacted the DVLA ( they must have some leans unknown to us) and we’re told the qu’aire arrived 20/5. Sorry for all the detail but my advice is to try to find out if DVLA gave the questionnaire. The fact it’s been sent doesn’t mean they’ll have it on system. Only when they have this will there be a chance if someone getting round to thinking about making a decision. Good luck with your enquiries.
Sorry for all the typos. If you go on DVLA website they announce they are on strike this week too .

Hi first time here so dont fully understand the process.
I completed my medical 11/5 and have a letter dated 28/5 stating they are contacting my GP. Is this standard procedure or possible indication of something I should be worried about?

Also reading the previous posts, should I contact my GP to make sure contact has been made?

I completed my medical 11/5 and have a letter dated 28/5 stating they are contacting my GP. Is this standard procedure or possible indication of something I should be worried about?

Also reading the previous posts, should I contact my GP to make sure contact

Also reading the previous posts, should I contact my GP to make sure contact has been made?
I’m not sure they have a procedure !!! I would definitely contact GP to ask if they’ve received the request . Try not to be too concerned.

Hi, at my first experience of yearly issued licence they initially contacted my GP with their questionnaire / fitness to drive and then again after I had passed the DVLA medical too. I received a letter both times to inform me of them contacting my GP.
My second yearly application ( going through this currently) I received a letter from DVLA saying they have written to my GP before they can make an assessment regarding my application / fitness to drive.
I am hoping this means I will not have to attend a medical and will simply issue my licence though they may well say I need to do this.
If this is the case I would assume they will again write to my GP after the medical again regarding fitness to drive.
In terms of asking whether you should contact your GP the answer would be "yes". The receptionist should be able to look up your details and say whether the practice has received this and when they received it or when it was added to their system.
In my case although the letter was naturally sent to my own GP the DVLA letter was actually passed to a different GP in the same practice to complete though I have never met this doctor.
I do not know whether this was perhaps a result of having some sort of impartial assessment or whether this was simply a result of how the practice operates : for example one doctor deals with DVLA requests and another deals with repeat prescriptions etc.

Last edited:

Hi, I completely forgot to add to my reply that in my experience your GP being contacted after the medical is normal and potentially a good sign and the first sign of you getting your licence back. In my experience they did this after I passed my medical and simply asked him if I was fit to drive. After this I received a letter from the informing that their medical enquires were complete and my licence would be issued shortly.

Hi, I completely forgot to add to my reply that in my experience your GP being contacted after the medical is normal and potentially a good sign and the first sign of you getting your licence back. In my experience they did this after I passed my medical and simply asked him if I was fit to drive. After this I received a letter from the informing that their medical enquires were complete and my licence would be issued shortly.
How long after you’re GP receiving the questionnaire did you receive the letter confirming medical completed and your licence issued?
Reason I ask is that I’ve been waiting since 28 May for my GP to respond to the questionnaire.

How long after you’re GP receiving the questionnaire did you receive the letter confirming medical completed and your licence issued?
Reason I ask is that I’ve been waiting since 28 May for my GP to respond to the questionnaire.
I'm not sure, my GP forgot to return and had to have reminder sent out and I phoned too.
I can't be certain as I don't have any way of knowing exactly when DVLA received paperwork from him but I think it was around three weeks later. This was before Covid.
Usually GPs' have six weeks to return this and this is stated on the letter you and him receive from DVLA. Again this was before Covid.
Currently, GPs' have twelve weeks to return due to other priorities due to Covid 19.
My most recent letter did not have any six week return timescale printed on it as usual and neither did the letter the GP received (I checked with the GP receptionist and there was no timescale on it at all).
The current twelve week timescale I learned from this forum.

I'm not sure, my GP forgot to return and had to have reminder sent out and I phoned too.
I can't be certain as I don't have any way of knowing exactly when DVLA received paperwork from him but I think it was around three weeks later. This was before Covid.
Usually GPs' have six weeks to return this and this is stated on the letter you and him receive from DVLA. Again this was before Covid.
Currently, GPs' have twelve weeks to return due to other priorities due to Covid 19.
My most recent letter did not have any six week return timescale printed on it as usual and neither did the letter the GP received (I checked with the GP receptionist and there was no timescale on it at all).
The current twelve week timescale I learned from this forum.
There may be different types of medical enquiries according to circumstances but the letter that was sent to GP in my case asked for them to return it in 4 weeks .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off