Timescale for 12 month renewal

Convicted Driver Insurance

Tenatious66

Hi,
I started on S88 on the 23rd Jan , DVLA got my D1,M1,DG1 etc on 8/11/22, so 13 weeks ish this week, does anyone know what timescale is etc , btw they ain't written to my GP as of today 6/02... It's just I wanna PX my car with a top up with finance and I'm not gonna get it with S88 with the garage I wanna get my car from ,, I suppose there's More important things to stress over rite now but it like in 2021 get worse than an obsession, I'm calling every 3 days,viewing my license online every 2 hours/bookmarked, I hate where it says "you've no driving entertainment" even tho S88 is like some one said ,our buddy ATM

Hi,
I started on S88 on the 23rd Jan , DVLA got my D1,M1,DG1 etc on 8/11/22, so 13 weeks ish this week, does anyone know what timescale is etc , btw they ain't written to my GP as of today 6/02... It's just I wanna PX my car with a top up with finance and I'm not gonna get it with S88 with the garage I wanna get my car from ,, I suppose there's More important things to stress over rite now but it like in 2021 get worse than an obsession, I'm calling every 3 days,viewing my license online every 2 hours/bookmarked, I hate where it says "you've no driving entertainment" even tho S88 is like some one said ,our buddy ATM

My last 12 month driving licence expired in January 2022. For the last 13 months, I have been driving under S.88 of the Road Traffic Act.

I finally had my long awaited DVLA medical last week and I am now playing a waiting game.

My GP surgery caused part of the problem, as they took six months to respond to the medical questionaire last year.

Therefore, the point I'm making is - ''how long is a piece of string?''. You might still be waiting for you licence at Christmas, if you have had to endure the same timescale as me.

CJ

My last 12 month driving licence expired in January 2022. For the last 13 months, I have been driving under S.88 of the Road Traffic Act.

I finally had my long awaited DVLA medical last week and I am now playing a waiting game.

My GP surgery caused part of the problem, as they took six months to respond to the medical questionaire last year.

Therefore, the point I'm making is - ''how long is a piece of string?''. You might still be waiting for you licence at Christmas, if you have had to endure the same timescale as me.

CJ
I never had a Medical ? mine is a HRO case, my DR was written to 3 times last yr,, then DVLA med group were satisfied by reports, licensed me for 12 months ,so not sure,,, as i say, 13 weeks today DVLA got my returned forms, my GP has not been written too ? so i don't know, all i get is it's with the correct dept

Hi,
Why won't you get a part exchange and finance? The only issue you may have is getting insured driving under S88, but there are companies that will cover that.

I am literally off the phone with the DVLA (2nd time in 3 weeks.) Licence expires tomorrow (9/02/23) and I applied early November. Basically, a waste of time as all the guy could tell me was that they had received my application and it was being looked at. When I asked for a timescale for a Medical, he sadi it all depended on how busy the Practices were in my area. When I informed him that I had already contacted the practice I used twice previously and that they could fit me in within a week, he went silent and said it wasn't up to him but to the Medical Department.

I also know there are people on here who applied for a renewal after me and they already have their medicals booked, so it certainly isn't a first come first served basis.

Last edited:
Why won't you get a part exchange and finance? The only issue you may have is getting insured driving under S88, but there are companies that will cover that.

I am literally off the phone with the DVLA (2nd time in 3 weeks.) Licence expires tomorrow (9/02/23) and I applied early November. Basically, a waste of time as all the guy could tell me was that they had received my application and it was being looked at. When I asked for a timescale for a Medical, he sadi it all depended on how busy the Practices were in my area. When I informed him that I had already contacted the practice I used twice previously and that they could fit me in within a week, he went silent and said it wasn't up to him but to the Medical Department.

I also know there are people on here who applied for a renewal after me and they already have their medicals booked, so it certainly isn't a first come first served basis.
My licence up on 8th feb(today)o applied same time as you well 7th Nov. The medical team recieved it on 6th december as of Monday I was still in the queue,unfortunately I'm expecting to be at this stage for quite a while .so S88 for me from tomorrow. Just have to try and chill about it or it's liable to drive you nuts.. pardon the pun :(

Good evening

Well I can finally provide my own timescale of applying for my second driving licence since the conclusion of my DD ban.

The dates are as follows -

21st Jan 2021 - first 12 month driving licence issued following a 22 month DD ban.

24th Oct 2021 - posted a D1 via recorded delivery to Swansea as it was just 90 days from the (then) current licence expiring.

5th Nov 2021 - recieved an A4 DVLA medical questionaire through the post from Swansea.

9th Nov 2021 - completed DVLA medical questionaire send via recorded delivery to Swansea.

21st Jan 2022 - 12 month driving licence expires. Begin driving under Section 88.

27th May 2022 - receive letter from Swansea stating they have contacted my GP via letter on the 21st May (my own letter was also dated the 21st).

23rd Sep 2022 - contacted my GP surgery who eventually acknowledged the medical questionnaire had been recieved in May and was still awaiting the GP's attention.

2nd Nov 2022 - recieved a brief DVLA letter stating they were still awaiting a reply from my GP. Contacted the surgery again who stated the questionaire was now with the GP.

7th Dec 2022 - recieved a DVLA letter asking me to attend a designated doctor for my second post ban medical. I had to pre-book the appointment within 12 weeks.

