When Can I reapply for my Licence?

Convicted Driver Insurance

foolishfriend

I was banned in 2016 as a HRO. I got a one year licence in October 2020 which I continued to drive on after October 2021 Under s88. I did not drink and had not since May 2019.

In April this year I relapsed with my alcohol problem and went into detox/recovery for a month to try to properly address my drinking. I have not drunk, or driven since. In August got a letter from DVLA saying that they had been informed of my detox and I was considered alcohol dependent and could not reapply for my licence again for a year.

My question is, when does this year start ? The day in April that I went into detox or August when DVLA got around to writing to me?

I was banned in 2016 as a HRO. I got a one year licence in October 2020 which I continued to drive on after October 2021 Under s88. I did not drink and had not since May 2019.

In April this year I relapsed with my alcohol problem and went into detox/recovery for a month to try to properly address my drinking. I have not drunk, or driven since. In August got a letter from DVLA saying that they had been informed of my detox and I was considered alcohol dependent and could not reapply for my licence again for a year.

My question is, when does this year start ? The day in April that I went into detox or August when DVLA got around to writing to me?

Sorry to read about this.

To answer your question - it would entirely depend on whether you have had your sobriety documented from April after you came out of detox.

While you are off the road, the DVLA will want documented evidence of your sobriety. This will usually involve regular contact with your GP and LFTs to prove you are making a conscious effort to stay 'dry'.

If there is nothing recorded on file, then I'm afraid you will have to assume the 12 months will start from August, but as I say, if you haven't had any LFTs done yet you need to get one booked ASAP.

CJ

Sorry to read about this.

To answer your question - it would entirely depend on whether you have had your sobriety documented from April after you came out of detox.

While you are off the road, the DVLA will want documented evidence of your sobriety. This will usually involve regular contact with your GP and LFTs to prove you are making a conscious effort to stay 'dry'.

If there is nothing recorded on file, then I'm afraid you will have to assume the 12 months will start from August, but as I say, if you haven't had any LFTs done yet you need to get one booked ASAP.

CJ
Hi

I had a LFT test done this week. My GP has agreed to do them every 3 months going forward (I have another condition that needs monitoring anyway).

Given I was in rehab for a month and couldn't drink then, and also it represented a very significant (and expensive) commitment to sobriety, I am inclined to try my luck in May. My only concern is that they won't have processed this before August so I won't know then whether to put in a new application. I have had regular contact with my GP since August and she is supportive.

flshfrnd

Hi

I had a LFT test done this week. My GP has agreed to do them every 3 months going forward (I have another condition that needs monitoring anyway).

Given I was in rehab for a month and couldn't drink then, and also it represented a very significant (and expensive) commitment to sobriety, I am inclined to try my luck in May. My only concern is that they won't have processed this before August so I won't know then whether to put in a new application. I have had regular contact with my GP since August and she is supportive.

flshfrnd
If it was me I would start to apply in January 3 months before you went sober.

Aslong as you have your Doctor onside and some LFT’s I reckon you would be ok! The key part is a GP who will back you up.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off