Waiting time when booking medicals

Convicted Driver Insurance

Gettingwiser

Hi, I hope some people can share their experiences. I'm trying to help a doctor who provides DVLA HRO medicals and we get lots of questions from drivers who are baffled by the processes etc. The problem is we don't get much in the way of info on how everything works either! This forum has proved brilliant to help us help them through what is a very variable experience and too often overly stressful process. The clinic is starting to get more and more requests from drivers outside our usual catchment area. This seems to be due to excessive waiting times but we are trying to see if this is just a localised issue or if it is becoming more of a problem as GP surgeries are seemingly in meltdown and have big recruitment problems. If some members would be happy to share their experiences of what the waiting time was from them contacting the GP surgery and being able to get the medical that would be great. As far as we can work out there is no simple way of finding out who could be a quicker, relatively local alternative. Any experiences welcome..

Gettingwiser

My recent DVLA medical was conducted by a private doctor who had an office in a communal commercial premises on a business park. I didn't actually attend an appointment in a traditional GP surgery.

I suspect the DVLA are using doctors in the private sector now to deal with the volume of medical cases. I wouldn't like to know how much Dr X who conducted my appointment charges the DVLA for his services.

But to answer your question - I booked my appointment with Dr X's receptionist on the 14th December 2022 and the earliest appointment available was the 16th January 2023. Please factor the Christmas and New Year shut down in this timescale too.

CJ

As soon as I received a list of surgeries doing HRO medicals from the DVLA, I called the nearest one and got an appointment for, if memory serves, a month or so from then.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off