What is the actual offence and insurance questions

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sotonman

Hello all.

So far I have found this site useful, I have the following two questions as I've just phoned the insurance company about what will happen after my court case as I have named drivers,

they asked what the actual offence was and what I was being charged for. I did not know, all I have is my bail grant sheet and on it where it says charges it says.

on xx/xx/xxxx at xxxxxxx in xxxxxxxxx you drove a motor vehicle, namely xxxxxxxx vrn xxxxxxx on a road, namely xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx, after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in your breath, namely 58 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath exceeded the prescribed limit.

contrary to the section 5(1)(a) of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to he road traffic offenders act 1988.

i only ask as it seems the offence of driving over the prescribed limit seems harsher than unfit to drive.

also, I spoke to my insurance company and I'm glad I did, they said I would have to get a new policy in the named drivers name. More importantly they said if I had phoned after the ban had started they would of cancelled the policy, obviously this will have even more impact in the future regarding cancelled policies, so it it be better if on the morning of my court case or eh night before I phone up and cancell the policy myself and then start a new one in my partners name only and then ask for prove of my no claims bonus which I presume I won't get this years added to it. But it's six years so I want to keep it.

i look forward to any hearing from anyone with regard to the actual offence and what code will be issued after and would cancelling my own policy be a better idea.

Sotonman

Hello all.

So far I have found this site useful, I have the following two questions as I've just phoned the insurance company about what will happen after my court case as I have named drivers,

they asked what the actual offence was and what I was being charged for. I did not know, all I have is my bail grant sheet and on it where it says charges it says.

on xx/xx/xxxx at xxxxxxx in xxxxxxxxx you drove a motor vehicle, namely xxxxxxxx vrn xxxxxxx on a road, namely xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx, after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in your breath, namely 58 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath exceeded the prescribed limit.

contrary to the section 5(1)(a) of the road traffic act 1988 and schedule 2 to he road traffic offenders act 1988.

i only ask as it seems the offence of driving over the prescribed limit seems harsher than unfit to drive.

also, I spoke to my insurance company and I'm glad I did, they said I would have to get a new policy in the named drivers name. More importantly they said if I had phoned after the ban had started they would of cancelled the policy, obviously this will have even more impact in the future regarding cancelled policies, so it it be better if on the morning of my court case or eh night before I phone up and cancell the policy myself and then start a new one in my partners name only and then ask for prove of my no claims bonus which I presume I won't get this years added to it. But it's six years so I want to keep it.

i look forward to any hearing from anyone with regard to the actual offence and what code will be issued after and would cancelling my own policy be a better idea.

Sotonman

Section 5(1)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 is driving or attempting to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit. In other words, drink driving. The endorsement code on your driving licence upon conviction of this offence would be DR10.

Upon conviction of this offence with a breath reading of 58 magistrates sentencing guidelines suggest a 12 to 16 month driving disqualification and a Band C Fine, the majority of first time offenders (presuming this is your first offence) are usually offered the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course, completing the course awards a reduction of up to 25% off the length of any disqualification imposed.

I would advise cancelling the policy yourself and taking a new one out before you are disqualified. Regarding your no claims bonus, please see here.

Our guide to appearing at magistrates court for drink driving offences may prove useful to you, let us know how you get on at court.

Thank you for a full answer, I will cancel it myself

I will post up next week about my experience, I'm quite scared at the moment but with each day comes gradual acceptance of what is going to happen.

Cheers

sotonman

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off