Who knows about your ban?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Doggy

Only my direct family know. I've officially lost count of the amount of people I've lied to about my car situation over the past 9 months (My ban finishes next week).

The hardest tumble a man can make is to fall over his own bluff. ~Ambrose Bierce

I'm now in the situation, I require to renew my police record check for a new job. There is a big possibility a colleague of mine will need to have access to this.

During pub conversations, he and others have had frank discussions about what are on people's police records ("John told me Bob has been convicted of fraud. It's on his record check" etc.). I know they are in the wrong for talking about record checks, but lets face it, I'm hardly one to rant and rave about others breaking the law am I? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've lied quite a bit. I still think the lying was the better choice than being known in circles as a drunk driver. Am I wrong? Should I have been more open about it? Other people's experiences most welcome.

Hello,

I have just read your latest 2 post's, all I can say is "get over it, it is time to move on".

Look you committed a crime, got caught, and you have now served your punishment. Learn from this, dont make the same mistake again.

Today, I am attending the final session of the alcohol awareness course. This has certainly opened my eyes to the effect of alcohol on the mind body and soul. I hasten to say I have actually enjoyed the course.

I am into my 5th month of the ban, licence due back next February, It has been tough, and likely to get tougher as the real winter months roll in.

I have told everybody I know about my act of stupidness, in fact I have been a anti drink driving advert since I was convicted.

99% of the people I know, are aware of my driving ban, to boot as well, I was a courier driver for a well known parcel delivery company. I lost that aspect of my job, but retained a position in the warehouse (less money), but still a job. 4 months later I have just been promoted to a team leader, money heading back in the right direction again.

Did you know, that although you have a criminal record, and the offence is deemed serious in the eyes of the law, the criminal record is classed as minor. You could if you so desired still apply to be a magistrate at your local courts.

Next year expect things to get a whole lot worse for people who abuse drink driving laws, legislation is changing, from 2011, the police wont need a reason to stop a vehicle (like they ever did), ONE pint and you are dicing with your licence as the Blood Alcohol Content is being lowered to 50. There are more, but I cant remember them off hand. The point I am trying to make is, you have made your mistake. You have been there, seen it and done it. Do you get my drift....

A couple of months ago I went out with my mate who drove to the pub, we bought each other a pint so thats 2 each so far then we did the same thing again so we ended up having 4 each. I said to him about drink driving, and my experience and he just shrugged it off. I accepted this at the time, as I had not done the course. Now having done the course, I would either tell him about the risks and consequences, and ask him to get a taxi home, or I would refuse to get in his car. Human nature will demand people take risks, but some of them are just not worth it, and plain stupid and Drink Driving is one of them.

You have made your mistake, and think of it this way, you were lucky you got caught when you did. I assume you didn't crash or hurt anyone else which could have made it a whole lot worse. You have completed your punishment, and have decided to keep it to yourself, fair play, now next week, you just need to get yourself back behind the wheel, and put all this behind you.

It is time to look to the future, and take something positive out of this. Be an unsung hero. Advise the strong willed, protect the vulnerable, and still you would not have to disclose any information you dont want to.

Good luck for the future, and enjoy your licence when it is returned to you. Look forward not backwards. Take care.

Regards,

The Village Idiot.

The Village Idiot, thanks for that very insightful and supportive post. I hope more than just me read the above and get as much out of it as I did. You are absolutely right, it could have been a lot worse. Furthermore had I not been caught, I may have done it again, only increasing my chances of a collision.

I'm glad to hear the drink drive limit is reducing. I think the current limit causes far too much confusion. If people know that even 1 pint is risky, hopefully that'll be a big enough motivation to make them think twice.

And on the topic of your mate, I had the same perspective change as you after the course (though I still don't have many positives to say about it :p), the one thing I did take away was the length of time & effects of booze in the system, and wouldn't think twice about refusing to get in the car with a friend who's had a few drinks.

Hopefully things will pick up once I'm back driving next week. It's been a long 9 months, not just because I couldn't drive. I very much appreciate your post.

Out of sheer interest, what's the story behind you getting involved in the anti drink driving advert?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off