What happens at a medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

KJB

Hi, I wonder if anyone is able to explain exactly what happens during a DVLA medical please? I am a career for my partner who bipolar so is already on a 3 year licence, however last March 2020, his licence was revoked For 6months due to misuse of alcohol. He has an appointment for his medical on 22 March 2021, but is worried sick about what happens, the letter mentions removing clothing as well as a blood test. He has stuck to 14 units a week now for over 12 months and his last alcoholic drink was 3 weeks ago on 20 February. thank you to anyone that can help

Please try and put his mind to rest... it really isn't as bad as it sounds. The doctor will just have a general chat about the form he needs to fill out, ask a few questions, weigh him. The only clothes removal I had to do was lift my t-shirt up. The medic simply feels around the stomach / liver area. That's it. It's actually a very relaxed, painless experience. Compared to dealing with the DVLA anyway!

Please try and put his mind to rest... it really isn't as bad as it sounds. The doctor will just have a general chat about the form he needs to fill out, ask a few questions, weigh him. The only clothes removal I had to do was lift my t-shirt up. The medic simply feels around the stomach / liver area. That's it. It's actually a very relaxed, painless experience. Compared to dealing with the DVLA anyway!
Thank you so much, that’s reassuring, really helpful, much appreciated

and yes the DVLA are not the easiest organisation to deal with!!

The DVLA medical is really nothing to worry about. I was asked to complete some forms (outside the surgery due to social distancing) once I completed those I handed in to the receptionist. Once called to the GP I answered a few questions, I was weighed, had a sight test 15 and then a quick inspection of my abdomen, then blood taken and that was it. It took about 10-15 minutes and nothing at all to worry about.

DVLA medical for HRO - had this week.... just relax! I've had worse visits to the dentist!

Answer questions on a form - mainly yes/no but some ask for dates (month and year generally ok). Took blood - listened to heart, sight test ( i disclosed i need glasses to drive) and all done.

My previous medical was all of the above, a quick tummy feel (lift of t-shirt only) around the liver and Blood pressure and completed.

I hope this goes a little way to removing any anxiety - as humans we always "panic" a bit when we have a "test" to complete, regardless of what the test is.

GP's do do slightly different things as i have found out from other experiences on here. I can only give MY advice. Be truthful on the answers because if they do a follow up GP check any lies will come back to haunt you. Let us know how it goes so you can comfort other users :)

I had my medical yesterday, as said above it just consisted of filling out the forms in a socially distanced tent outside the surgery and telling the assistant my weight and height, the doctor then called me from his office while I waited in said tent to go through my answers and ask some questions about my general health, then I was asked to go up to the doctor with my sleeve rolled up prepared for the blood sample to be taken. Now I don't know if he was in a rush or something but he literally just took my blood and money and sent me on my way, he didn't feel around my stomach or look at my eyes or anything so you never know it might be the same for your partner! 😊
Tell them not to worry and good luck!

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support and advice. It’s certainly helping to set our minds at rest for the coming med exam.

Quick update on above query regarding DVLA medical. Partner had his medical yesterday, it was like you said, the doctor went through the questionnaire, and asked other questions re glasses prescription, weight and meds including for his bipolar before taking a blood sample.
Doctor said it was taking about 3 weeks for sample to be analysed & sent through to DVLA, so should hear something after that. Fingers crossed!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off