Were you in the papers?

Convicted Driver Insurance
That is usually the case. The people that were most understanding were those who had known me for decades and realised that for about 7 years I had been going through a hard time and started drinking far in excess of what I normally did.
I can really relate to that. Luckily, my true friends have bern amazingly supportive. X

Unfortunately it happened to me. Photographed as I came out of court and the whole thing was in the local paper, and on the local paper Facebook page 3 days later. Lots of comments suggesting I needed the death penalty, that I wasn't fit to be on the nursing register, I needed my hands and feet chopped off so I couldn't drive ever again etc etc. I found this extremely distressing as well as them posting my street name and the car I was driving. This was January 2020 and I am just about to receive CBT for the consequences of my actions the night I decided to get in the car. I would say it happens but my case seems to be a rarity.

Unfortunately it happened to me. Photographed as I came out of court and the whole thing was in the local paper, and on the local paper Facebook page 3 days later. Lots of comments suggesting I needed the death penalty, that I wasn't fit to be on the nursing register, I needed my hands and feet chopped off so I couldn't drive ever again etc etc. I found this extremely distressing as well as them posting my street name and the car I was driving. This was January 2020 and I am just about to receive CBT for the consequences of my actions the night I decided to get in the car. I would say it happens but my case seems to be a rarity.
That is awful - sorry you had to hear such vile comments! Whatever happened to ‘be kind’?! Online abuse needs to be tackled and made an offence. How on earth do people in the public eye put up with it? Hope CBT works for you x

I hit the press Nov 2019 as my name is unusual & paper found an old press release I had done with photo re work
Had job title & nursing as heading - then everything said in court 1/2 page photo plus address car & reg etc
Clearly slow news day + the local rag had a wide distribution & is still on their web page
Thankfully their web page you can’t leave comments
My solicitor said I was unlucky as nothing re my job was said in court

The gutter press have a lot to answer for.
Hope the CBT helps

If you are in the papers would it be the local papers of the town of the court you attended?

or regardless of the court your in the local paper of home town?
A lot of local papers are part of same chain so I guess that’s the factor
It all depends what else they have to put in the paper so hopefully something else will happen

Hi,

For anyone to say that is shocking! As you are a nurse, you help people in need, BUT you made a mistake that does not EVER give anyone the rite too say that to anyone who made a daft mistake, let alone a nurse who HELP's people in need. They should be ashamed of themselves!

At one point we will all need a Doctor or Nurse....they should think about that before saying nasty statements.

Keep your head up.

Regards,

Stu

Last edited:
Hi,

For anyone to say that is shocking! As you are a nurseyou help people in need, BUT you made a mistake that does not EVER give anyone the rite too say that to anyone, let alone a nurse who HELP's people in need. They should be ashamed of themselves!

At one point, if not many. We will all need a Doctor or a Nurse. They should remember that before saying terrible statements like that.

Keep your head up.

Regards,

Stu

Hi,

For anyone to say that is shocking! As you are a nurse, you help people in need, BUT you made a mistake that does not EVER give anyone the rite too say that to anyone who made a daft mistake, let alone a nurse who HELP's people in need. They should be ashamed of themselves!

At one point we will all need a Doctor or Nurse....they should think about that before saying nasty tastements.

Keep your head up.

Regards,

Stu
Thank you. I may be a healthcare professionals but we still make mistakes too, we are human! Thankfully my managers have supported me and I am now sober after my alcohol intake progressed after losing my dad in 2019. Hopefully the right help will help me move forward as its still a bit of a struggle daily. 🙏

I found that I was judged the hardest by those who have since also shown to have a drink issue.

Mary

I call these people the soap box brigade. Fortunately, in the two and a half years since my own conviction, I have only come across one person who voiced his dislike about drink drivers.

Drink driving is such an easy offence to commit, and sometimes people can commit it just through lack of knowledge if they have had X number of drinks the night before and get caught on their way to work the following morning.

I would go so far to say, that millions of adults with a driving licence, have committed this offence at least once but have never been caught! Several members of my own family, have perhaps sailed close to the wind over the years with their drinking and driving habits.

My own father, used to grace his local pub maybe once a week and have a couple of pints before driving the short distance home. I have never seen my father drunk and he very rarely drinks anyway, but even two pints of best bitter would put him borderline or just over if he was breathalysed. Fortunately, he doesn't risk it anymore.

When I did my drink driving reduction course, the trainer stated the only people who are more than justified to voice their criticism of drink drivers are the ones who have lost loved ones because of a drink driver. This is perfectly understandable.

As someone once said, the other people who have never been personally affected by a drink driving tragedy, but choose to stand on their soap box, invariby have their own skeletons hidden in the closet that they would never share with others!

I just take any criticism with a pinch of salt and don't let it bother me anymore. Human beings are not perfect and we all make mistakes, but sadly a very small number of people out there behave like the pot that calls the kettle black.

CJ

sillynurse

CBT? Is this some kind of internal misconduct thing at work?

