Travelling: How has it affected you?

Convicted Driver Insurance
one of the options below is the granting of a record suspension. The rehabilitation of offenders is equivalent to a record suspension, so the above website would also suggest you are no longer inadmissible once this is the case...

Wondering if anyone has actual experience of an application of this rule. I don’t think I’m interpreting it incorrectly...

What you can do
Depending on the crime, how long ago it was and how you have behaved since, you may still be allowed to come to Canada, if you:

that information is correct, but it is in respect of a visa application. The ETA form is an almost instant yes /no assessment so you have no opportunity to “convince an immigration Officer.” The only way you can do that is via a visa application, or maybe, if you are brave enough, turn up at the border and argue your case there and then.... with the real risk of being refused entry and being returned to the U.K.!

that information is correct, but it is in respect of a visa application. The ETA form is an almost instant yes /no assessment so you have no opportunity to “convince an immigration Officer.” The only way you can do that is via a visa application, or maybe, if you are brave enough, turn up at the border and argue your case there and then.... with the real risk of being refused entry and being returned to the U.K.!

The ETA being a simple yes/no does not seem to reflect the information I have read. If you select yes on an ETA form in relation to a criminal record, I have been lead to believe it asks you to provide details. From what I understand it is then processed with reference to the rehabilitation of offenders act which is equivalent to a canadian record suspension, to assess your admissibility.

There doesn’t seem to be a visa application alternative for the above process...

Sorry, you are right about a visa, that only relates to the USA and there are no visa requirements for a UK citizen to enter Canada, but they can refuse admission. I still feel, based on what I have seen, that there is a 10 year bar on entry with a drink driving conviiction. Apply and let us know on here to help clarify the position......

I applied via esta to be safe. Was able to answer no to most of the questions and declared my conviction, no issues. Did my homework beforehand and knew I wouldn't get a hire car, but I chanced my arm anyway and was told politely no chance lol

Pity about Canada, I will be one of the two family members who won't be able to go due to previous criminal convictions :-(

Did the ESTA application allow you to declare your DD conviction without ticking Yes to the ‘crime involving serious harm’ question? They allowed you to travel on ESTA without applying for a visa?

I have just returned from a holiday in Greece. Previous to my trip I'd made direct contact with loads of car rental firms, primarily the 'well known ones' Avis, Sixt, Hertz etc...regarding car rental with points on my UK licence (I've got 10). Akin to what Price has explained (maybe not on this thread) all were perplexed with what I was detailing i.e. 'Can I hire off you with points on my UK licence?' The UK points system/endorsements was totally, utterly & emphatically alien to them. All said as long as you have a current/valid driving licence, book with a credit card in your name and have ID - rental isn't an issue. And it wasn't. I hired a car for7 days with Thrifty (part of the Hertz group) with no issues whatsoever.

I have just returned from a holiday in Greece. Previous to my trip I'd made direct contact with loads of car rental firms, primarily the 'well known ones' Avis, Sixt, Hertz etc...regarding car rental with points on my UK licence (I've got 10). Akin to what Price has explained (maybe not on this thread) all were perplexed with what I was detailing i.e. 'Can I hire off you with points on my UK licence?' The UK points system/endorsements was totally, utterly & emphatically alien to them. All said as long as you have a current/valid driving licence, book with a credit card in your name and have ID - rental isn't an issue. And it wasn't. I hired a car for7 days with Thrifty (part of the Hertz group) with no issues whatsoever.

But with Drink driving, you don't obtain points for the offence?!

I think it's more in terms of the insurance should anything happen, they will delve much deeper. But luckily nothing happened for you.

I have a question, even with a 10 year visa - are you virtually (almost) guaranteed entry to US on only 1 drink drive charge?

I think it's more in terms of the insurance should anything happen, they will delve much deeper. But luckily nothing happened for you.

SilySausage12 - This is about persons who have points on their licence wanting car hire abroad. Not SP, DR.

I take your point in respect of having a full DR10 - but mine is a Dr40, 10 points on my licence.

I made loads of enquiries to the UK 'big names' who ply their trade abroad - phone calls, emails... all said as long as your UK licence is valid and in date their European partners (in my case Greece) do not recognise UK endorsements, therefore you will have no legal implications with your insurance. That said, when I picked the car up (after paying in advance) I was stressed. Paranoid the lady who dealt with me at the desk would tell me something I didn't want to he...but I could only go off the information Thrifty had given me - which was all systems go. You said ' should anything happen' but I can't elaborate on that hypothetical point.

Bearing in mind your created thread has over 3K views (with limited response) this is factual information. I sincerely hope this helps others.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off