Travel abroad with drink driving conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Pickle123

Hi.

Has anyone here from the UK had any issues travelling abroad with a drink driving conviction?

It is not something I have had to come across yet. But I've been reading a lot of conflicting stories particularly about countries like Mexico and the US and am just wondering what I should expect in reality.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

There should be no problems with visiting Mexico, as there is no visa to apply for.
As to the USA, the Post quoted by Hobgoblin above does not reflect the current situation unless you scroll through towards the end.
It starts in 2009, where the question that was asked on the entry paperwork was “have you ever been arrested for any offence (involving moral turpitude)
The problem was that this was not defined.
Now the question on the ESTA form, which was introduced with the same question, but was amended a few years ago, is: “have you.been arrested for any offence which involved serious injury to a person, significant damage to property or been involved in serious loss to your Government?” (As in tax evasion)
So unless you were involved in an accident involving high value damage, or seriously injured someone else, you can honestly answer ‘No’ to that question on the ESTA form and it is not a bar to you entering the USA.
One caveat to that though….. if you are going on business on pleasure and you need to apply for a visa, not the ESTA route, then the question is still “Have you ever been arrested for any criminal offense?” So the drink driving conviction would need to be declared. If the conviction was in the past 5 years then a medical may well be required (at your expense of about £350)

One caveat to that though….. if you are going on business on pleasure and you need to apply for a visa, not the ESTA route, then the question is still “Have you ever been arrested for any criminal offense?” So the drink driving conviction would need to be declared. If the conviction was in the past 5 years then a medical may well be required (at your expense of about £350)

could I ask why you would need a visa, and not an ESTA that included business?

could I ask why you would need a visa, and not an ESTA that included business?
The ESTA scheme is only for tourist travel, not for work purposes unless for a short specific purpose:

“A foreign national traveling to the United States to conduct temporary business needs a visitor visa (B-1) unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.

Examples of temporary business include:

Attending business meetings or consultations
Attending a business convention or conference
Negotiating contracts”

But If it is for more specific, or ongoing business purposes then a visa is required.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off