Were you in the papers?

Convicted Driver Insurance
I was nearing retirement when I received my first ban. I found out later that I should have told my professional body as this was construed as Gross Misconduct or similar and in the past people have been expelled from the organisation for the same offence.

Luna

It really is a horrible situation for a lot of people out there - almost like 'double jeopardy'. The DD gets arrested and suffers the trauma of a court appearance, then once that is out of the way, they have to go through the stress of an employment misconduct probe that might result in dismissal. Not good.

I worked for a smallish company at the time of my arrest. Because it involved driving, I was on a hiding to nothing, so I just resigned there and then. The company would have done a short misconduct hearing in front of the director if I had dug my heels in but I knew I was getting my P45 either way, so I made it easier for them to simply go.

CJ

Yes luckily I'm still employed in the same nursing post. Prior to this offence I had no other convictions or misconduct incidences. My work have been accommodating and supportive for which has been the most difficult time of my life since 2019 and Im not just talking about the drink driving. X

That's great news. Funnily enough, when I took part in my drink driving course, the trainer stated the most common profession of his class candidates are nurses!!!!

CJ

Court tomorrow… feeling full of dread today and can’t think straight. By the sounds of it, this isn’t just going to be over by the end of the hearing. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this bad for such a long period of time, I’m not sure how much more I can take. The waiting, the worrying, the catastrophising, the shame and the guilt for one awful relapse after is breaking. I read that if you want to beat a monster (alcohol addiction for me) you have to find a scarier one… I’ve found it in this.

In response to the above stories about the media and peoples responses, I’m so sorry you had to go through that and hope that you are left to move on with your lives. I’m saddened that you have been subject to that!

Court tomorrow… feeling full of dread today and can’t think straight. By the sounds of it, this isn’t just going to be over by the end of the hearing. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this bad for such a long period of time, I’m not sure how much more I can take. The waiting, the worrying, the catastrophising, the shame and the guilt for one awful relapse after is breaking. I read that if you want to beat a monster (alcohol addiction for me) you have to find a scarier one… I’ve found it in this.

In response to the above stories about the media and peoples responses, I’m so sorry you had to go through that and hope that you are left to move on with your lives. I’m saddened that you have been subject to that!
If you want someone to chat to kerry I'm here. Im right with you with those feelings. Please be aware my case with the media was a rarity I think. Once it is over it will be a relief tomorrow. I remember feeling obviously gutted about the ban but relieved the court case was done and I could just get on with it. Time passes and now I am 3 months from the end of my ban. It will pass honestly. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Let us know how u get on.

Luna

It really is a horrible situation for a lot of people out there - almost like 'double jeopardy'. The DD gets arrested and suffers the trauma of a court appearance, then once that is out of the way, they have to go through the stress of an employment misconduct probe that might result in dismissal. Not good.

I worked for a smallish company at the time of my arrest. Because it involved driving, I was on a hiding to nothing, so I just resigned there and then. The company would have done a short misconduct hearing in front of the director if I had dug my heels in but I knew I was getting my P45 either way, so I made it easier for them to simply go.

CJ
I was working at the time as well and I also thought I'd be fired. But strangely enough HR were more concerned that by doing this it would be seen as discriminating against those who couldn't drive. The fact I had a criminal conviction didn't seem to be an issue. I resigned about 9 months later anyway as I was still drinking heavily and it was causing me and more importantly other people problems at work. Since I have fully retired I have stopped drinking completely and try and live as stress free a life as I can. Before that I was a Professional in the Construction Industry and all the fighting with A Type personalities had really gotten to me.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off