To tell or not to tell...

Convicted Driver Insurance

SillySausage123

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I just wanted to hear some experiences whether you told your employer about drink driving charge, how did it turn out were they supportive, did they fire you on the spot?
Did they simply find out? Did you not say anything at all?

I'm intrigued to know how you went about it, particularly if driving isn't a part of your role.

i think it depends on where you work and what you do for a living. Personally I declared everything to my employer as soon as I could, it meant a change of job, but I am still employed and earning the same. I work in the NHS, but not being honest can lead to significant problems. Things like this can lead to a breach of trust or contract, take advise from someone who knows your job/ employer or union. For everyone it can be different .
For my situation being open was best,

I was having a think earlier when you posted this so I did some poking in my paperwork and had a look at my contracts for the last 3 retail jobs I worked from 2012-2017. We spoke via private message about what happened with my work in 2018 when I was convicted.

A big name supermarket, big name car parts shop and a call center. All 3 set out that non disclosure of a criminal offence or ongoing criminal investigation will result in disciplinary action. I also know that you must declare it in an NHS position or any position that hinges on your character (teachers, youth workers, social workers etc) All it would take is one mouthy person to sink the ship if you do decide to hide it.

I was having a think earlier when you posted this so I did some poking in my paperwork and had a look at my contracts for the last 3 retail jobs I worked from 2012-2017. We spoke via private message about what happened with my work in 2018 when I was convicted.

A big name supermarket, big name car parts shop and a call center. All 3 set out that non disclosure of a criminal offence or ongoing criminal investigation will result in disciplinary action. I also know that you must declare it in an NHS position or any position that hinges on your character (teachers, youth workers, social workers etc) All it would take is one mouthy person to sink the ship if you do decide to hide it.

Or local papers/ reporters to sit in the court or review court papers

I mentioned that I spoke to silly sausage via direct message about what happened with my job. It was the newspaper that sank me! lol

I mentioned that I spoke to silly sausage via direct message about what happened with my job. It was the newspaper that sank me! lol

I wasn’t aware that was an option, I got through the court etc. without comment, it was when I was about to drive again that the local press picked it up and put a few full page spreads in both our local papers. Bottom line is if I hadn’t declared it I would have been sacked after 30 years! So think a it needs to be considered.
I am driving again but occasionally come back to the forum to try and help from my own experience. I am sure you will agree Grice being over the local papers and then on the subsequent page on this forum is not amusing and if at all possible should be avoided

Yes I got a nice piece in the 2 local papers. Thankfully my name didn't end up on this website, I was quite worried at the start that it would.

Funny enough our local paper has just run a piece on how someone who was banned 3 years ago for a particularly bad crash has been seen back on the road. 3 years after the offense and then being dragged through the mud a second time must be terrible.

Lol! That wasn’t me! I am sure you will agree, some people never actually post on this site and only read what others have written back, so going public as it were helps others
From my own perspective as an HRO, I read what others said. My own experience was easier I think. I had 24 days off alcohol after averaging 6 bottles of medium strength wine per week.
I passed the DVLA test at 0.8, after 2 media checks of 0.5, so they are near the mark.
I wasn’t given any challenges regarding alcohol misuse/ dependence nor did they write to my GP
My medical was 30th April, license back by 14th May, on road 17th June.
My insurance was cheaper than before my conviction! I think I was paying through the nose for my ex husbands work insurance, previously I was around £600 per year got my post ban insurance for £400.
After tonight I will probably not post again, but I am glad that you gave me the chance to say, don’t hide it sometimes it easier to say what’s happened than not

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off