Were you in the papers?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Shoegal

Well Known Member
I have court next week and I’m terrified that the press will be there and that I’ll be in the paper. How many if you ended up in the news? Trying to prepare myself. Thank you x

I have court next week and I’m terrified that the press will be there and that I’ll be in the paper. How many if you ended up in the news? Trying to prepare myself. Thank you x
I had the same fear, spent weeks worrying myself sick. In reality the news have much bigger things to report on so chances are very slim so try not to worry about it.

The main thing it to say as little as possible as possible about your personal circumstances.
It will make very little difference to the length of your ban but if the story has ‘human interest’, then they are more likely to run the story.
You could describe your occupation as trainer or educator when they ask for your occupation, this is far less interesting that Teacher. Also your school will be upset if their name is mentioned.
It can also depend on where you live. If you are in a big city then yes, they will probably have more interesting things to report. (Don’t count on being in the clear if there is no reporter in court because they can ask the court for a summary of this weeks cases)
Provincial papers are different, they thrive on gossipy stories of wrongdoing. I remember someone on a drink drive course saying that “The papers never report drink driving” (he was from a city) I told him that when I used to visit our caravan in Aberystwyth I saw a story on the front page of the local paper about litter being deposited, complete with a photo of the offender arriving for court!

I instructed my solicitor not to mention my job or employer & he instead just made reference to character references referring to good character
I said nothing apart from confirm name & guilty etc
My solicitor said there were no press in the court that day - it was very quiet courts
I hit local paper - every word read by cps & solicitor reported with the heading of my post bad photo - a work photo ! We tracked the photo & outdated information about my post ( slight change had occurred in title) from an old press release we did from work
How the paper got that level of detail from the court remains a mystery (Price any thought as it still irritates me )
Thankfully my manager & top of the organisation were aware of the case going to court & took no action

Walking down the street the next day having seen my face in the free paper was one of the hardest things then to be on my main base a couple of weeks later was awful I certainly found out who cared. I got texts from people I used to work with offering lifts etc. But walking in my village etc was hard - but you carry on as you have to. Covid then arrived so we all were home based

All I can say is say little, get solicitor if you have one to keep job out etc
I was unlucky & last year we were doing a press release & the paper wanted me to write an article , I think my work press office ( new staff member I was dealing with) wondered why I was saying no way !!
But if you get in - it blows over eventually

the community I live in all know and have been gossiping since it happened. I just can’t face any more if I’m honest. X

No but this has made me realise that I COULD have which is the point I suppose. I feel such remorse and shame. I can’t bear to go anywhere atm x

No but this has made me realise that I COULD have which is the point I suppose. I feel such remorse and shame. I can’t bear to go anywhere atm x
Hi ace,you've made a mistake.we all make mistakes at some point or another.the point is simple a mistake.youve not hurt,crashed or killed anybody.people will allways gossip it human nature.let them get on with it.walk tall and be proud of yourself and what you have achieved in life.life will be tough without your wheels but time will fly bye and you will adapt.if you can keep your job and pay the bills this is a great start.it does get easier as time goes by.all the best.i know it's hard to believe right now but you will be a stronger person in 12 months time.

Hi ace,you've made a mistake.we all make mistakes at some point or another.the point is simple a mistake.youve not hurt,crashed or killed anybody.people will allways gossip it human nature.let them get on with it.walk tall and be proud of yourself and what you have achieved in life.life will be tough without your wheels but time will fly bye and you will adapt.if you can keep your job and pay the bills this is a great start.it does get easier as time goes by.all the best.i know it's hard to believe right now but you will be a stronger person in 12 months time.
Thank you. I am already wishing I could fast forward a year. I think I’m looking at 2 years at least . I blew 103 on road and couldn’t blow at station as I was in such a state 😢

Yes fella at least two years and a community order.dlva medical and a criminal record.nobody needs to know your reading if you know what I mean.make you days count don't count the days.

Feels like I’m going into lockdown again...
I'm really sorry to hear you are feeling like this. Just a couple of weeks ago I posted on here how awful I was feeling after being convicted 2 months ago. Since then my mental state has improved, font get me wrong it's still hard and I'm still finding my strength but slowly the acceptance is forced upon u and u just have no choice but to get through each day. I have the same feeling as u that everyone else is coming out of lockdown and I've just entered it but slowly slowly I'm starting to see that it wasn't a murder charge. There's so many factors surround your feelings right now. Guilt, same, shock, disbelief, I could go on. You need to deal with each emotion at a time and just get through it. One of my greatest comforts is this site, you realise that the majority of people on here are every day good people that have made a mistake has devistated them, so you find that you are not that alien after all

I was worried sick about being in the papers but I wasn't. But then again it was quite a boring story, slightly over the limit, no reckless driving andstopped for something silly. Also like Price said because I live in a city aswell, villages and rural places tend to have less exciting things to report on

Thank you Louise. This site is really helping me atm. It’s also scaring me as I didn’t realise that I would have to have a medical etc to get my license back. It is informing me though which I guess is a good thing. There is so much to sort out and face that some moments are overwhelming.
Thank you for replying to me. I’m sorry you are going through the same but it’s good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel in some shape. I think once I know what I’m facing in terms of a ban I will cope better.
Take care x

The papers were there for me inside and outside of court. I made the front pages of local news but most people knew anyway and I would say 90% were supportive. The most common phrase I heard (my accident was the morning after) ”this could have been me.”

I have to stay I do still feel shame now - gratitude that it all wasn’t so much worse - but shame that it happened in the first place.

The main issue I had was with the family of the people who I crashed into who wouldn’t leave me alone - turning up to stare at me outside my place of work, following me to work events and posting things about me on fb/on mutual friends statuses etc, I ended up speaking to the police who had a quiet word with them.

Thank you Louise. This site is really helping me atm. It’s also scaring me as I didn’t realise that I would have to have a medical etc to get my license back. It is informing me though which I guess is a good thing. There is so much to sort out and face that some moments are overwhelming.
Thank you for replying to me. I’m sorry you are going through the same but it’s good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel in some shape. I think once I know what I’m facing in terms of a ban I will cope better.
Take care x
I experienced all of this 2 years ago when I was sentenced . The whole experience was horrific and I was a nervous wreck . I was very unwell emotionally, and alcohol was an issue . I can honestly say that nothing turned out as badly as I had imagined. I am now hoping fir the return of my license when the disqualification expires in 2 weeks. I have attended the medical and hope the DVLA will process things quickly. I was immensely embarrassed / ashamed/guilty and of course still feel some of that . However there is a limit to how much we can castigate ourselves . As for those who stand in judgement : they truly are not worth bothering about . Also , if you get offered the opportunity to do the Drivers Rehabilitation Course , do so . It reduces the length of ban , but more than that , it was excellent.

If you are in the papers would it be the local papers of the town of the court you attended?

or regardless of the court your in the local paper of home town?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off