Update: Licence re-issued

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dannyjam

Hi guys,

Like many of you I have sought refuge in this forum during a horrible chapter in my life. So thought that I would take the time to update on my situation as there are many threads on here that have stories with no conclusions!

The Original Incident/Conviction:

See here: https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/drink-driving-sentences.6854/post-148962

Paperwork Time frames:

Convicted March 3rd (2020) - course deadline October (2020)
Booked course for July with Aspire
Course cancelled due to CoVid
Course Rescheduled for September (cutting it fine!)
Aspire notified court after 5 days of course completion
Court notified DVLA after 2 weeks (did daily licence checks online and noticed the date had reduced by 3 months)
Sent my D1 off on day 2 of my 56 day (non-HRO) window.
Licence came in the post today after 7 days waiting.
Back on the road December 3rd. (Haven't drunk since.)

Insurance Consequences:

My insurance was Fully Comp before this at about £350. I'm now looking at £800 for my cheapest quote.

There is now a Third Party accident claim on my head of £4600 vehicle damage + an, as of yet, unresolved injury claim. I was with MoreThan, who DO have a "we will come after you if it was because of drink" clause in their policy exclusions. I'm dreading it. It could be a huge sum. But I don't own a property or have any relevant assets. No wife and kids. CCJ's and Bankruptcy don't scare me. I'll just have to deal with it when it comes.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the process thus far. Things will get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPR
Mine was
Incident may 2919
Court Nov 2019
TCC February 2020 - just pre lockdown
Sent form for licence with copy of TCC course & letter from dvla when returning licence
Got licence one week later
Drive end on November

But I will be careful with the insurance companies I consider - the forum names a few to avoid
Will use a broker as the on line sites do not give you the discount for the course

Hope you get advice over the claim against you

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off