waiting for medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Kate78

Hi, wondering if anyone is in same boat due to covid-19. I applied to renew licence on 8 September (im a HRO so need medical), and wondering how long they take to respond?
Next week will be one month since applying, but Im starting to think that maybe they are not contacting people to go to medicals?, which is ok given the current climate but it would be good to know if they are issuing medical appointments in 2020 or will it be 2021 now?

Last edited:
DVLA are still requiring medicals, but they seem to be not bothering with routinely contacting your GP unless there are clear issues from the medical or the form you fill in.
if you do not hear from them by next week, chase them up.

Hi, wondering if anyone is in same boat due to covid-19. I applied to renew licence on 8 September (im a HRO so need medical), and wondering how long they take to respond?
Next week will be one month since applying, but Im starting to think that maybe they are not contacting people to go to medicals?, which is ok given the current climate but it would be good to know if they are issuing medical appointments in 2020 or will it be 2021 now?

Hi Kate78, They do need chasing up. I had my medical yesterday as HRO. Brief as I can, I submitted my renewal early June 20. DVLA contacted my GP first, before sending a letter to me stating they require a medical. This is my third year of renewal and in my case the DVLA have contacted my GP each time before the medical is requested. I don't know why in my case it has been this way round. In September I had a letter from the DVLA saying they are not doing medicals at the moment, will be in touch. So I contacted a DVLA Dr in a local City, checked if they were doing HRO medicals, then phoned the DVLA - informed them the DVLA medical Dr has appointments. DVLA responded ok that's fine we'll get the dept who arranges medicals to send your paperwork to the Dr I requested (It was sent the next day and posted to me). It was really straightforward, but clearly would not have happened if I had not been proactive. Incidentally, I got the medical booked within 48 hours of phoning the DVLA Dr and hopefully will have a renewed licence within the next 4 weeks. The last two renewals I've done my CDT result has been 0.5%. Most of the waiting time I've experienced since June has been a result of my paperwork sitting in a queue to be assessed at the DVLA.

Hope that's of some use and good luck!

Ive been to collect my forms from the post office this morning, im not due to send in while the 10th October, but i will send in before as i desperately need this medical doing, my license is due back 10th January and dont want this ban to go on any longer than need be!

If your ban is up on 10th January, the earliest you can apply is 12th October, not the 10th as applications can be made 90 days before, not 3 months.
If you sen it today, it might be sods law that they open it early next week and just send it back.... send it next Tuesday / wednesday

Last edited:
Hi Kate78, They do need chasing up. I had my medical yesterday as HRO. Brief as I can, I submitted my renewal early June 20. DVLA contacted my GP first, before sending a letter to me stating they require a medical.

But how can the DVLA contact your GP before the medical? Surely they would have to know who your GP is? I dont even know who mine is as I havent been for 6 years let alone the DVLA knowing. I dont even think the surgery is even there anymore!

In my case the DVLA sent me a DR1 form 3 months before my renewal licence was due to run out. This questionnaire included me submitting details about my current GP. After receiving this the DVLA sent an M1 form to my GP to complete. Then a letter to me requesting I attend a medical. Is it your first HRO application after a ban? Sorry if I misunderstood this and you have not received the questionnaire yet. Mine is an annual review to check I am still 'fit to drive' following a ban end. However, the process of chasing up the DVLA after sending paperwork can still be useful. I believe every case is different and GP's are not always contacted but certainly on my forms GP details were asked for.

ok, thanks for that Ekam... it certainly sounds a lot more complicated than I initially thought!
Ive sent off the required documents/ID and cheque on 8 September and theyve returned everything but nothing as of yet to indicate what the next stage of applying is... Im assuming a medical appointment?.... but have not even received any details of that.
Im thinking I better register with a local GP now, so I have a name of a doctor that they can contact (but I fail to see what that would achieve TBH, as I would be a new patient).

ok, thanks for that Ekam... it certainly sounds a lot more complicated than I initially thought!
Ive sent off the required documents/ID and cheque on 8 September and theyve returned everything but nothing as of yet to indicate what the next stage of applying is... Im assuming a medical appointment?.... but have not even received any details of that.
Im thinking I better register with a local GP now, so I have a name of a doctor that they can contact (but I fail to see what that would achieve TBH, as I would be a new patient).
Your new doctor will ask for details of your last GP, and then obtain your records from there. They will show no visits for years, which helps to show no medical issues with alcohol.

Ive been to collect my forms from the post office this morning, im not due to send in while the 10th October, but i will send in before as i desperately need this medical doing, my license is due back 10th January and dont want this ban to go on any longer than need be!

My own ban is up on the 13th December and I posted my form off on Thursday 17th September, so it was just with the 90 days. Been two weeks today since I visited the post box and not heard back yet.

CJ

I was due to attend a medical in April and it was cancelled when Covid really kicked in, I’ve been getting letters every six weeks saying sorry for the delay.. still not doing medicals. I applied for a new job that requires my full license so I rang them saying it’s getting a bit ridiculous as it was now affecting my job(current and possibly new) my medical application was submitted September 2019!) and they told me to contact the independent doctor they told me to see in April to see if they would see me and they did, so DVLA sent them the forms they needed! So they are seeing people you just need to be firm with DVLA

I was due to attend a medical in April and it was cancelled when Covid really kicked in, I’ve been getting letters every six weeks saying sorry for the delay.. still not doing medicals. I applied for a new job that requires my full license so I rang them saying it’s getting a bit ridiculous as it was now affecting my job(current and possibly new) my medical application was submitted September 2019!) and they told me to contact the independent doctor they told me to see in April to see if they would see me and they did, so DVLA sent them the forms they needed! So they are seeing people you just need to be firm with DVLA

Chewpot

The DVLA are a******s. They seem to be oblivious to the fact their actions are impacting severely on people's lives.

CJ

Chewpot

The DVLA are a******s. They seem to be oblivious to the fact their actions are impacting severely on people's lives.

CJ

To be fair mate, all this is as a result of our actions. The system is probably deliberately painful to drum it into us never ever to think about doing it again. Part of the sentence I think.

To be fair mate, all this is as a result of our actions. The system is probably deliberately painful to drum it into us never ever to think about doing it again. Part of the sentence I think.
I wasn’t a drink driver just a comment in my neurologist report saying I sometimes had a glass of wine to deal with pain

I'll have it mate, but the DVLA behave like Magistrates themselves at times. I've read threads on here about people being put in very precarious situations because they are being kept from the road longer than necessary - clearly affecting employment which leads to financial problems and paying mortgates etc. It is like a prisoner being denied parole at the end of his sentence because the prison governor has a bad day!!!!

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off