14th Dec 2022 - because of delays in the postal system, I had to await for the DVLA approved doctor to receive the Swansea paperwork so the appointment could then be booked. Appointment then made for the 31st Jan 2023.

31st Jan 2023 - Attend DVLA medical appointment. No issues.

9th Feb 2023 - finally receive my second driving licence through the post.

As I guessed, the new licence, is for another 12 months, so yet again, I have to ride the merry-go-round from November when I re-apply for the third licence.

This whole sorry affair has taken roughly 15 and a half months from sending the D1 to finally getting the licence in my hand. I wonder if this is a new record!!!!

CJ

Good evening

Well I can finally provide my own timescale of applying for my second driving licence since the conclusion of my DD ban.

21st Jan 2021 - first 12 month driving licence issued following a 22 month DD ban.

24th Oct 2021 - posted a D1 via recorded delivery to Swansea as it was just 90 days from the (then) current licence expiring.

5th Nov 2021 - recieved an A4 DVLA medical questionaire through the post from Swansea.

9th Nov 2021 - completed DVLA medical questionaire send via recorded delivery to Swansea.

21st Jan 2022 - 12 month driving licence expires. Begin driving under Section 88.

27th May 2022 - receive letter from Swansea stating they have contacted my GP via letter on the 21st May (my own letter was also dated the 21st).

23rd Sep 2022 - contacted my GP surgery who eventually acknowledged the medical questionnaire had been recieved in May and was still awaiting the GP's attention.

2nd Nov 2022 - recieved a brief DVLA letter stating they were still awaiting a reply from my GP. Contacted the surgery again who stated the questionaire was now with the GP.

7th Dec 2022 - recieved a DVLA letter asking me to attend a designated doctor for my second post ban medical. I had to pre-book the appointment within 12 weeks.

14th Dec 2022 - because of delays in the postal system, I had to await for the DVLA approved doctor to receive the Swansea paperwork so the appointment could then be booked. Appointment then made for the 31st Jan 2023.

As I guessed, the new licence, is for another 12 months, so yet again, I have to ride the merry-go-round from November when I re-apply for the third licence.

This whole sorry affair has taken roughly 15 and a half months from sending the D1 to finally getting the licence in my hand. I wonder if this is a new record!!!!

CJ
At least it's sorted for now CJ! Took longer than a mission to Mars (which is where most of the DVLA staff seem to be from coincidentally ;))

Good evening

CJ
7 months for your GP to reply is just extracting the urine. There must be some professional body you can complain to.

Someone else on the forum applied for their renewal in December and already has a date for their medical.

The system is bonkers. It should be first come first served but clearly isn't.

My initial 1 year licence took 210 days after my ban ended to be issued. I applied 15th July 2021 and received licence on 10/02/2022.

7 months for your GP to reply is just extracting the urine. There must be some professional body you can complain to.

Someone else on the forum applied for their renewal in December and already has a date for their medical.

My initial 1 year licence took 210 days after my ban ended to be issued. I applied 15th July 2021 and received licence on 10/02/2022.

Luna

I believe my GP practice has in fact come under the spot light recently because of issues raised by both patients and other health care agencies.

In 2021, they lost three of their most senior GP's through retirement and a popular female GP left to move elsewhere. Since then, there have been different GP's coming and going and the main issue is the incompetence of the Practice Manager and her minions who are appalling to deal with.

This time next year (2023), when the DVLA come to write to them again a third time, I will be pressing on them a bit more. I'm inclined to change surgeries, but I would rather have the consistency of the same GP while I am under the DVLA radar.

I am not surprised that I recieved a 12 month licence. I reckon I will probably have at least two further yearly licences before I do get a longer one. It's a case of keeping myself on my toes and making sure I play the DVLA system.

By my reckoning, I won't pass the 7 year milestone with my recorded sobriety until the summer of 2026, so I do at least anticipate further upheaval with the cronies in the DVLA medical team for three more years.

Thankfully, come 2026, I should be at least looking to finally close the whole book on all of this nonscene and finally move forward without being constantly reminded of my past mistakes.

CJ

At least it's sorted for now CJ! Took longer than a mission to Mars (which is where most of the DVLA staff seem to be from coincidentally ;))

Yes mate, a very long winded affair. Just a pity I'm not yet out of the woods with dealing with the DVLA medical team. They didn't even telephone me this time round to give me the good news. I simply received the new 12 month licence through the post. I probably have at least three more years of this before they finally give me that longer licence, but hey ho, there is still good old Section 88 to fall back on.

CJ

I applied for my first year renewal at the end of August. I received a letter end of Dec to say they had written to my GP, they replied a month ago. I’ve not heard anything else yet.

I’m going through the same process license ended yesterday currently on S88 do you have to do a medical every time? My concern is I changed my GP who I’ve never even seen and now I have relocated and will be changing my GP again so they won’t have any information on me due to my medical records not being on the NHS system this is going to be a sh*t show I can feel it already!

Good evening

CJ
Seven months for your GP to reply! That is truly shocking. I have this all to come. Every time I go to my surgery for the routine and random stuff we all do, there’s a new doctor. All very good, but no continuity but I’ve always been of the opinion that so long as they have a medical degree annd access to my medical records, so what. But now I’m just imagining my medical questionnaire from them back to the DVLA full of “duh I dunno” answers. If they even answer cos the impression I’m getting is we are absolutely chucked to the bottom of the heap. No claps for them if that’s the case.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off