When does a GP / Doctor Report Alcohol Misuse to the DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance

firemansam007

Well Known Member
You are only a HRO until you pass your medical. Some people have concerns raised because of the medical and are given a short term licence of a year or two, when it is then reviewed, and this process can last for 6 years, but this is not the HRO process, it is a medical investigation in the same way as if the person had been reported to DVLA by, say, their doctor. There is an investigation and then maybe a series of medicals whilst their lifestyle with alcohol is investigated and monitored.
Hi Price,

Could you please advise on my query. When does a GP/Doctor informs DVLA (or are have a duty to report to DVLA) of alcohol misuse.. ie with raised LFT levels, Liver issues, Alcohol related incidents..

Also can a member of public raise concerns about another driver (drinks excessively. Etc). Does DVLA act on tip off from others or family members.

Please advise and thanks for your help.

Regards,

Sam

There is guidance for GP’s on this, rather than go into a lot of information myself, best if you read it here:

DVLA do not act on anonymous “tip offs” but may act on information from concerned family members where detailed information is supplied.

Hi Price,

Could you please advise on my query. When does a GP/Doctor informs DVLA (or are have a duty to report to DVLA) of alcohol misuse.. ie with raised LFT levels, Liver issues, Alcohol related incidents..

Also can a member of public raise concerns about another driver (drinks excessively. Etc). Does DVLA act on tip off from others or family members.

Please advise and thanks for your help.

Regards,

Sam
I was reported by my psychiatrist as I was suffering with depression. She asked how much I drank, I said I have a drink most nights and she reported me. I lost my licence, was meant to be for 6 months, but doc appealed it for me with liver tests and a reference and I got my licenece back. Every since have been on a 1 year license and currently waiting on feed back to see if I need to go for a medical.
I would never discuss drinking with a medical professional Again

I was reported for telling a GP I drank 30 units of alcohol per week, I was revoked for 12 months and now get a yearly licence.....

Lissylou

I hope you don't mind me hyjacking the thread?

From what I've learned about doctors - never declare you drink over the recommended units (14 units per week).

A forum member on here once declared he drank about 24 units a week which I still don't think is a great deal of alcohol consumption.
The GP then notified the DVLA and 'BANG!' - licence revoked!!! He had no alcohol problems and had simply declared the alcohol units on a form. I'd use the phrase 'Jobsworth' in this scenario.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I would go so far as to say - never tell a GP anything that involves excessive drinking. Many people can have a disciplined sensible relationship with alcohol. My Dad probably drinks 20+ units in a week and he certainly never gets drunk or does anything foolish. He simply has two or three cans of Thwaites or John Smiths in the evening. He's said himself he would never tell a doctor what he drinks because he values his driving licence too much.

The only advantage you have is that you are not a convicted drink driver (like myself) so the process is a little bit easier with the DVLA.

All of us on here learn the hard way. Just make sure you never declare anything alcohol related again to a medical professional.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off