This is one of the reasons I don't use Facebook - friggin horrible site. There are two many keyboard warriors or FB Karen's out there who spend half their lives banging the world to rights from the privacy of their sad little lives.

Poor old Caroline Flack was sent to her grave because of the Facebook and twitter mentality, where they decided to air their opinions about her. All I would say is that the FB minions are unimportant and irrelevant.

This site is hundred times more accommodating and friendly than the tosh you find on Facew**k.

CJ

sillynurse

This is one of the reasons I don't use Facebook - friggin horrible site. There are two many keyboard warriors or FB Karen's out there who spend half their lives banging the world to rights from the privacy of their sad little lives.

Poor old Caroline Flack was sent to her grave because of the Facebook and twitter mentality, where they decided to air their opinions about her. All I would say is that the FB minions are unimportant and irrelevant.

This site is hundred times more accommodating and friendly than the tosh you find on Facew**k.

CJ
Hi,

I totally agree with CJ. But karma is a B***H. When it happens to them they will know how it feels. (And may come here asking for advice!)

It is a very easy mistake to make when it is the following day.

I know the pandemic flipped alot of people to hit the drink, sadly I have watched alot of people go down that route.

Standing in line outside the supermarket 2 metres apart with masks on....how many drivers would have been over the limit from the night before?

Kind Regards,

Stu

sillynurse

CJ
CBT is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and is used to help you deal with your mental and emotional problems.

sillynurse

CJ
CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy to help with my mental health which has taken a bashing since my conviction. I've agreed with my GP to get some help in feeling a bit better about myself.

CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy to help with my mental health which has taken a bashing since my conviction. I've agreed with my GP to get some help in feeling a bit better about myself.

sillynurse

My apologises - from reading your post about being in the nursing profession and the phrase 'receiving consequences of my actions', I wasn't 100% sure if the term 'CBT' related to some misconduct hearing with the letter 'T' standing for tribunal.

Unfortunately, some professions automatically involve an internal misconduct hearing if an employee is convicted of drink driving. Teachers are subject to this and I assume maybe those in the medical profession are too?

CJ

sillynurse

My apologises - from reading your post about being in the nursing profession and the phrase 'receiving consequences of my actions', I wasn't 100% sure if the term 'CBT' related to some misconduct hearing with the letter 'T' standing for tribunal.

Unfortunately, some professions automatically involve an internal misconduct hearing if an employee is convicted of drink driving. Teachers are subject to this and I assume maybe those in the medical profession are too?

CJ
Yes nurse have the NMC to deal with and dr the GMC
It’s a very hard process to go through if they fully investigate it can be a formal hearing.

sillynurse

CJ
Yes I had to inform the nmc about the conviction. They were a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the press 😒

Yes I had to inform the nmc about the conviction. They were a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the press 😒

sillynurse

I take it you are still employed in your original nursing role? When I did my drink driving course in May 2019, there was a nurse sat on my table. She did mention she was spoken to by a senior doctor about the conviction, but she was still working as a nurse.

Some professional organisations look dimly on drink driving and unfortunately if you work in a certain profession you ultimately have to endure a misconduct hearing/meeting. This almost feels like two bites of the cherry to me - you have suffered the stress of a court appearance, then you have to suffer a kangaroo court with your employers.

My own drink driving cost me my job at the time. Fortunately, I wasn't at work when I got arrested, but the job I did involved driving from A to B. I spoke to the Operations Manager at the firm and agreed to resign on the spot. No driving licence meant I couldn't do the job, so they would have had to dismiss me anyway.

It wasn't a job I was happy with anyway, but thankfully I am doing a more rewarding role these days.

CJ

sillynurse

I take it you are still employed in your original nursing role? When I did my drink driving course in May 2019, there was a nurse sat on my table. She did mention she was spoken to by a senior doctor about the conviction, but she was still working as a nurse.

Some professional organisations look dimly on drink driving and unfortunately if you work in a certain profession you ultimately have to endure a misconduct hearing/meeting. This almost feels like two bites of the cherry to me - you have suffered the stress of a court appearance, then you have to suffer a kangaroo court with your employers.

My own drink driving cost me my job at the time. Fortunately, I wasn't at work when I got arrested, but the job I did involved driving from A to B. I spoke to the Operations Manager at the firm and agreed to resign on the spot. No driving licence meant I couldn't do the job, so they would have had to dismiss me anyway.

It wasn't a job I was happy with anyway, but thankfully I am doing a more rewarding role these days.

CJ
I was nearing retirement when I received my first ban. I found out later that I should have told my professional body as this was construed as Gross Misconduct or similar and in the past people have been expelled from the organisation for the same offence.

sillynurse

CJ
Yes luckily I'm still employed in the same nursing post. Prior to this offence I had no other convictions or misconduct incidences. My work have been accommodating and supportive for which has been the most difficult time of my life since 2019 and Im not just talking about the drink driving. X

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off